Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Yes, I have the module behind the rear view mirror (I'm sending a certificate picture, he, he), and now I have clear that the GPS signal can be taken from the ms-can network, and that I can have the MS-CAN + /- from the Blue Connector shown in the second picture. But, Which wires I have to chose to send to apim (16-17 pin)? In his guide, Luke say Grey/orange for 16 and Purple/orange for 17, but its too tight and dark, and I'm not good with colors like women are :). Once I knew, I will splice from that wires, Normally I'm using this fast connectors I bought on amazon (see picture) but I'd like to know if you have an easier or effective mode to splice that small wires.

Thanks a lot for all your help, and sorry to be so heavy, but once I open the "watermelon" I want to do everything at once.... Thanks again...

gpsm.jpg

splice.jpg

I forget the "second" picture... I suposse this is the HVAC connector Luke was talking about...

accontrol.jpg

Dealers are pretty crap. The one I went to for a few bits was reluctant to order the bits I wanted because in his words ‘it’s a waste of time and impossible to do’. If you get them your vin they will only order what your car originally came with. 

The hvac plug is the blue one, you need the twisted pair (grey/orange and purple/orange. 

The connectors you are using are not great to be honest, they don’t always connect properly and can cause all kinds of problems, you should really be splicing into the cable and soldering your connections. 

Sounds like you do have a navigation unit so that’s a bonus. The module behind the mirror is the gpsm so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise 

the voice control and some other issues are resolved when you change the central configuration ( can be done using forscan now instead of focccus ) remember to make the change in both the bcm and the ipc.

also I’m order for the car to see the gpsm module you need to delete your current profile in forscan and scan the car fresh. It will then show up. 

14 hours ago, simrad said:

I forget the "second" picture... I suposse this is the HVAC connector Luke was talking about...

accontrol.jpg

Think it's pin 5 and 6 on the Blue connector. 

9 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Dealers are pretty crap. The one I went to for a few bits was reluctant to order the bits I wanted because in his words ‘it’s a waste of time and impossible to do’. If you get them your vin they will only order what your car originally came with. 

The hvac plug is the blue one, you need the twisted pair (grey/orange and purple/orange. 

The connectors you are using are not great to be honest, they don’t always connect properly and can cause all kinds of problems, you should really be splicing into the cable and soldering your connections. 

Sounds like you do have a navigation unit so that’s a bonus. The module behind the mirror is the gpsm so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise 

the voice control and some other issues are resolved when you change the central configuration ( can be done using forscan now instead of focccus ) remember to make the change in both the bcm and the ipc.

also I’m order for the car to see the gpsm module you need to delete your current profile in forscan and scan the car fresh. It will then show up. 

Many Thanks, Luke... Now I have everything really clear. As I told, I'm not able to have the electric soldier close to the car, so I decided I'm going to look for a gas soldier... I was using it when sailing on Antarctica just to solder connectors :). This job is not difficult for me, I've been working as seismic engineer for several years on board an scientific research and many times I had to soldier wires on a 120 underwater pin connector in the middle of a storm, but my pulse now is not for stealing jingle bells. 

Well, I will try on monday, I'm still waiting for the bracket to attach the unit (and look for new bolts, I think I will need more than I have in my actual unit). When I finish the war with forscan will start. I'm still looking for a car with the closest features to mine but with SYNC2 to get the as built data. I will use forscan, some time ago I tried Focccus but it was giving me some connection fails, forscan was working properly..

If I get it working I will put the pictures and send a bouquet of flowers to all those who helped me 🙂

I can recommend the Iroda Solderpro range for gas irons. They do a smaller one (I think 35w) a 70w and a 120w. The 70 is perfect for general soldering. I've used mine on everything from the car and the PS4 to marine engines and pipe organs!

Replacement tips are not cheap, but if you look after them with regular tinning and use a brass wire brush to clean the tip, not a wet sponge then they last forever.

I’m just gonna put it out there I used them connectors and had no problems.......yet 🤪

I found the ones I had didn't 'bite' through the sheathing on the HVAC wires so I had no GPS fix to start with.

As long as you make sure they make contact with the wire you can still use scotch locks.

Hi there, is it possible to send by email in PDF sync connector pin conversion from Sync to Sync2? I can not open it here as it says it is no more available. I am just starting to swap from Sync to Sync2 🙂 My email is: zivny.ondrej@gmail.com Thank you so much! Ondrej

I've emailed it to you. You might want to edit your email out of your post now or you'll probably get a lot of spam!!

