Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

At the light or at the other end? 

Good Afternoon All.

After updating from Sync 1 to Sync 3 a few weeks back I have noticed that when I’m in the car with the ignition off and I knock the indicator arm up or down the car gives a small beep! I have not thought much about this as it didn’t seem to do anything else other than beep, today while in the garage in the dark I noticed that if I pushed the indicator arm down the LED lights on the left hand side front and back came on and if I pushed it up the LED’s on the right side came on.

I presume that this is some form of parking light! Has anybody else come across this as the only place it can have come from is the As Built Data I got from 2018 car when setting up Sync 3.      

Hi guys, great job with this guide, I was looking for this a long time. Just one quick clarification about the last connection to ACM. Are we talking about adding wires between main connector pin 4 and accessory connector pin 6 and after that 5 to 19? Thank you very much 🙂

17 hours ago, Štěpán said:

Hi guys, great job with this guide, I was looking for this a long time. Just one quick clarification about the last connection to ACM. Are we talking about adding wires between main connector pin 4 and accessory connector pin 6 and after that 5 to 19? Thank you very much 🙂

No not between them. You need to remove them from one then insert them to the other 👍🏻

Great, thank you. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you have the TMC working on SYNC 3? 

Is yours TMC with voice warnings? Like “Caution traffic disruption ahead” 

i have enabled TMC and have the menu but no voice on mine. I heard that sync 3 doesn’t have voice in TMC is that true? 

Just read through this and im so confused so thought id join and ask for some advice. Ive got a 62plate ST3 with the phone controls on the paddle type buttons opposite cruise control so unsure if this is Sync1 or what? The car doesnt have satnav or reverse camera either. I will be going to the scrappers at the weekend on the look for a sync2 or 3 system. I know i will need the fascia, bracket, screen, buttons and the cd unit and the wiring harness adapter off amazon but is there anything else? But if i dont plan on adding sat nav or reverse camera will i still need to edit the build data through forscan or focccus? Or is it going to be a straight plug n play. Been looking for a thread like this for about 6months dont know why its took me so long to find this

Oh man. What are u guys doing to me I was happy with adding nav to my car. Now I’m going to have to look for sync 3

Brilliant  guides no doubt I’ll be popping up with my own questions if I and when I get my hands on one. 

11 hours ago, Dmilne said:

Just read through this and im so confused so thought id join and ask for some advice. Ive got a 62plate ST3 with the phone controls on the paddle type buttons opposite cruise control so unsure if this is Sync1 or what? The car doesnt have satnav or reverse camera either. I will be going to the scrappers at the weekend on the look for a sync2 or 3 system. I know i will need the fascia, bracket, screen, buttons and the cd unit and the wiring harness adapter off amazon but is there anything else? But if i dont plan on adding sat nav or reverse camera will i still need to edit the build data through forscan or focccus? Or is it going to be a straight plug n play. Been looking for a thread like this for about 6months dont know why its took me so long to find this

By the sounds of it you have the bt/vc system instead of sync 1, this makes it a little more difficult but not impossible. I’d also be looking at getting the steering wheel with controls, the clock spring assembly and as much of the dash wiring loom as possible. As for programming you will still need to do the As build data and the changes to the bcm and ipc in focccus. 

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

By the sounds of it you have the bt/vc system instead of sync 1, this makes it a little more difficult but not impossible. I’d also be looking at getting the steering wheel with controls, the clock spring assembly and as much of the dash wiring loom as possible. As for programming you will still need to do the As build data and the changes to the bcm and ipc in focccus. 

Thanks @Luke_Anderson ill be taking a trip to the scrappers at the weekend to see what i can salvage, this might be a while away before i attempt it then. Ive also been looking at flat bottom steering wheels and ive heard they fit as long as i get the clock spring to make the cruise control work then i can reprogram the button layout on focccus or forscan, would this cause other issues when going to upgrade to sync2 in the future?

ive added a picture from my setting and it gives sync settings ans sync applications so does that mean its got sync1 or what?

20190614_071429.jpg

Edited by Dmilne

Shouldn’t do, it’ll aid the install if anything 

Ive just added a picture im my comment above mate the radio setting gives me sync setting and applications

Right guys. Anyone point me in the direction for the wiring harness tracked down a sync 2 complete unit without the usb and loom. 

Will get the sync 3 when available. 

Them camera extensions on amazon people have linked to. Is it a case of buying one and using the pins out the plug that’s it ? 22 pages and my heads battered lol. 

This is interesting but mine doesnt have the same aircon unit as the one in the pic mine are manual dials. Plus does the motorcraft service work for uk vehicles?

