Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Good Afternoon All.
After updating from Sync 1 to Sync 3 a few weeks back I have noticed that when I’m in the car with the ignition off and I knock the indicator arm up or down the car gives a small beep! I have not thought much about this as it didn’t seem to do anything else other than beep, today while in the garage in the dark I noticed that if I pushed the indicator arm down the LED lights on the left hand side front and back came on and if I pushed it up the LED’s on the right side came on.
I presume that this is some form of parking light! Has anybody else come across this as the only place it can have come from is the As Built Data I got from 2018 car when setting up Sync 3.      
I think this is in all of them my 2012 zs does it parking light.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Luke, do you know where the connection is for the mk3 footwell lights (apologies if i missed it in this thread)?
They are normally not far from the holes for the lights wrapped up in tape

Ive got alot of reading to get through lol.
I believe mine isnt sync it says nothing about it on the display. I have bluetooth and VC. I have fitted a headliner from a 15 plate ST and found the microphone wires travelled down the left hand A pillar instead of the right hand A pillar like mine did so had to unpick the loom and move it over pain in the rear that was. The motorcraft site does not have an option for the uk
Does this mean i have to hook my laptop upto to a working vehicle with let say sync3 in it use foccus to save the config ?

On 6/14/2019 at 7:31 AM, Dmilne said:

Ive just added a picture im my comment above mate the radio setting gives me sync setting and applications

Then your life just got easier! You have sync 1 👍🏻

On 6/15/2019 at 3:53 PM, vindi93 said:

This is interesting but mine doesnt have the same aircon unit as the one in the pic mine are manual dials. Plus does the motorcraft service work for uk vehicles?

It will work fine with manual a/c. And yes it does.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:46 AM, Nathan Buffery said:

Brilliant guide Luke. I wonder if this would be possible on my focus. It's a 2013 but is very basic. I doesn't even have Bluetooth.  I have already posted on here asking if I could upgrade my stereo to Bluetooth and JW1982 said I'd be better to upgrade to a sync 1.1. If I'm going to go down that road then I may as well go the whole hog if I can and jump to sync 2 or 3 if it's possible. However, I'm not sure what extra kit I need to do this. Microphone, sync module etc. Also, without wanting to sound thick, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to in the list of items - Apim, FCdim etc. I am pretty competent with a soldering iron and a multi meter and not afraid to jump in with both feet!!

Definitely go to sync 2 or 3, it would be pointless going to sync 1 first. You would need a mic on top of the list already and it would be worth looking at what wires you have going into the apim and acm currently to see what else might be missing. However as Tezza has pointed out, it would be very unusual to have a 2013 without any form of bluetooth.

9 hours ago, Typhoonf2 said:

you can also get a complete plug and play harness now on ebay.

Sort of, it’s a much better solution that my original method, however the loom does still need repinning and wires brought in from other parts of the car. 

8 hours ago, Monks600 said:

I got mine from amazon too.
And instead of popping the pins out I cut the wires and swapped them round and soldered them back together... the easier option would have been popping the pins out emoji23.png lmao. I was thinking straight haha.

Should be fairly easy, from what I remember you just pull and they pop out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They should have little tabs on them, gentle lift them up and the pins slight right out 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Thanks. I’ll just put the loom in as I’ll need it for sync 3 when I can track down a screen won’t I. So just to clarify the 54 pin plug that gets the wires changed in is the one connected behind the AC controls that then gets fed upto the screen area ? 

To be fair in sync 3 you only need power as well, just a different plug shape. And yes that is the one! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

You would need a mic on top of the list already and it would be worth looking at what wires you have going into the apim and acm currently to see what else might be missing.

I'm sorry to ask an obvious question, but I have no clue which bit is the APIM or the ACM. 

Apim is the module attached to the rear of the screen ( accessory protocol interface module ) and the acm is the bit the cd goes into ( audio control module ) 

Ahh now I get it. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I'm sorry to ask an obvious question, but I have no clue which bit is the APIM or the ACM. 

I’ve went through all 20 odd pages of this 4 times now. I made a little note on my phone with the the names because I kept forgetting

* ACM = radio so on and so on

Sync plug to re route from back of Ac to   screen 

then little notes on the tapping into the blue plug behind Heater controls 

I will be doing mine this weekend so if you want any clear photos of the steps your unsure of and I’ll do my best. Go over this guide and phils I can’t link another photo with a conversion chart I found on here but it helped as it has pictures of the plugs on. Buy a harness off amazon 

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness 14 Inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Yi.bDbBJ570GW

do most of your connections in that first 

D9617B6D-829E-46D4-AEA7-CA7D6D740CFC.png

• Like 1

Ok so I bought a sync 2 unit from Fleabay which came complete with the USB module and loom. My 2013 focus did not come with sync or bluetooth. I've stripped it out today to take a look and the good news is that most of the connections and cables are in place. However, I cannot find any connection for the gps module. I'm looking behind the sensor/ microphone bit in the headlining as I do not have the bit attached to the windscreen (see pictures). I have ordered the gps antenna that Luke recommended, which should arrive today, but I'm now thinking will it work through the metal car roof. Maybe I could get away with it under the dash behind the display unit. This would also save me running the cables up to the roof.

I have a couple of questions......

