Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Does your focus not have a gps module already. If it shows N,S,E & W in the dash clocks you have a gps module and don't need another. On the Kuga the GPS module is behind the clocks and it is the antenna that is behind the rear view mirror.

On sync 2 the GPSM needs to be connect to pins 16 and 17 of the Sync 2 APIM.

with the original nav the gps is in the roof aerial, will have a look at the weekend to check if the wiring harness has pins 16 and 17 i am not sure if it showed N,E,S,W on the dash

managed to get the rear view camera working now, and the gps is working, there were no wires from the apim in pins 16 and 17 so added the wires to the blue hvac connector pins 18 and 19, as for the camera hsd connector it seems pin 4 and 2 are the ones to connect pin 4 is Gnd to pin 15 and pin 2 is to pin 14, still need to configure the apim for the front parking sensor display

I've been reading this forum  for awhile now, I've got all of the parts needed for the upgrade but i just cant figure out the wiring side of things, had a mate of mine read through it also and he was even struggling, any help would be appreciated 

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/30/2020 at 2:02 AM, ADay said:

I've been reading this forum  for awhile now, I've got all of the parts needed for the upgrade but i just cant figure out the wiring side of things, had a mate of mine read through it also and he was even struggling, any help would be appreciated 

The wiring side looks a lot worse than it is. It's a lot easier if you buy the dedicated lead to do it but they are expensive. I bought a 54pin to 54 pin camera lead and removed the wires I didn't want and extended it by about 400mm and did the pin swaps at the same time. You maybe wouldn't need to do that on the focus but you still need to do the pin swaps. You need to understand which are pins 1 and which are pin 54 on both car and APIM. 

For example on the attached spreadsheet pins 16 and 17 from the car NOW go to pins 19 and 20 on the sync 2 APIM. There are only 8 pin swaps on the main lead from the car to sync 2 APIM.

Getting the sync 2 screen to power up is relatively easy but the tricky one is 2 wires from the old 4" sync 1 screen need to go to the sync 2 radio controls panel and one of the terminals you need is missing so you have to put a pin in. Pin 4 I think. Took me ages to figure out that yet the answer is simple. 

I spent ages researching the various spreadsheets on the internet and it can be confusing and a couple I found had the wrong information. I found also that you don't need to swap the ACM (CD Player). I configured my Sync 1 ACM to work with sync 2. Just one digit change in programming.

Also the data link connections were not relevant to my Kuga as I didn't have wires in pins 4 and 5 on the ACM. This spreadsheet will have come from the USA.

Focus Sync Conversion table.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am just about to start this upgrade. I currently have a 5 inch screen DAB/Nav Sync 1 system in a 2014 Focus Titanium Navigator  and am upgrading to Sync 3. 

I have managed to source all the bits required including the fascia from the US which has the hazard/lock button in. I also have the ACM/APIM/screen/GPS/HUB/Brackets etc. 

The only question I have is has anyone on here used the 4 inch to 8 inch Sync 1 to Sync 3 conversion harnesses you can buy from China and the US? I was thinking of going this route so that I didn't have to change the original wiring. 

Yes I bought one, it's expensive but it saves messing about with cables, the first one I bought wasn't compatible for some reason but the 2nd one was super simple. 

Think your looking at £135ish from Aliexpress.

Many thanks. I can't find one on AliExpress. I have found a couple on eBay for around the £120 mark.

I wasn't sure if they are different in anyway as I have seen some comments of Manual AirCon vs Auto AirCon. I have full dual digital climate in mine. It does say for Focus 2011-2014.

Just one more quick question before I go ahead with this. 

I have managed to download an AsBuilt file for a car that is virtually exactly the same as mine but a couple of years younger and has Sync 3 instead of Sync 1. 

There is only one file with a .ab extension. This seems to contain data for multiple modules. I am assuming that when I open APIM as built in ForScan and load this file, it will only pull in the data from that file for the APIM and not every module. So if I backup my APIM config before doing this, then I can revert back. 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, Steevo25 said:

Many thanks. I can't find one on AliExpress. I have found a couple on eBay for around the £120 mark.

I wasn't sure if they are different in anyway as I have seen some comments of Manual AirCon vs Auto AirCon. I have full dual digital climate in mine. It does say for Focus 2011-2014.

