Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

On 10/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, simrad said:

Camera installed and working... No need to change anything on asbuilt mode, just in enginer mode activate as North America camera... 

IMG_20191016_133519.jpg

Do you have a camera module or just plugged the camera to the APIM?

6 hours ago, Sandra15a said:

Do you have a camera module or just plugged the camera to the APIM?

Just plug the camera to the apim. So easy, you need an RCA cable with two wires, + and -, then + wire must go to pin 14 and - wire to pin 15, then activate the camera with forscan (although I did with focccus) and it's work. The easy option is to buy the extension cable with RCA connector on amazon. I did it, because I retrofitted from SYnc1 to Sync2, and I used it to rewire and add new pins...

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07G16KK4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, simrad said:

Just plug the camera to the apim. So easy, you need an RCA cable with two wires, + and -, then + wire must go to pin 14 and - wire to pin 15, then activate the camera with forscan (although I did with focccus) and it's work. The easy option is to buy the extension cable with RCA connector on amazon. I did it, because I retrofitted from SYnc1 to Sync2, and I used it to rewire and add new pins...

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07G16KK4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

... and the GPSM? Did you splice it or disconnect the original and let only the new antenna to the APIM? So, do you have both GPSM and the new GPS antenna connected the same time?

Also, It's mandatory to have an USB HUB or could I just plug an SD Card adapter directly to the USB? This USB is where I'm connecting my cell phone and it's working perfectly.

27 minutes ago, Sandra15a said:

... and the GPSM? Did you splice it or disconnect the original and let only the new antenna to the APIM? So, do you have both GPSM and the new GPS antenna connected the same time?

Also, It's mandatory to have an USB HUB or could I just plug an SD Card adapter directly to the USB? This USB is where I'm connecting my cell phone and it's working perfectly.

GPS is Ok, I can see some information about  location, satellites and even the clock is working, set to GPS time. The error message I still see, I think has to do with the fact I didn't connect the map card yet, is that right? And again, may I have a map card through an adapter SD Card directly inserted at the USB I'm using with android auto?

On 10/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, simrad said:

Camera installed and working... No need to change anything on asbuilt mode, just in enginer mode activate as North America camera... 

IMG_20191016_133519.jpg

Sorry to bother you with all these questions, I think I must be failing just for a tiny detail I'm not seeing clearly. I won't buy this cable, I've already connected my camera to the APIM 14 and 15, and checked the right position for signal and return. Also have already  powered the camera and verify it's working perfectly with another multimedia unit.

Have you had to change VIN number at any moment for the APIM? What would be the block address to do it?

Hi guys, almost finished here 🙂 just a quick question, how do you deal with updates as original ones are binded to VIN of the vehicle. I was trying to find some meaningful info but it seems harder than the hardware change 🙈 thank you.

10 hours ago, Štěpán said:

Hi guys, almost finished here 🙂 just a quick question, how do you deal with updates as original ones are binded to VIN of the vehicle. I was trying to find some meaningful info but it seems harder than the hardware change 🙈 thank you.

Hi Stepan. In the end I used the "update sync the easy way" which is a thread on this forum. If I put my reg into the ford website, it quite rightly said "your car does not have sync 2 fitted".

On 10/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, Sandra15a said:

Sorry to bother you with all these questions, I think I must be failing just for a tiny detail I'm not seeing clearly. I won't buy this cable, I've already connected my camera to the APIM 14 and 15, and checked the right position for signal and return. Also have already  powered the camera and verify it's working perfectly with another multimedia unit.

Have you had to change VIN number at any moment for the APIM? What would be the block address to do it?

Hi, Nathan. You have to activate the camera on sync2 to work with it. I did it with focccus instead forscan, but, in any case, you can activate with forscan using the engineer mode, much more easy. In my case, I had problems with the electrical connection, black wire has to be attached to a metallic part of the car. The painted area cannot be use, it's insulated. In any case, I needed a filter to have a good and stable image, because 12 Volts to rear light is not stable... 

Sorry for this late awnser..

On 10/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, Sandra15a said:

I spliced the GPSM from the HVAC connector, I used an splice connector and it works perfectly. For the SD reader, I don't think a USB to SD reader will work. It's mandatory to have the USB-SD hub if you want to use navigation, for the sd maps card.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, Sandra15a said:

GPS is Ok, I can see some information about  location, satellites and even the clock is working, set to GPS time. The error message I still see, I think has to do with the fact I didn't connect the map card yet, is that right? And again, may I have a map card through an adapter SD Card directly inserted at the USB I'm using with android auto?

