Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

I think if your going from sync 1 your best bet would be to buy the system as a whole, just keep em peeled πŸ‘€

And defo make the swap Phil, the sound quality from the sync 3 unit is loads better πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» I had no issues downloading the files I’m afraid πŸ˜•

Thanks Luke, I'll go unbox it.... =]

EDIT:Β  I'm getting good at ***** around with my sound system!Β  Took me longer to dig the ACM out of the shed than it did to swap it over!

Β 

Hm, both the larger files cause corrupt archive errors when opened with winrar, but I understand they're not supposed to be opened so hoping that's ok.

The other thing is I've updated to the latest Sync software from an autotrader car's VIN, but it still only at 3.0...

It says that on the screen, mine still displays version 3 even though it’s at version 3.0.3. I think it’s like apple updates, the 0.3 at the end just denotes bug fixes etcΒ 

oh fine then!

By the way, I've started an APIM configs thread as some of the values in the F150 doc don't seem to match and there are still some bytes unaccounted for.Β  It'd be great to get some peoples configs there so they can be cross referenced to plumb out all the bit values...

Sounds good! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

By the way, I've had a chap enquire on eBay about the upgrade to Sync 2. I've pointed him in this direction and he says he's going to have a good read before deciding.

I said there's be plenty of support here if he joined. I obviously don't mind helping him out but is that ok with you guys?

Absolutely! I try and remember to pop on here but to be honest my life is now consumed with sorting out the camper ( quite a change going back to old school mechanics ) so I’m not getting on here as much as I should πŸ˜”

Well I have returned! Β Finally got my system to a good.... I dunno 90% working? I've still got some stuff to do to her before she's completely functional, doing the odd tinkering day here and there to adjust the final things.

Β 

Some things I wanted to ask/mention:

What aftermarket GPS antenna did you guys use and where did you put yours???Β Β I'm having all sorts of Nav issues with mine right now and I'm starting to think its an issue with the antenna itself! Β But the compass in the car is pretty screwy at the moment also. Β So I'm blaming the antenna and asking what ones you guys have since yours is working fine (I hope)

I noticed that my mothers ST3 (Jealous of her! she always beats me off the lights!)Β has turn by turn nav on the dash (it replaces the car display image on the right hand side of the screen) and I have no idea how to enable that on mine! any of you guys managed to enable it?

I reflashed my Cars as builtΒ a while back using the as built data from ford (during my initial attempts of programming the beaut)Β and all of a sudden.... I have the ability to turn my traction control on and off! this wasn't on the car to begin with (trust me I looked for it when I first got her to see if there was anything remotely like sport mode) and honestly I have no idea how I've brought this back to my car! Β I knew she was supposed to have it because a friend of mine has a similar focus to mine (he's got the Titanium X jammy bugger) Β so.... happy days? turbo lag has gone (brilliant for launching her off the lights! bye bye tread haha!)Β and I'm getting more MPG out of her than I ever have! (currently running at 51.7mpg on the ecoscout thing) I feel like maybe the people who owned her first (Enterprise carΒ rentals) had her programming altered in some way to disable features. Β I wonder what else is hidden inside her that should be working but isn't?

Β 

Other than that she's working fine! I got her voice controls working properlyΒ which was in fact down to focccus not programming the BCM correctly! (Found this out by using Forscan and opening up the Central Config on there) Β software is temperamental at best! Β You guys have been invaluable to assisting with the instal! Β aside from the remaining hiccups she's a beaut! Β anything you can answer from my questions will be much appreciated!Β 

As mine originally had nav I had the antenna already there, goes to the roof aerial on mine. If your fitting aftermarket make sure it’s got no metal above it andΒ is facing upright. Under the plastic on the dash is fine as long as it’s high up. ( under the center speaker grill is ideal if you don’t have one ) there is also a setting in the asbuilt to identify what kind of antenna you have.Β 

Turn by turn should be available if the bcm and ipc are configured correctly. TheyΒ must match and be programmed separately. Make sure the bcm and ipc changes are as in the beginning of the guide. Studying the changes in the f150 google doc can really help you Taylor the system as you want it πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Yeah I still need to do some work with mine actually. The only things now not quite right are the turn by turn, which multiplies the distance by 256, so there is a transposed byte between the bcm and IPC somewhere I think. Dunno how I'm going to sort that one out! But I was as Luke, where I already had the antenna in so can't say about aftermarket ones I'm afraid.

The other thing is the climate repeater on the screen has the controls reversed, as others have experienced, so altering the drivers temp actually changes the passenger temp and vice versa. If i can find a fix, great, if not I'll prob disable it as it's not really necessary. I just like to have all the options available!

I'm still slowly mapping the APIM as built data - there's a link to a Google sheet in the thread called APIM configurations. It's pretty similar to what the f150 guys did except I intend to map all values 0-F for each bit, which they didnt, and a lot of the settings they don't mention as each bit controls more than one setting generally.

