Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Door Panel Squeak

DG97

Hello,

This morning I have noticed a squeak/rattle coming from the drivers door when driving. It’s a bit worst when listening to music and the sound seems to just increase the rattle slightly. It can be stopped if you put pressure on the drivers door from the inside but as you can imagine that’s hardly a practical solution and it comes back 5 minutes later. It’s not very loud but loud enough to be annoying especially to say the car is new and covered just over a 1000 miles. Has anyone had any similar issues with their MK8’s? I will probably take it to my dealer but do you think they’ll look at it as part of warranty? 

Yes, they should look at any issues you have under warranty.

• Like 1

I had exactly the same, and went back to the dealer. They fixed it, but now after another 1000 miles it's back again. I know where it's coming from; the piece of the door where you can store any items is rattling at the connecting point near the front of the door. I can stop it by just placing my hand on this part, or putting something in there like a shirt which gives some pressure. Maybe I will go back to the dealer... but I don't really have the ability to go to the dealer the coming weeks and I don't have a lot of trust in them fixing it now. I would think that by removing the door panel and securing the screw which connect the 'luggage' piece (I'm not English, guess that's not the word :-) ) it should be fixed.... Not sure how hard it is to remove the door panel but almost would like to try this myself on a weekend day. 

But I'm happy to read someone else is having the same issues, might be an issue more Fiesta Mk8's have. I hate it especially as I have the B&O system which sounds great but some bass notes make it rattle a lot.... 

10 hours ago, Martijn89 said:

I had exactly the same, and went back to the dealer. They fixed it, but now after another 1000 miles it's back again. I know where it's coming from; the piece of the door where you can store any items is rattling at the connecting point near the front of the door. I can stop it by just placing my hand on this part, or putting something in there like a shirt which gives some pressure. Maybe I will go back to the dealer... but I don't really have the ability to go to the dealer the coming weeks and I don't have a lot of trust in them fixing it now. I would think that by removing the door panel and securing the screw which connect the 'luggage' piece (I'm not English, guess that's not the word :-) ) it should be fixed.... Not sure how hard it is to remove the door panel but almost would like to try this myself on a weekend day. 

But I'm happy to read someone else is having the same issues, might be an issue more Fiesta Mk8's have. I hate it especially as I have the B&O system which sounds great but some bass notes make it rattle a lot.... 

Thanks for that... yeah I suspect it’s going to be a Mk8 problem. I too have the B&O system and any bass notes come up, the rattle drives you insane. 

I was struggling to find the point where it rattles so will check the front of the door storage compartment. 

If I can’t fix it myself, will give it to the dealer to have a look but just not got too much time at the moment. Plus, if they fix it for it to just come back a 1000 miles later is going to be annoying to say the least. 

Yeah I agree, I sort of have the feeling that they don't take issues like this that serious. We'll see where it goes, if it continues to annoy me I probably go back to the dealer sometime soon. Good luck with it, let me know if you found something helpful!

• Like 1

Hey!

It happens to me too. On my 3-door ST-Line. It does that on both doors. The car will be going to the dealer due to clutch issues, but I made an actual PDF that lists every little thing that I think that is wrong with the car. Filled almost two pages.

Let's see what they can do about those noises. I'll give feedback if they tell me anything about it.

Cheers from Portugal.

I (think I) have found the source of the rattle, it's almost 100% the door storage part on the drivers side. I can replicate the issue with a lot of bass, if I put some pressure on the area, it usually either stops rattling or is more silent. As the car is a couple of weeks old and covered just over 1000 miles, I won't bother doing anything myself yet. I'm going to take it to the dealer and let them fix it. Only day that works for me is Saturdays though and I went yesterday but they were a bit busy and next Saturday they're moving to a new site so going to have to wait for 2 weeks unless I squeeze it in somehow during the week. 

I have the B&O sound too and it's incredibly annoying that you pay extra for that to then have the door rattling at you when you turn the volume up above "average". 

I see you mentioned too that the sound came back and you think they don't take stuff like that seriously. I'm really hoping they fix it on first attempt for me but I won't be letting it go until it's definitely gone. Didn't have a rattle like that on a 2003 Corolla so won't be putting up with it on a new car. 