Hi, my friends. 

Today I've make all changes and install the new SYNC2 unit. I didn't program anything, I didn't use forscan or focccus for now. After install, everything is working but The button control (I cannot use buttons at all, but the emergency light). Also, the media hub is not working, it's not detecting, I think its broken because USB on the media hub is not working. But, At the moment, I'm wondered about the button pannel. I've drive pin 4 from the 4" display connector to button pannel pin 7 (I've attach to the cable that was connected to this pin) and I've drive pin 5 from 4" connector display to the button panel pin 4 but the button pannel is not working at all. The only thing I can think about is that I have to remove the existing wire to pin 7 and connect the new one....I don't know, tomorrow I will check. But everything is working, signal from GPS, voice control, radio, bluetooth, climate control... etc... I must say that when I took the FCDIM connector, and try to connect pin 6 and 12 to pin 51 and 52 of the apim, I've found that I don't have any wire on the FCDIM to pins 6 and 12.... so I didn't connect anything.

Can anyone make me any orientation about the button pannel problem??? Will this be solved after programming the APIM??

TIA

Try changing to match that. Just back up your own first. 
FCA7D4CF-6655-4B37-A63B-8307FB48FC84.thumb.jpeg.d59c11ac97bb0b14ba23e0df018dbd1b.jpeg

Gave it a go, didn’t change anything unfortunately! I’m at a loose end! It did how ever fix the auto dimming function on the sync 2 unit, now I don’t get blinded from the headunit at night :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all again, just forget part of my previous message. I've solved the problem with the buttons. There was a mistake with the pins on the FCDIM, just connected in reverse order. Now they are OK and the button pannel is working as spected. I still have a couple of things to solve:

1.- Voice control assistant is not "talking", neither in Principiant or Advanced mode

2.- bluetooth calls cannot be heard

This two questions I hope will be solved after forscan programming (I suposse)

3.- Media hub is not working. Well, at the moment I have GPSM connection because the ball in the right top pannel is giving me my heading (N-S-E-W) when moving. I have the message "Insert Navigation Card" in the green bar, but now I don't have a navigation card. Anyway, I've just put some music on an SD card and insert, but, when I click on SD CARD on the entertainment section it says "No device found". I'm pretty sure I've connect correctly the different pins on the APIM with the corresponding pins on the media hub, As shown in the picture, I've suposse the pin 1 of the media hub, the one with the blue arrow and the pin 8 of the media hub the one with the red arrow... Is this correct?

4.- And my last question. As I didn't found any wire on the FCDIM for pins 6 and 12, I didn't connect the DataLink+ and Datalink- but I don't know what is this for. In an spreadsheet found I don't know where, I see that those pins can be connected to the ACM pins 6 and 19... but I don't know which one of the two ACM connectors I have to take.. 

Thanks to all.

3 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Gave it a go, didn’t change anything unfortunately! I’m at a loose end! It did how ever fix the auto dimming function on the sync 2 unit, now I don’t get blinded from the headunit at night 🙂

Yes I knocked my auto dimming off. Couldn’t remember what I done I was playing around with the ac repeater. Luke’s data solved that for me. 

have you turned on advanced park pilot in the menu ? Strange yours hasn’t worked as straight away mine showed up. 

Yes I knocked my auto dimming off. Couldn’t remember what I done I was playing around with the ac repeater. Luke’s data solved that for me. 

have you turned on advanced park pilot in the menu ? Strange yours hasn’t worked as straight away mine showed up. 

Haha, yeah it’s one of those things that didn’t bother me until it’s started to get dark earlier. And yeah, toggled that’s under settings
I’ve come from sync 1 Sony model to sync 2. Rear sensors only. They beep and all that jaz and they are 100% factory fitted. Never had them display a visual on my sync 1, does that make a difference?

Sorry for the delays, family life takes over and I have very little time to tinker with my car :)