Β 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 1:26 PM, Luke_Anderson said:

As mine originally had nav I had the antenna already there, goes to the roof aerial on mine. If your fitting aftermarket make sure it’s got no metal above it andΒ is facing upright. Under the plastic on the dash is fine as long as it’s high up. ( under the center speaker grill is ideal if you don’t have one ) there is also a setting in the asbuilt to identify what kind of antenna you have.Β 

Turn by turn should be available if the bcm and ipc are configured correctly. TheyΒ must match and be programmed separately. Make sure the bcm and ipc changes are as in the beginning of the guide. Studying the changes in the f150 google doc can really help you Taylor the system as you want it πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

You know.... I swear my car hates me or something. Β I tried the Nav again today and guess what worked... the ***** turn by turn (I haven't actually changed my as built for the IPC its still set to extended, I was going to do it today but since it worked I left it be) Β Theres a way to program what type of antenna?! I didn't see this O.O

I'm noticing that a few things are changing as I'm using the car actually, I cant imagine the car programming itself but I'm wondering if its pushing changes through the system (I.E. the APIM says turn by turn should work so it forces the data through regardless of settings) Β I know this happens with some thing I work on with CyberSec that even regardless of the settings on the other side the features sometimes still push through if one has a higher privilege setting than the other. Β I'm going to investigate more and shall report back!

Β 

As for nav antenna position.... I don't have a centre speaker as far as I'm aware (The walk around speaker test doesn't play sound when centre and sub come up)Β so I'm gonna have to think of something else.... Especially since its gotta be upright, I may go down the OEM route, replace my radio antenna base with the nav one and route Fakra cable through my car (Long job but if it works I won't complain). Β But some days its fine, other days its not so I'm trying to work out what exactly is causing the issue, especially with the nav faults coming up every so often.

Β 

On 6/30/2018 at 10:31 PM, Phil21185 said:

Yeah I still need to do some work with mine actually. The only things now not quite right are the turn by turn, which multiplies the distance by 256, so there is a transposed byte between the bcm and IPC somewhere I think. Dunno how I'm going to sort that one out! But I was as Luke, where I already had the antenna in so can't say about aftermarket ones I'm afraid.

The other thing is the climate repeater on the screen has the controls reversed, as others have experienced, so altering the drivers temp actually changes the passenger temp and vice versa. If i can find a fix, great, if not I'll prob disable it as it's not really necessary. I just like to have all the options available!

I'm still slowly mapping the APIM as built data - there's a link to a Google sheet in the thread called APIM configurations. It's pretty similar to what the f150 guys did except I intend to map all values 0-F for each bit, which they didnt, and a lot of the settings they don't mention as each bit controls more than one setting generally.

Β 

I'm in the process of doing the same thing actually, might be worth me checking out the google sheet actually to see if I can find it anywhere. Β But since investigating my car I have confirmed my car is exactly half and half, she's got half the correct wiring, half the correct programming, half the correct features etc etc compared to models sporting the 14 plates!! Ford (or maybe enterprise)Β what did you do to my car πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I've spent the last few weeks correcting her with the assistance of some diagnostics people and my own research, I even got a family member who works for a Ford garage to investigate with me and even he's not seen anything like my car! Β I swear Ford should give me a job after this πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

*Sigh* aren't car's fun?Β πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

• Like 1

New here however active on other Ford Focus forums in the United States. IMO, you have done more for the Focus community than many have done in a long time.

I'm glad to see you were able to get the MK3.5 Facia working with the MK3. I was at my wits end trying to find MK3.5 Wiring Schematics to figure out why I couldn't use the MK3.5Β SYNC 1 FCDIM/ACM with the MK3 Facia (to add Rear View Camera to SYNC 1). Your little comment regarding the change from LIN to CAN explains why perfectly.

Now that you confirmed that you can use MK3.5 FCDIM etc. on an MK3... This opens a door of possibilities. Cheers!Β 

Thanks πŸ‘πŸ» In my opinion it’s one of the best mods you can do to a pre facelift. Why no one had really done it before I don’t know πŸ˜‚

I have been keeping a look out for a reasonably priced sync 3 unit and found this one this morning

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-HEAD-UNIT-DISPLAY-SCREEN-SURROUND-12245/263769494600?hash=item3d69e31448:g:K9EAAOSwc~xbKnVs

Is there any way to tell if it has sat nav?

Not really, part numbers can help. the vin of the car would clear it up πŸ‘πŸ»

Question Time any help would be helpful πŸ™‚

Β 

I started to do this on a 2013 plate ST

Made up the hub loon with 7 wires and add six with pins and added themΒ from hub to sync plug as follows

1 to 8

3 to 10

4 to 11

5 to 28

6 to 29

7 to 9Β 

8 spliced in to pin 38

Β 

Then i moved pins around in the plug moving...