If you don't insert a map navigation SD you will have the message "Insert Navigation Card", you cannot use android auto because is not compatible with SYNC2

On 10/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, Sandra15a said:

If you don't insert a map navigation SD you will have the message "Insert Navigation Card", you cannot use android auto because is not compatible with SYNC2

Hi all, I have an stupid question. I'm helping a friend to retrofit his sync1 unit to Sync2 as I did, but he is trying to use an APIM+Screen where the donor car was not a focus but a S-Max, when we connect the module to the SYNC1 cable or With the rewired extension cable, what we have is a back screen. All wires are correct, although first time of connection, the pin number 38 was disconnected (and this is the ground), so the fuse number 67 was blown. But, I can think that a SYNC2 unit from S-Max could not be compatible with focus, but something should appear on the screen after connection...isn't it ?. After that we tried with a SYNC2 unit from a ford focus, but was bough on eBay and the conditions of the unit was terrible. Also, if he connect the apim to the rewired cable or the original SYNC1 cable (native) fuse 67 is blowing.... (this fuse controls GPSM and screen).

So my question, should the screen from SMAX works (although not fully) with the focus? I cannot understand why I cannot see anything on screen, it's not starting.

TIA

3 hours ago, simrad said:

Hi all, I have an stupid question. I'm helping a friend to retrofit his sync1 unit to Sync2 as I did, but he is trying to use an APIM+Screen where the donor car was not a focus but a S-Max, when we connect the module to the SYNC1 cable or With the rewired extension cable, what we have is a back screen. All wires are correct, although first time of connection, the pin number 38 was disconnected (and this is the ground), so the fuse number 67 was blown. But, I can think that a SYNC2 unit from S-Max could not be compatible with focus, but something should appear on the screen after connection...isn't it ?. After that we tried with a SYNC2 unit from a ford focus, but was bough on eBay and the conditions of the unit was terrible. Also, if he connect the apim to the rewired cable or the original SYNC1 cable (native) fuse 67 is blowing.... (this fuse controls GPSM and screen).

So my question, should the screen from SMAX works (although not fully) with the focus? I cannot understand why I cannot see anything on screen, it's not starting.

TIA

All syncs are the same regardless of vehicle only the screen frame changes which is switchable  sounds more like a wiring issue

5 hours ago, simrad said:

Hi, Nathan. You have to activate the camera on sync2 to work with it. I did it with focccus instead forscan, but, in any case, you can activate with forscan using the engineer mode, much more easy. In my case, I had problems with the electrical connection, black wire has to be attached to a metallic part of the car. The painted area cannot be use, it's insulated. In any case, I needed a filter to have a good and stable image, because 12 Volts to rear light is not stable... 

Sorry for this late awnser..

Hi! What do you mean with "black wire", connect the "return" to the ground as well? The camera has signal, return, power and ground (already connected to the ground - obviously).

Hi guys, after programming I have this small issue that my trip computer does not remember anything,after ignition cycle deletes all data. Any ideas? Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there, are you someone looking for Sync2? I will have one for sale with navi - APIM, Display, Fascia, media HUB, USB cables to the central tunnel, SD card. 270 EUR. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I need some help for media hub pin-out. Where 1pin and where is 8pin on media hub?

Pin 1 ->sync II pin8

Pin 8->sync II pin38

Thanks

MhAAAgCDCuA-960.jpg

If anyone is looking to do this to a 2011-2103 Focus MK without SYNC then I've created a how to:

@JPW Thanks for picture.

Have another question, in my old sync 1.1 have one usb cable but this mediahub have 2 one for usb and one for SD card. Do I need second usb cable too?

[mention=108559]JPW[/mention] Thanks for picture.
Have another question, in my old sync 1.1 have one usb cable but this mediahub have 2 one for usb and one for SD card. Do I need second usb cable too?

You only need 1 usb cable from the apim to the media hub. The spare micro USB port is for another cable to the front mounted USB port on the facelift focus. Essentially, the extra cable provides you with another USB port up print rather than a singular in the armrest. I’ve just stuck with the USB port built in to the media hub in the armrest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monks600 From that 1 usb cable SD port with satnav will be working to?

Monks600 From that 1 usb cable SD port with satnav will be working to?

Yes, USB port and sd card run down the 1 cable. Then you power the hub with the 2 pins cable from the harness. Unless you still want line in to work then you run more than 2 wires from the harness. I took power from thecig lighter socket from the rear passenger facing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro