Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

nothing at all. i'm calling in at my dads on the way home he has a focus with nav i'm going to try his card and see what happens.

1 hour ago, nigel brown said:

nothing at all. i'm calling in at my dads on the way home he has a focus with nav i'm going to try his card and see what happens.

Let us know how you get on 

Hi Luke,

just to let you know got everything working, the SD reader is broke so I’ve ordered another.

thanks for your help

Did you try the one out of your dads? 

Morning Luke,

got everything working, the SD reader was duff. The only think I’ve found not working only by chance someone ringing me is the phone, it’s paired ok I can play my music through I can dial with hands free but when it dials there’s no sound and you can’t speak or hear the other person. Not a massive problem don’t really use the phone in the car but I will bug me. Any ideas

Yeah that’ll be down to the programming, make sure you set the values in forscan to both the bcm and ipc 

Ok I’ll have a check at the weekend when the lights a bit better.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive this, but just wondering... Can you go from a non sync non nav system to a sync 2? 

My 2012 titanium does not have Sync or maps, but looking to upgrade.

You can indeed, might take a little extra work but everything is possible 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

You can indeed, might take a little extra work but everything is possible 👍🏻

Any idea on costs? Seen loads of sync 2 systems on eBay but not sure I need extra as it's a non sync car? 

Or is it better to just go for the tesla screen 🙂

I couldn’t really tell you what else you will need I’m afraid, do you currently have bluetooth

I couldn’t really tell you what else you will need I’m afraid, do you currently have Bluetooth? 
Yeah currently the voice and bluetooth setup

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Maybe not much then, I did a non sync facelift to sync 3 for a mate and that went pretty much the same as mine 

Maybe not much then, I did a non sync facelift to sync 3 for a mate and that went pretty much the same as mine 
That's interesting! Where abouts are you based? If I can source a sync 2 system with nav I may jump on it!

Although saying all this, I'm running round on a 1.0 ecoboost pre facelift ticking time bomb... or at least that's all I've been thinking the last 2 days.

I’m near Norwich mate 👍🏻 If you can go for sync 3 as it’s so much better, that said sync 2 is also a good upgrade over stock 

I’m near Norwich mate [emoji1303] If you can go for sync 3 as it’s so much better, that said sync 2 is also a good upgrade over stock 
Aren't sync 3 systems like 800 odd?

Was thinking about the Tesla style screen also, but then I would lose some functionality I guess?

Think I would lose:
- Active park assist
- Park assist
Not sure what else?

The other problem other than loss of function with the Tesla style is that they are android based which makes them a little unreliable, also they are often low quality made units so overall quality suffers. Sync 3 can be expensive unless you are good at eBay, for example I got my setup with USB port and cabling for just over £150, same with the one I found for my friend, just over £160 for his full setup. Just gotta know where to look for them 👍🏻

The other problem other than loss of function with the Tesla style is that they are android based which makes them a little unreliable, also they are often low quality made units so overall quality suffers. Sync 3 can be expensive unless you are good at eBay, for example I got my setup with USB port and cabling for just over £150, same with the one I found for my friend, just over £160 for his full setup. Just gotta know where to look for them [emoji1303]
You're hired ;-)

If you are browsing, and spot something for sub £200 Let me know!

I'm down in Essex so a trip to Norwich wouldn't be much of a problem.

I’ll keep an eye out, sometimes you’ve got to be prepared to spend out a bit more and make it back, for example buying a sync 3 system from a c-max and buying a sync 2 system from a focus and putting them together to make a system for the focus and then selling what’s left 

If anyone is interested... figured out how to downgrade and upgrade to different software versions in on the Sync 2 head unit.

It's honestly, stupidly simple. 

For example, I needed to go from 3.10 to 3.8 and then back to 3.10 because I installed the US version by accident. 

