Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Change Noises - Mk3 TDCI

SamCappo

Good afternoon all,

As the title suggests, I'm experiencing some noises whilst changing gear. 

I own a 2013 1.6TDCI Zetec S with 13,000 miles on the clock.

When I put the clutch in and change gear, I can physically hear the gears changing, it's not a loud or violent noise, just a bit clicky. Now, I appreciate this might be completely normal. I've never owned a Ford before, only German/Japanese cars, this noise doesn't bother me too much but just find it a bit weird.

The noise that does bother me is a slight knocking noise when releasing the clutch between gears 1-3. Doesn't happen in any other gear. This happens when being gentle at low revs, I'm 95% sure it isn't a motor mount issue as when I floor it and be quite aggressive with the clutch the noise doesn't happen. The noise occurs right at the biting point before the new gear engages.

The transmission fluid looks really clean and is at the correct level, the clutch isn't slipping at all despite the biting point being relatively high, I've tested it extensively. Got a lot of pedal travel but I'm told this is normal with Fords.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm not the type of driver to just turn the radio up and ignore it, more the type to turn the radio down and listen out for it haha!

Help is greatly appreciated, I'm really enjoying owning the car, just need to sort out the niggles :-)

IMAG0509.jpg

When sat at traffic lights in natural, when putting into first gear I feel a clunk from the engine as if it is engaging a gear in the gear box, it' quite weird but only happens at a slight incline other times never notice it. (2.0d)

• Like 1

I've posted about similar before, I find it impossible to get a perfect change in the mk3 during slow speed driving either up or down shifting, yet it's fine if I thrash about lol.  Ive been driving various cars over 10 years now and never had issues like this before.  I think it is normal and most people just ignore it or don't notice it as I see a lot of modern cars hopping or bobbing down in traffic during gearchanges...I feel really embarrassed if I can't get a clean shift but they don't seem to care lol. 

Part of the issue is the lack of clutch feel and the over assistance from the pedal spring.  It's also partly the euro 5 emmisions mapping which alters the revs separately from driver input, especially when the engine is cold.  On top of that the engine mounts are quite soft as well.  It all makes for quite an unpleasant town driving experience imo, which is such a shame as it cruises well in the higher gears.

I also get the stationary 1st gear selection clunk but only if I've clutched in and stopped in 3rd, if I drop to 2nd (with an uncomfortable downshift!) then it doesn't do it so it must just be the gear alignment in the box.  

On 5/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, TomsFocus said:

I've posted about similar before, I find it impossible to get a perfect change in the mk3 during slow speed driving either up or down shifting, yet it's fine if I thrash about lol.  Ive been driving various cars over 10 years now and never had issues like this before.  I think it is normal and most people just ignore it or don't notice it as I see a lot of modern cars hopping or bobbing down in traffic during gearchanges...I feel really embarrassed if I can't get a clean shift but they don't seem to care lol. 

Part of the issue is the lack of clutch feel and the over assistance from the pedal spring.  It's also partly the euro 5 emmisions mapping which alters the revs separately from driver input, especially when the engine is cold.  On top of that the engine mounts are quite soft as well.  It all makes for quite an unpleasant town driving experience imo, which is such a shame as it cruises well in the higher gears.

I also get the stationary 1st gear selection clunk but only if I've clutched in and stopped in 3rd, if I drop to 2nd (with an uncomfortable downshift!) then it doesn't do it so it must just be the gear alignment in the box.  

It's comforting to hear others experience the same thing. It's just annoying when you spend £10,000 on a car with 12,000 miles on it for the sole purpose of a smooth and reliable driving experience.

The symptoms you explained are EXACTLY the same as mine. I drove my partner's 2007 MK2 earlier, it has 145,000 miles on the clock and doesn't make even the slightest of noises. I was dropping the clutch and treating it like shxt but it was deafly silent in gears 1, 2 and 3 haha!

Luckily for me, my commute doesn't involve any town driving whatsoever really. Although the odd bit I have to do I get round by changing lower gears at higher revs. In gears 4, 5 and 6 there isn't a whisper of gear/drivetrain/clutch clunk (whatever the hell it is).

Same as me with the lack of clutch feel and my pedal travel is sooooo long. It's just so annoying because the car genuinely feels quite refined in almost every other department. I'll try not to worry about it until my drivetrain snaps, I've got 11 months left of an AA/Ford platinum warranty which gives some peace of mind.

My old Focus 1.6 TDCi was the same just adapted to it in the end I can hear them on my ST but nowhere near as much and only between 1st and 2nd

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club