Hi all again, just forget part of my previous message. I've solved the problem with the buttons. There was a mistake with the pins on the FCDIM, just connected in reverse order. Now they are OK and the button pannel is working as spected. I still have a couple of things to solve:
1.- Voice control assistant is not "talking", neither in Principiant or Advanced mode
2.- Bluetooth calls cannot be heard
This two questions I hope will be solved after forscan programming (I suposse)
3.- Media hub is not working. Well, at the moment I have GPSM connection because the ball in the right top pannel is giving me my heading (N-S-E-W) when moving. I have the message "Insert Navigation Card" in the green bar, but now I don't have a navigation card. Anyway, I've just put some music on an SD card and insert, but, when I click on SD CARD on the entertainment section it says "No device found". I'm pretty sure I've connect correctly the different pins on the APIM with the corresponding pins on the media hub, As shown in the picture, I've suposse the pin 1 of the media hub, the one with the blue arrow and the pin 8 of the media hub the one with the red arrow... Is this correct?
4.- And my last question. As I didn't found any wire on the FCDIM for pins 6 and 12, I didn't connect the DataLink+ and Datalink- but I don't know what is this for. In an spreadsheet found I don't know where, I see that those pins can be connected to the ACM pins 6 and 19... but I don't know which one of the two ACM connectors I have to take.. 
Thanks to all.

If this is a sync 2 retrofit, with the media hub, you only really require 2 wires from the hub to the apim and that just power + and -. The other wires are used for line in (head phone) jack. So if you’re not bothered about that, 2 wires for power to the hub work fine. That’s what I’ve done. Make sure the mini USB cables is seated firmly in the back of the sync 2 unit and also swap the other end to the other mini USB port on the hub. Initially I thought mine was broke until I swapped ports on the hub itself.

21 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

If this is a sync 2 retrofit, with the media hub, you only really require 2 wires from the hub to the apim and that just power + and -. The other wires are used for line in (head phone) jack. So if you’re not bothered about that, 2 wires for power to the hub work fine. That’s what I’ve done. Make sure the mini USB cables is seated firmly in the back of the sync 2 unit and also swap the other end to the other mini USB port on the hub. Initially I thought mine was broke until I swapped ports on the hub itself.

My retrofit is from SYNC1 to SYNC2 so I need the media hub with the SD card reader and this reader needs 7 wires to the apim, not only power... I didn't connect any USB to this media hub, I've just use the front USB connected to the APIM. My old media hub was composed by a USB connector an a line in connector. What I can do is connect the old line in to the new HUB, and put a large USB connector to the other USB connection on the have, and plug this on the APIM. Perhaps my understanding about this media hub is not complete.....

3 hours ago, simrad said:

My retrofit is from SYNC1 to SYNC2 so I need the media hub with the SD card reader and this reader needs 7 wires to the apim, not only power... I didn't connect any USB to this media hub, I've just use the front USB connected to the APIM. My old media hub was composed by a USB connector an a line in connector. What I can do is connect the old line in to the new HUB, and put a large USB connector to the other USB connection on the have, and plug this on the APIM. Perhaps my understanding about this media hub is not complete.....

You need a usb cable to the new hub try that 

I will.. I've been thinking about it. I just connected the 7 pins on the 8 pin connector but I didn't connect the usb.... I will tell later 😊

3 hours ago, simrad said:

I will.. I've been thinking about it. I just connected the 7 pins on the 8 pin connector but I didn't connect the usb.... I will tell later 😊

That is your problem, as monks said the other wires to hub are purely for the aux in, sd and usb are transferred over usb to the apim. That is 100% why it isn’t working 

• Like 1

Yeah, Thanks Luke. Finally I connected the USB through a double usb-miniusb cable connected with a coupler (that a broke during installation and I needed to go and buy a new one), but finally it's working OK. I didn't connect the Line AUX because my focus doesn't have a miniUSB connector for line but a 4 (I think) normal pin connector. But, at the moment, with the USB and the 7 pins connected to the hub seems to be working ok, both devices are detected, and I can use the USB normally, also I can play music from an SD card, but, as I don't have a map sd card I cannot check if this is working....

Hi there. Did anyone make the upgrade from BT module with navi (I dont have Sync1 - but just BT module and nav) to the Sync2? I guess, that this is topic for upgrade from Sync1 to Sync2. Do you have any schema how to repun all the connectors if I have just BT module? Thank you very much!

Hi there, I have few questions. I have made upgrade from BT module (I didnt have Sync1) to Sync2. At this moment everything is connected and working.

Only thing, that does not work is, that does not play sound from my phone via BT and USB. But it does found that phone, it is connected via BT, also via USB, but no sound from it.

And also I can not see that small car on the display when I am parking. I have sensors font and back.

And is there more different Sync2 diplays? Because on the main page here is picture with the climate controller (window), but I dont have it there in mine... I have just date there. 
Thank you very much for your helps.

F3B599C3-00B5-4D0C-9A28-B639DC39719A.jpeg

3FDC7ACA-EDDB-4B54-BC81-A5BD8F1CFE00.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club