Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Ok bud hope you get sorted. 

Still haven't sort out my park pilot issue.

Also noticed today when using the sat nav for the first time that while it works fine on the 8", the turn directions in the speedo cluster tell me theres 9999 yards to go till the next turning! Then drops by half every few seconds!

I think there may be an issue with a significant bit somewhere lol!

That’s odd, maybe check your settings again. I adjusted the same bit for park pilot and works fine 👍🏻

To be fair I didn't load in another as built. I'll compare my sync 2 data with this sync 3 and see if I can find the error.

Odd about the sat nav though. Do you get your dash telling you it's 1786miles to the next turn??

Ive removed the gpsm module to see if that's the cause, but can't test right now to see.

I’d try loading a sync 3 as built and then make your adjustments from there, i found the asbuilt quite different between the 2. My dash display works fine 👍🏻

Welp! I'm back from my festival and today was the day I was going to program my car.... BUT when I loaded up FoCCCus and tried to read from the IPC... my car crashed and it said it couldn't read from it... so I'm not going to lie... I'm a little nervous to continue in case I break the damn thing!  I managed to load the as built data from a different focus fine but as soon as FoCCCus came out my car was NOT happy haha!

Any advice or ideas as to why it would crash my car's on board computers and force a car wide reboot? 

Another note.... Now I have a navigation fault.... *sigh* today just gets better and better!

And another note! I can't get the IPC value to 09, it only allows me to go to 08

Well I fixed the Nav fault, restored her back to what I had originally in the as built data, I swear things just aren't going the way I want them to today!!  Clearly programming this in is going to take a while *sigh* 

Right F*** it I'll revert what I've done for now, come back to it after some research.  All this just to get my calls system working again!! 🤬🤬🤬

On a side note.... I swear  after resetting the DTC codes or reflashing her or whatever changed, I swear her AirCon is working again and her performance has increased.... don't ask me why but suddenly things have improved and I don't know what I did 🤣

😂 I’ve found focccus to be unreliable at the best of times, I didn’t need to go back and change anything when going from sync 2 to 3 just the asbuilt using forscan 👍🏻

On 6/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, Luke_Anderson said:

😂 I’ve found focccus to be unreliable at the best of times, I didn’t need to go back and change anything when going from sync 2 to 3 just the asbuilt using forscan 👍🏻

I wonder what on earth caused the Nav fault in the as built I copied then 🤔🤔🤔 I need to figure out what went wrong!  And yeah Focccus actually wiped my car's Trip data as soon as it connected and scanned my car so that was fun! 😱😱😱  I need to get my voice calling working!  Im wondering if I can just change the value in the bluetooth section (line 157 I think it was?) to whatever the as built says for the newer car.  

I'm scarily surprised by how my car was already half done for Sync 3, the whole car is pretty much set up for it minus one or two bits of programming!

You should be able to manually enter whatever value you like in focccus, that’s what I did 👍🏻 Change them and you’ll get your voice commands back 👍🏻👍🏻

When i was messing around in the as built for the APIM, I lost my voice controls. I'm pretty sure it was in the 7D0-01-02 line bit can't remember what byte.

Perhaps it's not a ccc issue after all?

Looking at those photos, you're a braver man than me!

Out of curiosity, if you're going to all the legwork of ripping it all apart, and by the looks of it, even removing the front two seats, then any particular reason you didn't opt for Sync 3?

I've seen both Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 and Sync 3 is miles better, was there a significant cost difference?

I know from having looked in the past getting the upgrade kit from MFT (Sync 2) to Sync 3 is between $1,500-$2,000 depending on what make and model you have.

Just seems odd you'd spend all that time upgrading it to a very outdated and fairly sluggish system.

Yes cost is the main issue. Over here the going rate for a sync 3 screen and APIM is around £600, where sync 2, which is still a vast improvement on sync 1, is only around £200.

Luke and I both got lucky with our Sync 3 systems, getting them for under £200, and can resell our Sync 2 systems to recoup.

There is a thread by @Bannko around for upgrading from factory fit sync 2 to sync 3 and I would imagine it would be a lot less than $2000...

Well they say pride goes before a fall.

My US fascia which I've been gloating about for 2 weeks arrived today. 

A bit disappointed really as some of the vent assemblies were missing and retaining clips are broken. That and the coloured bezels around the vents are a bronze rather than silver so don't match the rest of the dash.

It's basically not the one they pictured and have offered a partial refund.

Other than that it looks great. The central controls are a bit clicky and cheaper feeling than the current fascia, but I generally do everything with voice or steering controls anyway and I think the better look is worth it.

Now I have to decide whether a partial refund is worth it. I'm gonna need to rob parts from the original titanium sync 1 fascia (which annoyingly I've now sold...) to make this worthwhile.

Unless I can get the seller to pay return postage and I can reclaim the customs charges back, it won't be worth it to return.

@Luke_Anderson do you still have your Sync 1 fascia and is it up for sale?

On 6/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, thatfiestaguy said:

Looking at those photos, you're a braver man than me!

Out of curiosity, if you're going to all the legwork of ripping it all apart, and by the looks of it, even removing the front two seats, then any particular reason you didn't opt for Sync 3?

I've seen both Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 and Sync 3 is miles better, was there a significant cost difference?

I know from having looked in the past getting the upgrade kit from MFT (Sync 2) to Sync 3 is between $1,500-$2,000 depending on what make and model you have.