The bit I took down in the roof lining has no microphone but it has two spare connections (again see photo) which one is for the mic?

The usb module and loom has a great big female connection (see photo). What plugs into this connection? 

The antenna that is plugged into my basic radio is black. On the new unit there is a black and a white. I have found the white connector in the loom, but will I have to change the car aerial at the other end.

Is it an easy job to swap the heater control panel? I have the basic knobs you turn but I quite like the look of the one in Luke's picture. I'm just wondering as I'm ripping the dash apart anyway.

20190621_131211.jpg

20190621_121119.jpg

Ah........ just re-read the whole 20 pages again and I think I'm clearer on the USB hub wiring. 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, Monks600 said:

I got mine from amazon too.
And instead of popping the pins out I cut the wires and swapped them round and soldered them back together... the easier option would have been popping the pins out emoji23.png lmao. I was thinking straight haha.

Should be fairly easy, from what I remember you just pull and they pop out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hi sorry to bother you ive got one of those wiring harness off amazon too just not clear on what wires go where and do i remove the remaining wires are they not needed ?.

don't know if it matters im going from sync 1.1 to sync 2 your help would be much appreciated.  

Has anyone managed to do the map update successfully on the retrofit unit, can do the software update via the ford website but that’s it, keep going back but keeps coming up the same software update I’ve already installed and won’t do maps unless it’s done, any help would be great 

You need to upload the file that tells ford it’s been updated I think 

7 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

You need to upload the file that tells ford it’s been updated I think 

Yep done that several times and no joy, the vin number on the upload file is my car original, even tried changing that to the donor car vin and still no joy 

3 hours ago, David1981 said:

Yep done that several times and no joy, the vin number on the upload file is my car original, even tried changing that to the donor car vin and still no joy 

I did exactly what you said at the end of April with no probs since, change the Vin# in the file to the donor cars Vin# and it works a treat now running Sync Software V3 and maps F8. The only thing I will say is that after updating to Maps F8 it took the Ford site 2 or 3 weeks to stop offering me the F8 maps update although it did say the maps were up to date!

On 6/24/2019 at 11:56 PM, Kevkawasaki said:

hi sorry to bother you ive got one of those wiring harness off amazon too just not clear on what wires go where and do i remove the remaining wires are they not needed ?.

don't know if it matters im going from sync 1.1 to sync 2 your help would be much appreciated.  

Did you get sorted. Follow lukes guide regarding the wiring and you can cut the un used cables or just tape them up. 

Hi no not sorted yet I did follow Luke's guide I just think I'm having a mental block swapping and adding wires I'm normally pretty dam good at this sort of thing but I have to admit its giving me real head f--ks lol.

19 hours ago, Doger said:

I did exactly what you said at the end of April with no probs since, change the Vin# in the file to the donor cars Vin# and it works a treat now running Sync Software V3 and maps F8. The only thing I will say is that after updating to Maps F8 it took the Ford site 2 or 3 weeks to stop offering me the F8 maps update although it did say the maps were up to date!

I’ll give it another go, did you use some kind of special program to edit the xml upload file? I just used notepad and uploaded it with no probs, just waiting for it to let me do maps 

David1981

I used Word it said it could not edit it but it can. 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, Doger said:

David1981

I used Word it said it could not edit it but it can. 👍

Well tried a few more times each time changing the vin# inside the file and uploading to ford and still no joy, even tried another donor car vin and still won’t let me do maps, just the same software update every time, don’t know what else I could try now 

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question alert!

I have just upgraded to SYNC 3, thank you so much @mastachaz. It was very easy compared to how I had dreaded it! I have one issue remaining, the new USB Hub. I have ordered a replacement hub and adapter loom from eBay. I have connected the loom to the hub and the connector that goes into the existing power connector is a little big, but fits. There is no power to the hub though..

So in true fault-finding mode, I thought I would see if it is the hub or the loom connection. If I was to splice the wires etc, I would have to do it when the existing power connector is in place as I have a Mk 3 Facelift and the cables are already in place. Clearly there would be voltage going through it when switched on, but is there when switched off? I guess what I am trying to say is, If got in and didn't switch the ignition on, could I cut of the connector and splice to the existing loom? Would I need to disconnect the battery or is it safe to work on in situ? Then try the the hub to see if the new one is duff or do I go to Ford and buy a new hub as that's more likely the problem?

Advice please? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:01 PM, nigel brown said:

Hi Luke,

just to let you know got everything working, the SD reader is broke so I’ve ordered another.

thanks for your help

What's the part number of the SD card reader? Thanks

Sorry to add another question but how do you get the front facia and steering wheel controls setup as I have everything up and running except those, i have looked through the PDF and tried the wires yet none of it worked and it's got me confused.

Thanks

On 8/4/2019 at 9:53 PM, Jordan434 said:

Sorry to add another question but how do you get the front facia and steering wheel controls setup as I have everything up and running except those, i have looked through the PDF and tried the wires yet none of it worked and it's got me confused.

Thanks

2 different connections. You’ve messed up somewhere. Check you have things the right way round. I made this mistake. And I couldn’t get steering controls to work. 

Hi guys, I have the bridge wiring loom from amazon and about too make the necessary mods before I fit it etc. Which side is pin 1 and which side is pin 54? See attached pic

IMG_20190807_223428.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club