Brilliant guide Luke. I wonder if this would be possible on my focus. It's a 2013 but is very basic. I doesn't even have bluetooth.  I have already posted on here asking if I could upgrade my stereo to Bluetooth and JW1982 said I'd be better to upgrade to a sync 1.1. If I'm going to go down that road then I may as well go the whole hog if I can and jump to sync 2 or 3 if it's possible. However, I'm not sure what extra kit I need to do this. Microphone, sync module etc. Also, without wanting to sound thick, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to in the list of items - Apim, FCdim etc. I am pretty competent with a soldering iron and a multi meter and not afraid to jump in with both feet!!

12 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Brilliant guide Luke. I wonder if this would be possible on my focus. It's a 2013 but is very basic. I doesn't even have Bluetooth.  I have already posted on here asking if I could upgrade my stereo to Bluetooth and JW1982 said I'd be better to upgrade to a sync 1.1. If I'm going to go down that road then I may as well go the whole hog if I can and jump to sync 2 or 3 if it's possible. However, I'm not sure what extra kit I need to do this. Microphone, sync module etc. Also, without wanting to sound thick, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to in the list of items - Apim, FCdim etc. I am pretty competent with a soldering iron and a multi meter and not afraid to jump in with both feet!!

Something does not quite add up here, No you will not have bluetooth as that was phased out in 2012 you should have sync 1 fitted do you have a picture of the screen as I work at fords and never heard of a none Bluetooth/Sync ever fitted to the focus  

Or drop me a PM with your reg 

Them camera extensions on Amazon people have linked to. Is it a case of buying one and using the pins out the plug that’s it ? 22 pages and my heads battered lol. 

I’ve got and used one of them harnesses. Instead of doing the pin swaps on your main loom, do everything on the harness before you plug it in and it’s literally plug and play. Well worth the money and not knackering your original harness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

you can also get a complete plug and play harness now on eBay.

you can also get a complete harness now depending on which model car you have.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153480024102

That’s pretty cool! The price is ridiculous though! Good find :)

44 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

I’ve got and used one of them harnesses. Instead of doing the pin swaps on your main loom, do everything on the harness before you plug it in and it’s literally plug and play. Well worth the money and not knackering your original harness!

Well I have everything ordered apart from the usb loom

got one of them harnesses off amazon coming tomorrow. I take it with a bit off work you can pop the pins out and re place them in the desired number. It’s the wiring I’m not comfortable with. So any more guides on that bit I’m all ears.

( bitter pill to swallow that considering I’m a sparky ) lol 

on the look out for sync 3 now.  Had most of my panels off in the car today just to get to grips with it and help speed up the install. 

I got mine from amazon too.
And instead of popping the pins out I cut the wires and swapped them round and soldered them back together... the easier option would have been popping the pins out [emoji23] lmao. I was thinking straight haha.

Should be fairly easy, from what I remember you just pull and they pop out?

• Thanks 1

Well I have everything ordered apart from the usb loom
got one of them harnesses off amazon coming tomorrow. I take it with a bit off work you can pop the pins out and re place them in the desired number. It’s the wiring I’m not comfortable with. So any more guides on that bit I’m all ears.
( bitter pill to swallow that considering I’m a sparky ) lol 
on the look out for sync 3 now.  Had most of my panels off in the car today just to get to grips with it and help speed up the install. 

Oh and as for the usb loom, honestly, make your own. You only need two wires from the media hub unless you want to keep the line in... the two wires I’m referring too provide the hub with power and the usb cable is used for both the sd card slot and the usb slot. literally positive and negative from the media hub attached to the corresponding pins on the harness and then a long micro usb cable! Made my life so much easier and less faffing around with multiple wires and pins. Up to you!

Pins 1 and 8 I’m referring too. If you take a look at the back of your media hub you will see what u mean. I just tacked the wires with a bit of solder on to the pins with heat shrink tube over them so they don’t touch the other ‘spare’ pins.

Also, instead of running them two wires all the way back up to the harness you can get away with splicing them on to the 12v socket in the rear. Just double check the voltages on the harness compared to the 12v socket. Again, if you don’t want line in I’d do the above.

Sorry for the multiple posts, slowly remembering what I did :)

45e579a4bd7dd6be8d063a5a140022b9.jpg

35 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Pins 1 and 8 I’m referring too. If you take a look at the back of your media hub you will see what u mean. I just tacked the wires with a bit of solder on to the pins with heat shrink tube over them so they don’t touch the other ‘spare’ pins.

Also, instead of running them two wires all the way back up to the harness you can get away with splicing them on to the 12v socket in the rear. Just double check the voltages on the harness compared to the 12v socket. Again, if you don’t want line in I’d do the above.

Sorry for the multiple posts, slowly remembering what I did 🙂

45e579a4bd7dd6be8d063a5a140022b9.jpg

Thanks. I’ll just put the loom in as I’ll need it for sync 3 when I can track down a screen won’t I. So just to clarify the 54 pin plug that gets the wires changed in is the one connected behind the AC controls that then gets fed upto the screen area ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club