Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Just a note for anyone who is upgrading to sync 2 from sync 1

There are two types of media hub available for the Focus. One has an 8 pin connector and the other 4 pins. Make sure you buy the 4 pin connector type as it is virtually impossible to find a plug for 8 pin connector. You could use jumper wires to make it work and JST 2.54mm pitch pins may fit. However if you go for the hub with 4 pins the sync 3 upgrade connector fits. You will lose the aux port.

Part Number is GC3T-14F014-AB

s-l1600 (2).jpg

2108678062_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.8d9f8043a4fcfd9433463f27dcf5df2b.jpg

Just a very quick question relating to the wiring diagram that maybe someone can answer.

For the Datalink+ and Datalink-, could you just connect pins 6 & 19 of the ACM accessory connector to Sync pins 51 & 52 (or FCDIM 6 & 12 instead of moving the pins from the main connector)?

Also, for MM-CAN, can't this be connected to the Sync connector pins 19 & 20 instead of tapping in to the HVAC circuit?

@Steevo25I believe you need the data link between all parts, as this passes the sat nav and info between all components.

It gets a little confusing, but you need MM-CAN, MS-CAN and HS-CAN for SYNC 2/3.

MM-CAN (pin 19 and 20 on SYNC 2/3 connector):

If you have/had SYNC 1 originally, move pins 16 (grey/orange wire) and 17 (violet/orange wire) to 19 and 20 for SYNC 2/3.

MS-CAN (pin 16 and 17 on SYNC 2/3 connector):

This never existed in the original SYNC 1 connector hence why you need to tap in to the HVAC or another place where MS-CAN exists.

HS-CAN (pin 53 and 54 on SYNC 2/3 connector):

53 and 54 from the original SYNC 1 connector - no change to SYNC 2/3

Thanks for the info. The reason I ask is that I am building a harness. I have managed to get a handful of the correct female connectors for the the fascia display, ACM accessory connector and the old FCDIM screen. I have also managed to 3D print the male side of those connectors and DuPont male pins work.

I am trying to install it all without cutting, splicing or moving wires so that I can keep everything as it is in case I ever needed to go back. I am using the amazon Sync harness so all 54 pins are connected so I can basically connect anything to any pin. 

The Datalink for Sync is connected via the old FCDIM connector so I don't see any reason I cannot tap in to those wires for the ACM accessory connector as well. I just wanted to find a source of MM-CAN without going in to any other wires. The only connectors I am hoping to have in the harness are Old Sync1 Connector , New Sync 3 Connector, Fascia Connector, Old FCDIM Connector and ACM accessory connector.

Actually yes, as the old FCDIM connector will not be used, you could just use those for the data link to ACM accessory.

It is MS-CAN you need to find, not MM-CAN. MM-CAN already existed in SYNC 1 so you just re-pin as above - no problem.

For MS-CAN, this doesn't exist anywhere on SYNC 1, so there is nowhere to re-pin from and it must be spliced from either the HVAC, OBD2, C23B in-line connector (passenger footwell) or the BCM. 

I would choose the OBD2 port (drivers side) as that is easy to access and splice in to. Then just run the two wires across to the screen.

All CAN bus connections are present in the OBD2 port, MM, MS and HS:

OBDII.png.413ba30cb96ea85574f0961710a378

Here are the closest locations where MS-CAN exists (DEATC is the HVAC)

image.thumb.png.cec61146fdb8fdd48364d70ecb68f58f.png

As you don't have SYNC 2, you can't get it from the SYNC 2 APIM or GPS module as these don't exist in your car.

The only reason I mention it is that a friend of mine upgraded in his 2013 Focus. He purchased a pre-made harness from the US. The harness only uses the connectors mentioned above but the system seems to work perfectly. The only difference between his car and mine is that he has manual aircon whereas I have dual digital climate. 

Be worth trying to find which harness he purchased...

It could be that the harness had a female plug which the HVAC connector plugged in to, and it tapped out of this for the MS-CAN?

There is definitely no factory connector where MS-CAN is present on the original SYNC 1 components (APIM, FCIM, FCDIM, ACM), it never used / needed MS-CAN at all 🙂

You 100% need MS-CAN for SYNC 3 to function however.

I think I will just tap in to the HVAC wires. After all, it isn't cutting them or moving them so can easily be disconnected if I ever went back. Otherwise it means obtaining another plug for the climate connector and designing another 3D printed part which is a pain.

2 hours ago, Steevo25 said:

Just a very quick question relating to the wiring diagram that maybe someone can answer.

For the Datalink+ and Datalink-, could you just connect pins 6 & 19 of the ACM accessory connector to Sync pins 51 & 52 (or FCDIM 6 & 12 instead of moving the pins from the main connector)?

Also, for MM-CAN, can't this be connected to the Sync connector pins 19 & 20 instead of tapping in to the HVAC circuit?

On my Kuga I didn't wire in pins 51 & 52. I didn't have any wires in the FCDIM pins 6 and 12 as this was for sync 1 rear camera which mine didn't have. On sync 2 and 3 the rear camera is controlled by the APIM pins 14 and 15.

As far as I know pins 51 and 52 are for the Sirius radio used in the USA. I have sync 2 with DAB and navigation and everything works fine. I didn't swap any wires on the ACM and if i remember correctly mine didn't have any wires in ACM Main 4 and 5 to swap over to pins 16 and 19 ACM Accessory.

The MS Can on the kuga is taken from the GPSM module which is situated above the instrument cluster. Not sure if you have that on the focus. If it shows N, S, E, W in your instrument cluster then you have a GPSM module on board but possibly easier to connect to your HVAC or BCM.

