Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Hester issue

Jordan99

Hi all, posting on behalf of a friend. 

He has a mk2 focus (62 plate). Ther interior heater have stopped working? They blow cold air, air con works fine, just not blowing heat? I’ve checked fuse 85 under the glove box. But that’s fine. Are there any other fuses or things I can check for them? 

Thanks in advance guys 

Mk3 Focus***

Is it manual dials or climate control?

Coolant level fine?

in my nearly 40 years of driving I have often found that no heat from heater means the coolant level is too low.

it can also be because the heater matrix is clogged up with dirt/silt etc but not very likely. More likely if car has not had antifreeze in (which is usually also a corrosion inhibitor)

• Like 1

I will tell them to check the cooling level, I wasn’t aware that the car used coolent to heat the car interior, learnt something new! & they’re manual I believe, but 100% sure, again I will check this. 

Cheers guys 

It's a bit like central heating radiators in your house. The engine heats the water (coolant) and it gets pumped into the heater matrix (radiator) in the dashboard.

The fan then blows air over the heater matrix so the heater matrix warms the air.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, isetta said:

It's a bit like central heating radiators in your house. The engine heats the water (coolant) and it gets pumped into the heater matrix (radiator) in the dashboard.

Not like my house...  Only ever had electric storage heaters... :tongue: 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

I will tell them to check the cooling level, I wasn’t aware that the car used coolent to heat the car interior, learnt something new! & they’re manual I believe, but 100% sure, again I will check this. 

Cheers guys 

Yeah, exactly as Isetta said. :smile: On the mk3 (and other modern cars) there is also an electric heater that works before the coolant heats up as well but as it's very high on electricity it switches off as soon as the coolant is warm.

There are some common coolant leaks on the mk3 petrols, so well worth checking this asap if it's a 1.0 or 1.6 petrol to avoid potential engine damage if something is leaking. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 8:52 AM, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, exactly as Isetta said. :smile: On the mk3 (and other modern cars) there is also an electric heater that works before the coolant heats up as well but as it's very high on electricity it switches off as soon as the coolant is warm.

There are some common coolant leaks on the mk3 petrols, so well worth checking this asap if it's a 1.0 or 1.6 petrol to avoid potential engine damage if something is leaking. 

Do you know where the most common leaks are located? They did have the car serviced which included a coolant change. Considering one of their friends did the service, I guessed that they didn’t bleed the system so when the air released itself, the coolant level would’ve dropped. 

Depends which engine as there are different problems for each.  Most have been recalled now.

As they'd just had a coolant change though, that is most likely the issue as you suggested. :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

solved: there was a split water pipe. not sure what as i didn't look myself. Cheers guys!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club