Just seems odd you'd spend all that time upgrading it to a very outdated and fairly sluggish system.

As Phil said really, average sync 3 cost is 3 times as much as sync 2, and although outdated sync 2 is a massive improvement over sync 1. I got lucky with sync 3 and bought from a breaker that had no idea what he was selling 👍🏻👍🏻

35 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Well they say pride goes before a fall.

My US fascia which I've been gloating about for 2 weeks arrived today. 

A bit disappointed really as some of the vent assemblies were missing and retaining clips are broken. That and the coloured bezels around the vents are a bronze rather than silver so don't match the rest of the dash.

It's basically not the one they pictured and have offered a partial refund.

Other than that it looks great. The central controls are a bit clicky and cheaper feeling than the current fascia, but I generally do everything with voice or steering controls anyway and I think the better look is worth it.

Now I have to decide whether a partial refund is worth it. I'm gonna need to rob parts from the original titanium sync 1 fascia (which annoyingly I've now sold...) to make this worthwhile.

Unless I can get the seller to pay return postage and I can reclaim the customs charges back, it won't be worth it to return.

@Luke_Anderson do you still have your Sync 1 fascia and is it up for sale?

I don’t I’m afraid I sold my complete sync 1 system for a healthy £250 👍🏻 

If I were you I’d kick up a right fuss, how much of a partial refund did they offer you? 

I would go on the angle that there refund needs to cover the cost of you putting it right I.e it’s need to cover the cost of buying a fascia for you to take bits off, if they won’t do that then say you will return the item at there expense including any cost occurred to yourself including customs charges. They will soon back down 

Not to worry. You did well with your sync 1! I put the bits up separately and didn't make as much. 

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It was always a toss up between getting a US one or trying to wrap the UK one in a way that makes it look better.

Cons for keeping the UK one are the looks and the fact that a bad wrap job can look worse than before. Also that there's no lock button.

Cons for keeping the US one is that the controls feel cheaper but I think look nicer, IF I can get the parts I need to swap over

We've not agreed a value but I made it clear that getting the right parts would be my intention. A scrapper might be a good shout. There are some fascias on eBay but they go up to about £75. If needs be I'll forward that to my seller and see what they say.

I would, it’s there ***** up and it shouldn’t be of any more expense to you, if they won’t cover costs that way then put in a claim with PayPal and claim for everything 

Does the parts list at the top only work for Sync 1 - Sync 2/3 conversion? Do I need much more to go from BT/VC to Sync 2/3?  I wasn't aware it was possible previously but I've not looked for a while.

Well as long as it's possible to upgrade from btvc to sync 1 then I don't see why not. You might just have to upgrade in stages...

I still have a sync 1 APIM for sale and a full sync 2 system (minus hub atm) if anyone is interested...

Difficult to know - I’ve upgraded to the nav screen about a year ago and I’m quite happy to faff with stuff (I have the Russian pcm hack chip to allow generic rear view cameras!), but I was told even BTVC to sync 1 was a massive job.

so it sounds like it’s a no for my vehicle still - but I have to say I’m massively impressed with your efforts. Looks awesome!

Hi guys,

I might missed the info in you posts but if I switch from Sync1.1 to Sync 3 do I have to replace also the radio unit? Or it should work but only use one plug (and of course eventual replace/add pins in the plug)?

Right now I have the Sony version with 9 Speakers. I would keep the radio as I understood is sounds much better than the standard one.

For head unit and wires, it does not matter if the car is for UK or not, right?

Thank you!

As far as I am aware, it is necessary to change the ACM (the radio/cd player) from Sync 1.1 to 2 (or 3), but not from 2 to 3.  I would wait for someone to confirm or contradict me before acting on it though!  

It shouldn't matter where the FCDIM (screen) and APIM (module, attached to back of screen for sync 2 and 3) comes from, can even be a different model of Ford, but you may have to change some of the configuration with Forscan if it is from a different region.  I am also not sure how having a different region unit would affect the stored maps for the sat nav...

EDIT (from the maps update site Luke linked to a few pages ago:  EU maps can only be installed on SYNC 3 modules that have sufficient storage space (64 GB). For example you will not be able to install EU maps on a North American SYNC 3 without hardware modification/swap.

• Thanks 1

You can use your existing acm unit if your not worried about traffic reports, I experimented when I installed mine and indeed the sound quality is better from the original unit but you cannot get the traffic reports to work for the Sat Nav. However a standard sync 3 acm has the same audio chip as the Sony unit so sound quality from a sync 3 acm is much better 👍🏻👍🏻

You can indeed use a sync 3 from any vehicle and any region of Europe but as Phil said the us units don’t have the storage for eu maps 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Thank you Phil and Luke for the answers.

You did a great work as this thread is pure gold!!! 👍

I'm gathering information, to know if I have to search for a complete system, or if I can search for individual parts.

Good to know that US FCDIM+APIM should be avoided.

Also if the standard ACM on SYNC 3 sounds as good as the SONY ACM for pre-facelift Focus, makes search a bit easier.

But with the current prices, is just a matter of getting informed 😂 . But who knows? Maybe I get as lucky as you guys were.

Thinking about it, I think I just kept my sync 2 Acm... Should I swap them over as I still have the sync 3 one...?

@Luke_Anderson, I'm trying to download the mahoosive map update files you linked to but keep getting a corrupted archive error for the two larger ones.  Is this a windows foible and did you have this issue?