Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flatlines at 4000 rpm?

DrBobF

Hi

Just bought a low mileage (50k) 2003 2.0L auto.  It starts touch of the key and is okay around town, although there is a low throttle misfire/hunting. The main problem is that it will not go above 4000 rpm in any gear. Back off and it is fine and smooth again. Found the fault on a motorway - drops gear on kickdown fine but flatlines at 4K and won't go above. It was an "interesting experience".....

I have a basic code reader and there were none stored

Thanks in advance - really appreciate any suggestions

Bob

You need to get a good reader, Forscan is a free download, you'll need a laptop and a modified elm connector like this https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx, you can set it up to record real time, very useful,forum goes with it, it's Ford specific so you get all the codes.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to drop it into somewhere with good diagnostics? Problem is that if I find a code, I'm not going to be able to fix it. It's a pain of a problem as it runs great under 4K, apart from a bit of hunting at low throttle, and is a nice car. 

Bob

When was it last serviced? Something as simple as a fuel filter change can make a big difference.

It was serviced in December but, as I'm very aware, there is serviced and "serviced".... Fuel filter is a good thought as I've a feeling that it may well have been changed a long time ago....

Someone I know did suggest fuel pump?  So far, I've had suggestions linking it to fuel pump, MAF (whatever that is), and a blocked cat ( there is a medical joke there somewhere).

Really appreciate the help - these forums are brilliant. 

Bob

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club