Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

I do wish I’d taken more photos! I think once I got into it I just forgot 😞 right....

the grey usb isn’t used, on the facelift that just connects to the usb in front of the gearstick. 

Exactly what you said with regards to the plug, the big black plug sits roughly level with the gearstick but more towards the floor so you will need to extend the cable to your apim from there. 

For the usb that also finishes where the black plug does so will also need to be extended to the Apim. I bought 2 of these cables and used a usb coupler and ran them from the hub to the apim 

85753AF7-CE30-4299-AD2A-71FE2C787540.png

• Like 1

Thanks. Just need a bezel for the hub, a trim piece and donor plug/pins.

your welcome to my left over pins but they do require some work to get them in 👍🏻

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get to a scrapper today bit if not I'd appreciate them if there's enough. I'd be happy to send you some cash to help you recoup the cost of import 🙂

See how you get on with a spare plug, if I could go back that’s what I would do 👍🏻

• Like 1

Righto. I've just had delivery of my sync system from @mastachaz (really well packaged, thanks for that mate!).

Just to familiarise myself with everything: 

Display (FCDIM?)

Radio (ACM?)

And the plastic chassis.

Correct?

20180516_115705.thumb.jpg.b123d57bf95b046473d981c8c52ca7fa.jpg

Fascia and controls (APIM?)

20180516_115735.thumb.jpg.28c3771cc639d2c82340baa4f7227adf.jpg

All in brilliant condition!

I've had a look at the vent controls and it looks like it should be possible to swap over the ones from my titanium with the chrome effect trims to keep it all matching. If I do, I'll put up a little guide for that in case you wanna go back and do yours @Luke_Anderson! I also assume that the two lugs you say need removing are at the bottom there (though you can only see one next to the white bit at the bottom?)

20180516_115800.thumb.jpg.0a44af535d9ff11498ea2240edf356c6.jpg

Also, I'm guessing the trim piece that's missing (that @mastachaz has obviously reused in his sync 3 upgrade) goes across the bottom here?:20180516_115809.thumb.jpg.f1b2c383b0c0dacc52d3ee7b1ea5a0af.jpg

Finally, can you just reaffirm what's what with the following plugs?: I see now what you mean about the USB one now.

20180516_122106.thumb.jpg.f4181b1f41d14c9e664aba0513cc6613.jpg

Looking good! 

So the display is the fcdim

the radio is the acm 

and the unit on the rear of the screen with the 54pin plug and the usb is the apim. 

The front fascia controls are the fcim.

Yes with regards to the lugs, although that’s just a starting point, you need to trim the whole bottom back ( I’ll attach a picture ) and yes the missing trim covers the bottom. 

The plugs are obviously the usb to media hub, the 54pin apim ( sync ) plug and the acm plugs, you need to move 2 wires from the larger to the smaller plug. 

As for the vents I may have beat you to it 😂 

5930B949-B181-4D25-9CEF-3C88687EAEE8.jpeg

0FF0BB8A-5340-4DF2-BC71-90CB5F27DF9D.jpeg

09784AB4-94B4-4852-BF08-B4876F00CEE9.jpeg

6D0372AD-5D80-41B1-8511-6050AC7F1054.jpeg

08BFD22A-F3BC-44F3-9008-D69E31373F73.jpeg

30D255CC-681A-49BC-87A8-D014A08055BA.jpeg

• Like 1

I've finally ordered all the bit's n bobs I need! Looking forward to doing the upgrade! although I'm skipping 2 and going right to 3 with help from your guide and some other guides!!

I may bug you if I have questions! haha! 

3 hours ago, skullyi said:

I've finally ordered all the bit's n bobs I need! Looking forward to doing the upgrade! although I'm skipping 2 and going right to 3 with help from your guide and some other guides!!

I may bug you if I have questions! haha! 

3 is the same other than the media hub plug, and the gpsm 👍🏻

• Like 2

Ah good, so it can be done 🙂

Thanks for the trim piece code. £20 on eBay seems a bit steep!