5 to 12

6 to 13

16 to 19

17 to 20

23 to 25

24 to 26

25 to 23

26 to 24

Β 

Then from the original screen plug i removed 2 pinsΒ 

pin 4 white/purpleΒ  which goes to the front panel pin 7 but with it having a wire in place do i have to splice or remove the existing wire ??

Pin 5 purple/white to front panel pin 4 which was a empty slot

Β 

Then the ACMΒ i removed pinsΒ  2 pinsΒ  fromΒ (large plug)

pin 4Β  moved toΒ the small connectorΒ  pin 6

Pin 5 moved to the small connector pin 19

Β 

The car already had the GPSM module installedΒ  so i gather i do not need to do anything with the wiring is this correct ??

Β 

I have not done the programming yet but on testingΒ  i have the following

Screen turn's on touch screen works

Say's insert SD card even tho its in the hub

has no climate on the screen (but that could be the car the unit came from had manual controls)

All front panel buttons do not work ( possibly the pin 7 i have not connected)

Β 

So guys have a missed anything out ?Β  (apart from the programming)Β 

Β 

Thanks in advance

Β 

TezzaΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

There's some wires to splice into the HVAC controls. Can't remember what for, but I think it's canbus tap for fcim so could be why buttons don't work.

Edit: Wrong, its canbus tap for the APIM. Without, the APIM isn't connected to canbus (which the buttons work through) so won't respond.

You need to splice into the correct HVAC wires and plug into 15 and 16 in the sync plug. Details in Luke's spreadsheet!

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

There's some wires to splice into the HVAC controls. Can't remember what for, but I think it's canbus tap for fcim so could be why buttons don't work.

Edit: Wrong, its canbus tap for the APIM. Without, the APIM isn't connected to canbus (which the buttons work through) so won't respond.

You need to splice into the correct HVAC wires and plug into 15 and 16 in the sync plug. Details in Luke's spreadsheet!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Cheers Phil what colour plug on the HVAC do I use the black or blue one πŸ‘

I seem to remember blue but I think the wire colour combinations only appear in the one plug?

I also seem to remember it was the passenger side one, might be wrong there.

What version maps card are you using?

On screen climate can be configured with forscan and an as built dataset.

The splicing into the hvac is for ms can so the pain can see the gpsm module.Β 

If you cut the wire that’s already populated on the facia plug and then connect the tail to the other one from the little screen then your buttons will work.Β 

Should all be in the data sheet πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 

Are you fitting sync 2 or 3?Β 

18 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

The splicing into the hvac is for ms can so the pain can see the gpsm module.Β 

If you cut the wire that’s already populated on the facia plug and then connect the tail to the other one from the little screen then your buttons will work.Β 

Should all be in the data sheet πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 

Are you fitting sync 2 or 3?Β 

Luke doing sync 2

Got all the facia buttons working πŸ‘

Notο»Ώο»Ώο»ΏΒ connected the 2 wires to the blue plugs on HVAC yet asο»ΏΒ thο»Ώeο»ΏΒ wiresΒ  Grey/OrangeΒ and Purple and orange as they arο»Ώe inΒ ο»Ώο»Ώslots 5 & 6 and not in pins 2 & 3 like in yourΒ Β chartΒ  (confused.com loο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώlο»Ώο»Ώ)

Β 

Terry

That’s if your connecting directly to the gpsm. If you connect to the corresponding colours in the blue plug on the hvac then you’ll be fine. The display for the climate will come with as built data, I’d advise doing the programming sooner rather than later as it does resolve a few issues πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 

Just now, Luke_Anderson said:

That’s if your connecting directly to the gpsm. If you connect to the corresponding colours in the blue plug on the hvac then you’ll be fine. The display for the climate will come with as built data, I’d advise doing the programming sooner rather than later as it does resolve a few issues πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 

Luke

Thanks for clearing that up as it makes sense now lol

I have done all the programming all works apart from the satnav as it says insert sd card but its already in plus the USB port does not work so i need to check the 7 wires that i put into the main plug.

i also need change inΒ forscan Β 7D0-02-ο»Ώ02ο»Ώο»Ώ changeΒ fiftο»ΏhΒ hex toΒ a 2 for the park pilot and work out how to enable climate i have USDC and enabled it on my sync 3 so cant see sync 2 being any different plus i have another sync2 that has got climate so i can read the module and save it and then transferΒ it to one without climate if i get stuckΒ 

Thanks for your's and Phil's help on this much appreciated

TerryΒ 

Yeah I’d check the wiring, you defo have the usb connected as well yeah?Β 

The climate is easy, details should be in that f150 page πŸ‘πŸ»

Just now, Luke_Anderson said:

Yeah I’d check the wiring, you defo have the usb connected as well yeah?Β 

The climate is easy, details should be in that f150 page πŸ‘πŸ»

Yes I have connected the USB lead i did cheat abit as i use the original one by cutting a small grove on each side to correspond to the tabsΒ inside the female plug on the back of the APIMΒ 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club