I have a really annoing creack from the dashboard on the drivers side (lhd). After a 10 minutes drive it creaks when going on an off throttle. The dealer looked (had a rattle when accelerating in the dashboard from 1700-2500 rpm) at it and it was over for a couple of weeks. Now it is back again. Anyone an idea?

I'm quite happy to hear others have the same issue, hopefully someone finds a fix for this which I can present to the dealer. I also found that it is the storage compartment on the door, for me it is only at the passengers door though. It is really annoying indeed, you pay a lot of extra money for a B&O system and then the car starts rattling... Even at low volumes, and my bass slider is nicely in the middle so it's not that I'm abusing the Speakers. :-)

A quick fix for the time being: place a t-shirt, scarf or anything soft in the storage compartment in the door. Make sure it fits secure and pretty tight, it will give enough pressure and damping to prevent the rattling from happening. 

It is a car with a lot of rattles and squeaks though... which is kind of sad as the rest of the car is so much better than the previous Fiesta. When I drive in the sun after the car was in the shade the panoramic roof starts to rattle (the springs for the wind shield). It's not so annoying as the rattle from the door however. Let's hope the dealer can fix your issues, I will be going back to them soon as well to hopefully get this fixed. 

• Like 1

I did try to slot something in to dampen it a bit. I actually have a wipe thing I use that I store in the compartment anyway. I did squeeze that in nicely but it didn’t quite dampen it enough. I have found a way though and that is to get something in the panel gap around the door storage such as a business card and wedge it in the panel. It has dampened it quite a bit! Still of course wanting it fixed properly though

7 hours ago, DG97 said:

I did try to slot something in to dampen it a bit. I actually have a wipe thing I use that I store in the compartment anyway. I did squeeze that in nicely but it didn’t quite dampen it enough. I have found a way though and that is to get something in the panel gap around the door storage such as a business card and wedge it in the panel. It has dampened it quite a bit! Still of course wanting it fixed properly though

Great idea! Have been thinking about that as well.. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Unfortunately, on my way to work I have noticed that the door storage now also rattles when driving (not just affected by bass notes) with the sound off. Putting a bit of pressure on the door storage cures it but it is obviously bad fitment. I’m going to try on Saturday to see if my dealer can take a look at it.

as much as I like the MK8, I have to say, that’s really not good enough by Ford. I realise the Fiesta is not a “prestige” kind of car and not expecting Lexus like quality but for rattles to start at couple of weeks old and just over a 1000 miles, it’s really not good enough.

• Like 1

Yeah, same here. It rattles sometimes even though I'm not listening to music. Have you brought it to your dealer already? I'm curious about a good and permanent fix, my dealership didn't quite fixed it the first time so I might go back sometime soon. 

And I really agree, it's just not good enough for this car. They designed it with a big quality boost in mind, and it really is there, but here are details which are just not correct. I had an off-center steering wheel, a rattle in the door, a rattle from the roof.. Just not what you expect from a new car which was designed to take quality to the next level.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martijn89 said:

Yeah, same here. It rattles sometimes even though I'm not listening to music. Have you brought it to your dealer already? I'm curious about a good and permanent fix, my dealership didn't quite fixed it the first time so I might go back sometime soon. 

And I really agree, it's just not good enough for this car. They designed it with a big quality boost in mind, and it really is there, but here are details which are just not correct. I had an off-center steering wheel, a rattle in the door, a rattle from the roof.. Just not what you expect from a new car which was designed to take quality to the next level.

I actually went in today as the dealership was moving sites so it was hard to get a time to come in. I went in and showed the mechanic the issue, he drove it and heard the noise when driving with no music. They said they will look at, take the door panel off and play around so going to trust them to give that a good go. But I do think the best long term fix would be to place some padding in where the panels meet to have something soft absorbing the noise otherwise it will probably keep returning. It’s probably going to be a couple of weeks until they see my car as i’m too busy to just drop it in whenever but i’m looking at 14th of June at the moment. As soon as I have heard something, I will be sure to let you know! 

Couldn’t have worded that better myself. Overall the car for a small car is good quality but small stuff like that just adds up and hearing rattles after 1000 miles is not really what you want from a new car. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i’m still having the issues with the rattle but have noticed a rattle is now also coming from (I think) the same place but on the passenger door. I’ve let my dealer know and they’ll be looking on the 14th of June. I have noticed a couple of other minor rattles around the place which is a bit disappointing as even if the materials used can be of average quality, you still expect it to be put together properly. 