Download the 3.8 UK update and extract the contents. You then need to open up 'autoinstall.lst' file in a text editor and look for the below (It's near the bottom):

;;; This tag runs only on Zodiac pre-release tags
;;; 
[SYNCGen2_4.30.13171]
[SYNCGen2_4.32.14073]
[SYNCGen2_4.32.14122]
[SYNCGen2_3.08.15042]
[SYNCGen2_3.08.15050]
[SYNCGen2_3.08.15085]
[SYNCGen2_3.08.15091]
[SYNCGen2_3.08.15109]
[SYNCGen2_3.10.16180]
Item1 = BT4T-14D546-EE
Open1 = SyncMyRide\BT4T-14D546-EE.cab
Item2 = EA5T-14D546-AKB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\EA5T-14D546-AKB.cab

Simply add the exact line in bold to the same place where I have done and you can downgrade from 3.10 to 3.8 without any issues. Once added, save the file and then copy the contents of the .zip file you extracted before, including the new file, to a FAT32 formatted memory stick and off you go, watch the magic happen! 🙂 

• Like 1

Sorry to keep going on but bit off a strange one...
Reset the GPS module and APIM in FORscan and the compass and all that jazz seems to work. But, in the diagnostics screen I’m only getting the below: 54116c35b96e5ae341ce9034a770344a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all. Sorry to jump in but couldn't see better place to ask. I have a 2012 titanium x also with the non sync sony stereo. Also without the gpsm plug behind rear view mirror cover. So I know that could rule out sat nav with sync 2.

Luke Anderson mentions he upgraded a friend's non sync to sync 3. So would you or anyone know if it's even possible to upgrade mine to sync 2 with nav or even sync 3. Any help at all I would be grateful or links to resources or guides.

Thank you in advance125210_16_big.thumb.jpg.3e75a81bf6cbfbb74603468ca750b232.jpg

Its annoying really. I had so many plans for my car. Only got it 2 and a bit weeks ago, but I did the wrong thing and read the Ecoboost nightmare page on Facebook. Now I'm very reluctant to spend any money upgrading my car due to the engine problems it faces. I just can't trust it.

It's put such a downer on the whole thing I'm gutted :(

2.5 weeks in and I've checked the park exchange value of it which is 2k less than what I paid, but am seeing what I can get for that money. Blew everything buying the car so am only out to lose money now.

There's some great information on this thread, I am about to undertake the same project but in a Kuga. I have searched through the Kuga part of the forum but there doesn't seem to be any threads like this one in that section. Does anyone know if the wiring and connections are the same in the Kuga as they are in the Focus?

I have purchased a Sync 2 unit which came with the dash surround ect., I just need to figure out the wiring. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

On 2/11/2019 at 11:03 PM, Rob20236 said:

Hi all. Sorry to jump in but couldn't see better place to ask. I have a 2012 titanium x also with the non sync sony stereo. Also without the gpsm plug behind rear view mirror cover. So I know that could rule out sat nav with sync 2.

Luke Anderson mentions he upgraded a friend's non sync to sync 3. So would you or anyone know if it's even possible to upgrade mine to sync 2 with nav or even sync 3. Any help at all I would be grateful or links to resources or guides.

Thank you in advance125210_16_big.thumb.jpg.3e75a81bf6cbfbb74603468ca750b232.jpg

As far is I’m aware, the earlier mk3 focus still had the bt/vc system in it. This is upgradable to sync therefore it should be possible to upgrade to sync 2 or 3. As for the gpsm module it’s 4 wires power, ground, ms can + and ms can - so adding this module in shouldn’t be too much of a bother. If you can go sync 3 then do it’s a far superior system over sync 2, hard drive sat nav,  capacitive touchscreen and CarPlay or android auto to name but a few. It also uses a standard fakra plug for the gps so no need to mess around with module wiring. That said sync 2 is a massive leap over sync 1. 

20 hours ago, andspenka said:

There's some great information on this thread, I am about to undertake the same project but in a Kuga. I have searched through the Kuga part of the forum but there doesn't seem to be any threads like this one in that section. Does anyone know if the wiring and connections are the same in the Kuga as they are in the Focus?

I have purchased a Sync 2 unit which came with the dash surround ect., I just need to figure out the wiring. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

My sync 3 unit came from a kuga and plugged in just fine, a lot of my resource material was also based on a kuga so I would safely say the guide will work just fine for you. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, Deano12 said:

Its annoying really. I had so many plans for my car. Only got it 2 and a bit weeks ago, but I did the wrong thing and read the Ecoboost nightmare page on Facebook. Now I'm very reluctant to spend any money upgrading my car due to the engine problems it faces. I just can't trust it.

It's put such a downer on the whole thing I'm gutted 😞

2.5 weeks in and I've checked the park exchange value of it which is 2k less than what I paid, but am seeing what I can get for that money. Blew everything buying the car so am only out to lose money now.

I’m not familiar with the ecoboost issue however preventative maintenance is key!