Go to ford, it was about £6+vat I’m sure 👍🏻

• Like 1

Will do. I need the bezel anyway.

Is the module that came with my media loom the keyless antenna do you know?

Edit: I asked Google like I should have done! It's ONE of the KE system antennae.

Hm. I may have just made a useful discovery.

I've had a look at the remainder of the loom I got with the media hub. Looks like this plug:1526582362321-1373302226.thumb.jpg.6ccbeeee8588d36a7f59027f7eb6254f.jpg

has the required molex pins, yes no?

Well I had a couple of hours on this last night so got the hard bits out of the way.

Sync 1 is now in the boot (though so is Sync 2 atm), the sync 2 fascia has been trimmed and the new wires have been put in. 

Need to alter the existing wiring, change the config and actually fit the unit and it's done!

I keep looking wistfully at the sync 1 fascia. I can't help feeling the sync 2 one is a bit...boring. I'm going to get some gloss black wrap and make it look a bit more like the sync 1 one.

I think part of it is that I like lots of buttons...

If it's ok with you, @Luke_Anderson, I'm gonna do a write up for this on my build thread with a few more dismantling pictures, but I'll link back to this one for your pdf so you get props for your research and efforts?

Looks like they may well be! Nice find 👍🏻👍🏻

Glad to see my guide has been inspiring! By all means do a guide as I didn’t really take enough pictures, let me know when it’s up and I’ll edit my original post with a link to yours 👍🏻👍🏻

As for the fascia I am tempted to order one from the states and kill 2 birds with one stone, not only do you get a more interesting fascia with Sony branding but also you get the door lock button back 👍🏻

3413354E-F62B-4094-AAFE-670F9614422F.jpeg

606CEFE4-F84B-4756-A7F8-7CA208319E63.png

• Like 1

Take my money!!!!

Yeah that's perfect. Will it work ok with the euro sync systems?

I might nudge @JW1982 for his knowledge on this one?

Edit: it also looks like that fascia has the "lap cooler" vents that point downwards from the console like the sync 1 fascia has?

As far as I know it does, you’ll need to wire in the hazard and door lock but that’s straightforward. It’s a cross between the prefacelift and facelift in the uk, in the states they had sync 2 straight away and this is the fascia from that. It’s about £100 + import 

• Like 1

The USA My Ford Touch (MFT) system has been available since 2012. This system was never available in Europe. The SYNC 2 system is basically a redesigned/facelifted version of the MFT system.

The fascia of the MFT system should be fully compatible with the SYNC 2 system.

In the USA the SYNC 2 and SYNC 3 Sony systems do also have a different fascia with Sony branding.

• Like 1

It’s just a lot of outlay to get one here! 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Wilco! Knew I could count on you.

31 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

It’s just a lot of outlay to get one here! 

Err.... Two, you mean!

😛

Where did you source it?

That was just on eBay, if you find an American breaker that has 2 in good condition let me know and I’ll go halves with you 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hm I had a look but could find one. I know it's called myford touch over there but that didn't bring anything up either...

I don't suppose we can order from ford...

I could do with a few more pointers on the wiring if you don't mind?

I get moving the pins in the sync loom and adding the media hub wires, but I'm not quite sure what else needs to be done regarding the two smaller plugs and tapping into the can wires in the air-con?

20180519_131432.thumb.jpg.ceead113c294318e83617d76158256ec.jpgWait is that what it means here for pins 16 and 17?

That's a choice of locations : gpsm/HVAC? So I need a couple more molex pins?

There's a few spare in the MH loom, but I've already chased that through the console... Bum!

Edit: one more question (for now!) ACM main plug is the larger one with a large pin either end? ACM accessory plug is the smaller one?

Yeah I should have made that clearer, some go direct to the gpsm but I went to the blue plug for the air con controls, works just fine and easier to run the cables, 👍🏻 

And yes the larger one with the pins on either end is the main one, you take the 2 cables from there and move them to the smaller connector 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club