Was wondering if anyone is still having issues and if anybody had any fixes for any rattles? 

Man that sucks. It's often the small things like this that are the most annoying and worrisome, as you know it's not the most world-ending thing, but it should still be taken seriously!

Just FYI, I'm in a 2018 MK8 ST-Line 140PS (3dr) without any of the B&O stuff, and I've not noticed any rattle, even at reasonable volume. I've just hit 1000 miles, so hopefully I'll remain rattle-free.

But yeah, I'm guessing this is a B&O version problem, more than a universal MK8 problem? Really hope you guys get it sorted, anyway. That kind of issue would drive me mad, quite honestly!

• Like 1

it may turn out to be a B&O problem but even if so, it’s actually the plastics around the speaker rather than the speaker itself. I hope they sort it too! Although as the car is 2 months old, I’ll be insisting on them sorting it no matter what it takes. Like you say, it’s a minor thing at the end of the day but good lord it drives you insane haha

• Like 1

Hoping I don't have this issue.

Do you think you could take a photo of your fix and where you put the business card, scarf, etc.?

Sure, i’ll try and get something but to be honest it isn’t strictly “a fix”, it dampens the noise a bit but the only fix is for your dealer to take it off and investigate where it’s coming from. 

In my opinion theres only 2 things for it really, one is a cheap fix - put a bit of blue tac where the panels join and where they are connected to the metal I.e around the screws , that would get rid of it as the panels aren’t physically touching each other and have something soft between them. Do that from the inside of the panel of course. 

Second way would be to either screw it in properly and if it comes back, get some proper padding in on the inside of the doors. 

Either way, at 17k for mine, it’s not a budget car so I won’t let it rattle away after 2 months of having it. 

Hope it doesn’t happen on yours though! 

• Like 1

For some reason it fixed itself on my car.. I haven't had the issue since a while now, before I had to pull or push on the compartment to make it stop. If it starts again I will go back to the dealer as well, just like you say I don't think this should happen on a new car. I'm now at 5500 miles, and I never had a car before with so many rattles and squeaks.. The panoramic roof is the major one now, after a day in the sun the windscreen will vibrate against the glass roof. Only way to make it stop is to drive open so the roof and windscreen can cool down, and then close the roof again. Not the best solution.. 

Of course all new cars have some issues, but this just bugs me and when you notice it it's really hard to forget it while driving. For the rest I love the car, but this just seems like a quality mishap from Ford! 

• Like 2

That’s good! Sorry to hear about the panoramic roof though. 

Yeah, same here, when I notice a rattle, you can’t just “forget” about it, you notice it and listen out for it. 

I too like the car but just wish the build quality was that tiny bit higher to reflect the price which isn’t budget. 

I've also got an issue with the panoramic roof - was silent for a couple of thousand miles, now creaks a lot with any body flex. Sometimes worse than others depending on temperature, also stops if roof fully open. To me it sounds like the frame of the glass roof on the metal of the body at the rear of the moving section. New thread for roof noises? 

Ok, so I picked my car up today from the dealer, I can't hear much at the moment from the drivers side, passenger side, possibly still there but not sure if its the same rattle or a different one. 

Managed to get a puncture when the car was in at the dealer, it's free to fix as part of my service pack but got a sneaking suspicion that the puncture occured when the car was with them (maybe a screw laying around in the workshop,) as the pressure was fine the night before as I actually looked at the pressure monitoring in the car and in the morning it was fine too. But whatever, fixed for free so no cost on me. 

I'll definitely be keeping an ear out for the noise returning (and I bet it most likely will). I've said this before but I like the MK8 Fiesta but the build quality in my honest opinion is edging a bit on the poor side. Such an improvement on the previous gen but it's a case of so close but yet that tiny bit too far from Ford!

Plus I had a courtesy Fiesta (zetec I think), i could hear the exact same rattle, drivers side door pocket/bin, so i'd say the rattles will be quite common.

I too have this issue with the door rattles. My car is due for it's first service soon (I'm at 15.000 km now) will have the dealership take a look at it and hope they can fix it. I can hear it while I'm driving and with some songs it's absolutely horrible.