This is the buyer I got mine from 

£16.84  11%OFF | 4'' TO 8'' TOUCHSCREEN CONVERSION W/ SYNC 3 APIM MODULE SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 UPGRADE KIT for FORD FOCUS CARPLAY USB HUB NAVIGATION

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrKPGYH

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone let me know where to get a sync 3 screen from I've spent a lot of time looking ie eBay ,focus city,etc etc and having no luck at all got all the other bits harness etc just the screen is all I need to complete this ruddy upgrade lol thanks guys 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, mullett said:

can anyone let me know where to get a sync 3 screen from I've spent a lot of time looking ie Ebay ,focus city,etc etc and having no luck at all got all the other bits harness etc just the screen is all I need to complete this ruddy upgrade lol thanks guys 

@mullett

What about this? Screen and APIM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352723319448

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 3:39 PM, Steevo25 said:

Hi All,

I am just about to start this upgrade. I currently have a 5 inch screen DAB/Nav Sync 1 system in a 2014 Focus Titanium Navigator  and am upgrading to Sync 3. 

I have managed to source all the bits required including the fascia from the US which has the hazard/lock button in. I also have the ACM/APIM/screen/GPS/HUB/Brackets etc. 

The only question I have is has anyone on here used the 4 inch to 8 inch Sync 1 to Sync 3 conversion harnesses you can buy from China and the US? I was thinking of going this route so that I didn't have to change the original wiring. 

I didn't use the dedicated lead but if I was doing this again I would definitely think about it. I used the lead which adds a reverse camera which cost about £25 but then it took me 4 hours to extend it !! I soldered and heat shrinked every joint.

Another good reason to buy the dedicated lead is it will have all the wires in the plug for the radio control panel. If you don't use this lead then you need to put a pin in pin 4 as its empty and you need to cut the wire from pin 7. Buying the dedicated lead will supersede you having to do that and it took me ages to figure that one out.

Also on the focus does you CD slot light up on sync 2 or 3.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:08 PM, Steevo25 said:

Just one more quick question before I go ahead with this. 

I have managed to download an AsBuilt file for a car that is virtually exactly the same as mine but a couple of years younger and has Sync 3 instead of Sync 1. 

There is only one file with a .ab extension. This seems to contain data for multiple modules. I am assuming that when I open APIM as built in ForScan and load this file, it will only pull in the data from that file for the APIM and not every module. So if I backup my APIM config before doing this, then I can revert back. 

When you download the as built file it has the details for all the modules on the car. Note that one of our members didn't have to do any programming on the Kuga when upgrading from sync 1 to sync 2 and everything worked. It didn't for me. The as built files can sometimes not be an exact match for your car and system but everything can be made to work with programming. I believe there is currently an issue with climate on sync 3 in that when you adjust the drivers side it adjusts the passenger side and vice versa. I can't remember exactly as it didn't concern me with upgrading to sync 2. 

In addition to taking a back up of you current settings it is an idea to also download the as built file for your own car AND take a picture/screen shot of everything before you alter anything. I didn't lol.

In module configuration / APIM whatever you load and then write only writes to the APIM from the as built file.

Also for anyone who is interested I proved on my car that you don't need to install a sync 2 or sync 3 ACM (CD Player). I re-programmed my sync 1 ACM and bluetooth and park pilot worked fine.

Do you have DAB on the Focus. 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, mullett said:

can anyone let me know where to get a sync 3 screen from I've spent a lot of time looking ie Ebay ,focus city,etc etc and having no luck at all got all the other bits harness etc just the screen is all I need to complete this ruddy upgrade lol thanks guys 

Make sure you get both screen and APIM. There are some sellers on eBay who are selling these separately. They shouldn't really be split. A sync 3 screen will not fit a sync 2 apim so but the complete unit as link above.

Anyone know if i can buy the whole set anywhere? 

Does it work upgrading this sync model?

20210121_160935_compress8.jpg

5 minutes ago, mullett said:

@JPW

hey James is there anything missing of this looks different to others ?

thanks for the reply too @smartguy69 

s-l64.jpg

Looks correct to me, of course you'll need the front facia and bracket...

1 hour ago, ZeMarty said:

Anyone know if i can buy the whole set anywhere? 

Does it work upgrading this sync model?

20210121_160935_compress8.jpg

I would say so, definitely SYNC 1...

1 minute ago, JPW said:

yes sir already got that ...+a full sync 2 system with all the bits except the USB Hub so if anyone wants that come to Blackpool and have it with pleasure thanks guys honestly 

11 minutes ago, JPW said:

thank you @JPW just bought it m8 delivery jan 28th will let you know how I get on it also says may need recoding is that easy to do ?

2 hours ago, JPW said:

I would say so, definitely SYNC 1...

Thanks mate. Is it possible to upgrade these to a sync 3? That much information out there just not sure what's what. 

Yes, this is entirely possible and not that difficult. There's a number of how-to's on this forum...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club