Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

2 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Sounds like you’ve not added the two wires from the hvac controls to the front panel connector. Hence why only the Hazards are working. Or the wires are loose. Double check the wires from the HVAC panel to the front Facia panel connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for your response.  

I'd spliced the wires from the noted coloured wires on the Blue A/C Plug (HVAC?) pins to 19 & 20 on the APIM, that was my understanding from looking at the conversion table, is this not correct?

Edit*  I don't recall doing FCDIM 4 & 5 to the button panel 7 & 4, but I will check!  Would this be linking or moving pins before a frazzle my brains?

16 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Hmm ok, I’ll give that a try. Any guidance to what part of forscan I’d be changing that option? From 3.5 to 3?

You got it working mate ?

You got it working mate ?

Not yet unfortunately, not too sure what to change

Ah nice one, cheers pal! I’ll give it a go tomorrow hopefully :)

I'd spliced the wires from the noted coloured wires on the Blue A/C Plug (HVAC?) pins to 19 & 20 on the APIM, that was my understanding from looking at the conversion table, is this not correct?
Edit*  I don't recall doing FCDIM 4 & 5 to the button panel 7 & 4, but I will check!  Would this be linking or moving pins before a frazzle my brains?

From what I remember, there was a blank slot on my front panel connector. 1 cable with a new pin in to that and then the other I just spliced. Sorry it was a while ago since I did my upgrade and I barely get time to do anymore work on my car :)

Ok, just jogged my my memory. You need to run the cables 4 & 5 from the FCDIM connector and then place 4 in 7 and 5 in 4 on the front panel accessory connector. On the the connector, you’ll notice a blank slot which will take a pin. So as it stands, one cable will need splicing and the other should just pop straight in to the connector.

Hope this helps bud! :)

6d69f4de5de44e60d0574afecbed005d.jpg

@tommo17 made that change, didn’t work unfortunately. Just as an FYI mines a sync 2? I know half of the sync 3 changes work on the sync 2 unit but I’m just double checking

Just a thought, there’s loads to choose from... have I changed it to the wrong value fo you reckon? 6e8de9b6c3680045d263799cb63747a5.jpg

On 9/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Monks600 said:

Just a thought, there’s loads to choose from... have I changed it to the wrong value fo you reckon? 6e8de9b6c3680045d263799cb63747a5.jpg

Going to try the date I got from Phil tonight that came from Luke so I’ll check mine and let you know what mine is. 

On 9/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Monks600 said:

Try changing to match that. Just back up your own first. 

FCA7D4CF-6655-4B37-A63B-8307FB48FC84.jpeg

• Like 1

Try changing to match that. Just back up your own first. 
FCA7D4CF-6655-4B37-A63B-8307FB48FC84.thumb.jpeg.d59c11ac97bb0b14ba23e0df018dbd1b.jpeg

Legend, thanks mate! I’ll give it a go in the morning :)

• Thanks 1

Just because this thread isn't long enough!!:

@Luke_Anderson did you already have a rear camera before you upgraded to sync 3? Did you have the connector in the boot as well?

I know the vid feed goes to (iirc) 14 and 15 in the APIM connector, so I suppose the connector in the boot provides switched live when needed? Was there a loom already present between the back of the car and the APIM, or do you have to run wires the whole way?

Sorry bud but mine was already there 👍🏻

I believe on the Prefacelift there is a separate module that controls the rear camera, on the facelift the camera is activated differently. 

The entire loom is unlikely to be there to be honest, in this instance I’d look more towards getting an aftermarket camera ( a decent one that’s moulded into the rear number plate light ) and run it that way 

• Thanks 1

Still can’t update the sync unit since changing, it has updated the sync software to 3.0 don’t know if this is the latest version or not and that’s as far as I can go, I’ve changed the vin number inside the log file that gets uploaded to the update website, upload it and that’s it, never lets me do the maps just keeps offering the same update every time, never the maps, I have tried 3 different donor car vin numbers over the past 4 months and still nothing. Anyone got any idea on what I could be doing wrong ?? 

Still can’t update the sync unit since changing, it has updated the sync software to 3.0 don’t know if this is the latest version or not and that’s as far as I can go, I’ve changed the vin number inside the log file that gets uploaded to the update website, upload it and that’s it, never lets me do the maps just keeps offering the same update every time, never the maps, I have tried 3 different donor car vin numbers over the past 4 months and still nothing. Anyone got any idea on what I could be doing wrong ?? 

Same here David. Very odd. I’m on build 18025 and have re-installed several times and observe the same behaviour as above.

I think the latest build for the V 3.0 is 19xxx. Although there are several different ones knocking about. If you google it, you can download ‘official’ and not ‘official’ files of later builds. I am a software developer and love a risk, but not to brick my car!

I have seen evidence that there are multiple hardware configurations of SYNC 3 about and it’s a bit like iOS. Once it gets to a certain age, Ford doesn’t update as much or if at all. The same happened with SYNC 2.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all.

I don't know if at this point of the conversation this question is timely, but I have a couple of doubts. I already have all hardware prepared to upgrade my SYNC 1 (focus facelit 2015) to SYNC2. I've rewired all "rewirable" and I'm just waiting for the fascia bracket to fix the new unit to the car, but I have everything ready. After installing everything I will need to "re-program" using forscan and/or focccus (I also have the modified ELM for ford). My question is.. in all tutorials I've found over internet they say I need to download the as built data from a ViM of a car with the same features as mine but with SYNC2.... This will be really difficult, my car (1.6 TI-VCT 125 CV Trend model from 2015) doesn't mount on origin the SYNC2 and I think the dealer doesn't give you the option to have a 8" unit, so, How can I found a car with the correct as-built data if it's almost impossible to found my model and my version and with SYNC2??. I have the VIN of the original car where this unit exactly come from, but its a TDI diesel engine from 2015 with Titanium Version, so I cannot use the as built data of this car. The thing is that I don't know what forscan will write to the ECU exactly using this asbuilt data... (perhaps I will brick completely my car). In case I will not use this as built data, What it's necessary to change to have the Sync2 unit operative ? 

My second question is, on the focus Sync conversion table, it says that on pin 16 and 17 I have to splice two HVAC cables... but I don't know at all what is HVAC... A/C connectors? Which one???

Thanks a lot in advance, This is the only things I don't have clear. 

10 minutes ago, simrad said:

Hi all.

I don't know if at this point of the conversation this question is timely, but I have a couple of doubts. I already have all hardware prepared to upgrade my SYNC 1 (focus facelit 2015) to SYNC2. I've rewired all "rewirable" and I'm just waiting for the fascia bracket to fix the new unit to the car, but I have everything ready. After installing everything I will need to "re-program" using forscan and/or focccus (I also have the modified ELM for ford). My question is.. in all tutorials I've found over internet they say I need to download the as built data from a ViM of a car with the same features as mine but with SYNC2.... This will be really difficult, my car (1.6 TI-VCT 125 CV Trend model from 2015) doesn't mount on origin the SYNC2 and I think the dealer doesn't give you the option to have a 8" unit, so, How can I found a car with the correct as-built data if it's almost impossible to found my model and my version and with SYNC2??. I have the VIN of the original car where this unit exactly come from, but its a TDI diesel engine from 2015 with Titanium Version, so I cannot use the as built data of this car. The thing is that I don't know what forscan will write to the ECU exactly using this asbuilt data... (perhaps I will brick completely my car). In case I will not use this as built data, What it's necessary to change to have the Sync2 unit operative ? 

My second question is, on the focus Sync conversion table, it says that on pin 16 and 17 I have to splice two HVAC cables... but I don't know at all what is HVAC... A/C connectors? Which one???

Thanks a lot in advance, This is the only things I don't have clear. 

Don’t stress too much. The only as built data that is written is to the sync unit itself so it won’t effect your bcm or any other modules. What you need is to find a car that has your level of equipment, something that matches any optional extras you might have ( climate control, reverse cam etc etc ) engine size and type and even trim level aren’t that important. It just gives you a good base to start with for the coding. Only thing to make sure of is that car you are borrowing the data from is either sat nav or non depending on what unit you have purchased. 

As far as the pins go all you are looking for is a ms-can input. I took mine from the hvac module ( climate control ) because it was near to the unit and convenient to tap into however you can wire direct to the bcm, the instrument cluster or any other module that uses the ms-can network. 

Thanks Luke... now I have everything more clear, except I don't know at all if the unit I purchased has navigation....ups... I suppose with the part number it's impossible to know. (DM5T-14F239-AP). The as-built data from this car says on line 172  (08-With Display, No touchscreen, Colour-TFT, DM8 w/o navi) so I'm starting to think I will not have navigation on it 😞 😞 (I suposse not all SYNC2 units can be navigation enabled), although I have the GPSM module and everything needed. 

About the ms-can network, I think the best option will be to take from climate control, now I have to find the correct wires in the correct connector....

Thanks a lot, Señor Luke.. 🙂 

Day per day I'm learning new things about this. Now I understand what you told me about nav or not nav on the apim. So, lately I will try to activate navigation.. I don't know if I would sucess, but I will try. But still have a little confusion. I have the VIN of the original car where sync 2 was installed, everything is correct. I'm 100% sure the unit is sync2 but when I introduce the VIN on the sync update page of ford it tells me there is an update for "my" sync. I download, and when I open the lst file it tells it's a Sync3 update... I don't understand. Ford in Spain is really awful. Last Monday I ordered the last piece to install the radio, just the bracket to attach the screen to the acm. They asked me for the part number and the vin of my car. Yesterday I went to get the piece and they told me they ordered the correct piece for my car, just the SYNC1 bracket... If I told them I want to change to 8" screen... Why they decide which piece I need??? The worst idea you can have in Spain is to bring the car to an official dealer 😂😂😂

It's not that much better here in the UK. I asked my local Evil Halshaw to supply a CarPlay hub, gave them part numbers and finis codes and they still couldn't find it. They ended up ordering 4 different ones before finding the one I wanted via trial and error...

At the moment I'm still waiting, the carrier has delivered my simple plastic piece in another place, so I have to wait until monday to finish my job :(. At the moment I have everything I need to make the change. I've just rewire the 54-pin to 54-pin connector only to see that the unit is working. I added also the pins for the media hub but I don't have a navigation card. Pins from FDIM are not yet connected to the 54 pin connector, but, I've start and Radio, bluetooth and USB was working... also the steering wheel control (not voice control). I was pretty sure that my unit has no navigation, but in the right top corner was written "Insert Navigation Card" and the compass ball was small, but was not showing anything (I don't know if because I was in the garage or because the GPSM is not really connected to the apim). So, this means that the APIM unit has navigation activated????

I'd like to ask also which pins correspond to voice commands. I've just try the steering wheel control and FWD, RW, VOL+ and VOL- was working, but not the voice control button (Speech button). I hope this will be working after I connect the DataLink+ DataLink- Steering wheel Control + and Steering Wheel control - (I don't know what is DataLink....) I still need to find where the GPS wires are..

Well, next monday I will tell about my advances... 

1 hour ago, simrad said:

At the moment I'm still waiting, the carrier has delivered my simple plastic piece in another place, so I have to wait until monday to finish my job :(. At the moment I have everything I need to make the change. I've just rewire the 54-pin to 54-pin connector only to see that the unit is working. I added also the pins for the media hub but I don't have a navigation card. Pins from FDIM are not yet connected to the 54 pin connector, but, I've start and Radio, Bluetooth and USB was working... also the steering wheel control (not voice control). I was pretty sure that my unit has no navigation, but in the right top corner was written "Insert Navigation Card" and the compass ball was small, but was not showing anything (I don't know if because I was in the garage or because the GPSM is not really connected to the apim). So, this means that the APIM unit has navigation activated????

I'd like to ask also which pins correspond to voice commands. I've just try the steering wheel control and FWD, RW, VOL+ and VOL- was working, but not the voice control button (Speech button). I hope this will be working after I connect the DataLink+ DataLink- Steering wheel Control + and Steering Wheel control - (I don't know what is DataLink....) I still need to find where the GPS wires are..

Well, next monday I will tell about my advances... 

Gps wires are easy to connect to the heating controls as per Luke’s guide (hvac)

23 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

Gps wires are easy to connect to the heating controls as per Luke’s guide (hvac)

So, what you mean is that the GPS antenna module (DE8T 19H463 DC, is mine, someone on Facebook told me that it was not a GPS module) is connected to the MS-CAN network and I can take the signal from Any module connected to that network. With regard to the HVAC connector I am also confused. I thought the HVAC connector was the blue connector on the back of the climate control, but elsewhere I read that the connector is in the center console near the driver's seat (Named as C237). I found this diagram online. it says I have to take the connection from pins 8 and 9 of this connector. If so, where is this module located? I think there are some differences between the Luke's guide for a pre-facelit and mine, facelit.

HVAC.png

33 minutes ago, simrad said:

So, what you mean is that the GPS antenna module (DE8T 19H463 DC, is mine, someone on Facebook told me that it was not a GPS module) is connected to the MS-CAN network and I can take the signal from Any module connected to that network. With regard to the HVAC connector I am also confused. I thought the HVAC connector was the blue connector on the back of the climate control, but elsewhere I read that the connector is in the center console near the driver's seat (Named as C237). I found this diagram online. it says I have to take the connection from pins 8 and 9 of this connector. If so, where is this module located? I think there are some differences between the Luke's guide for a pre-facelit and mine, facelit.

HVAC.png

If you have the gps module it will be behind the plastic cover on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror. 

you can run the cables upto it. But it’s much easier to tap into the ms can network via the hvac controls. Or further below hvac control is the C23/237 connector you’ve pictured. 

check you’ve got the module in the place I’ve said. 

yes it is the blue connector.