@JPW- If the car doesn't have a rear camera then chances are pins 6 and 12 will not be wired in the plug so therefore you can't make the connection to pins 51 and 52 on the APIM. Also although the old FCDIM plug isn't used, four of the wires that go to that plug are required. 

Pins 7 & 10 FCDIM go to APIM 46 and 47 for the steering wheel controls 

Pins 4 & 5 FCDIM go to radio button panel 7 & 4 respectively

The dedicated harness that can be purchased from the USA and China for the Focus is a fully made up lead that plugs into the old harness for sync1 APIM, FCIM (button panel),FCDIM, ACM and media hub. It has two sets of two wires without a connector which must be for connection to the MS-CAN and GPSM module. It is for sync 3 and not sync 2 although it could be easily adapted.

Many thanks for all the info. I had assumed that pins 6 and 12 on the old FCDIM connector were for TMC data. The only wiring diagram I can find for the FCDIM doesn't show pins 6 & 12 (it doesn't show pins 2 or 3 either). It was only that it was mentioned on here that this transmits traffic alerts.

Ok, some info. I hope this is correct and if so of use to other people. 

Pins 6 & 12 on the FCDIM connector, definitely seem to be the reversing camera that is a mirror of the Fakra connector. At least that's what all the wiring diagrams seem to show.

Also, the wiring diagrams show that pins 51 & 52 of the Sync 2/3 connector should connect to pins 16 & 19 of the 26pin ACM accessory connector. Depending whether you are upgrading from Sync 1 or BVC, the function of the ACM main connector pins 4 & 5 are different. Nav Audio Out or Audio Line Out. Safest option is connecting Sync connector pins 51 and 52 directly to the 26 pin ACM connector pins 16 and 19. 

Not sure what is transmitted or received from pins 51 & 52 but it is a Datalink SDA connection. 

I don't have anything connected to pins 51 and 52. Pretty sure it's for satellite radio in the USA which we dont have here. I would have thought Focus would be same as Kuga seeing as I tested mine with a Focus cd player. I took it out as I couldn't get bluetooth to work but that was down to programming. I still get voice instructions on satnav.

Pins 2 and 3 are missing on the FCDIM connector.

Pic below is from the F-150 forum

12 pin FCDIM.jpg

This is from the Ford Focus MK3 Wiring Diagram. Official Ford Workshop manual.

image.thumb.png.fa1431684235bb839d38283789ff2d1a.png

image.thumb.png.c5451d81770c37a592399aa42452a4ac.png

Basically,

Pin 1 - Power
Pin 2 - N/A
Pin 3 - N/A
Pin 4 - MM_CAN+
Pin 5 - MM_CAN-
Pin 6 - Audio Line Out+
Pin 7 - Remote Sig (Steering Controls)
Pin 8 - LIN
Pin 9 - GND
Pin 10 - Remote Set (Steering Controls)
Pin 11 - GND
Pin 12 - Audio Line Out-

According to other information, if you do not connect Datalink to the ACM, you won't get traffic warnings (TMC). Everything will work fine and NAV will be ok, but you won't get any traffic notifications. For example, sometimes when I am driving I get an announcement like 'A402 Slow Moving Traffic 5 miles ahead'. Without the Datalink connected you apparently won't get this. I have not finished the Sync install yet so I cannot confirm if that is true.

• Like 1

On my 2012 Focus (It was BT/VC not SYNC 1), FCDIM pin 6 and 12 is actually for the sat nav voice to work and went between the FCDIM and RADIO (ACM).

Without it, nav worked but was silent, no audible voice / instructions for the journey (turn right etc)

My factory reverse camera was a fakra plug straight in to the back on the APIM. The F-150 has different wiring for sure 🙂

image.thumb.png.af41bbecb75ef423801611f0f6661642.png

SYNC 1 I think was the same as it still had the FCDIM whereas SYNC 2/3 didn't.

It's very confusing between SDL / Data-link / TMC / Nav audio! Seem's to be various guides out there that describe each differently.

I think I will probably swap the 2 pins across just in case from the ACM main connector to the ACM accessory connector.

I am also going to connect up pins 51 and 52 just in case.

But there doesn't seem much point connecting pins 51 and 52 of the Sync connector to FCDIM pins 6 and 12 as they just seem to connect to the ACM accessory connector pins 6 and 19 so not Datalink.

13 hours ago, JPW said:

On my 2012 Focus (It was BT/VC not SYNC 1), FCDIM pin 6 and 12 is actually for the sat nav voice to work and went between the FCDIM and RADIO (ACM).

Without it, nav worked but was silent, no audible voice / instructions for the journey (turn right etc)

My factory reverse camera was a fakra plug straight in to the back on the APIM. The F-150 has different wiring for sure 🙂

image.thumb.png.af41bbecb75ef423801611f0f6661642.png

SYNC 1 I think was the same as it still had the FCDIM whereas SYNC 2/3 didn't.

It's very confusing between SDL / Data-link / TMC / Nav audio! Seem's to be various guides out there that describe each differently.

The FCDIM on the F-150 is identical to my Kuga which should be identical to the focus. However looking at the wiring diagram and description for the mk3 focus it could be questionable about pins 6 and 12 as they would appear to be the same as your non sync car as they are listed as audio +/-. 

I will check if my TMC works. I tend to have it switched off as if I remember correctly it increases the audion when there is a traffic message which I find annoying lol. I definitely have navigation audio. 

Pins 6 & 19 on the accessory connector cannot be both Datalink and Audio In. They are definitely Datalink according to the wiring diagrams for Sync2/3 and the on a non-sync, Pins 4 & 5 on the main connector definitely go to the FCDIM as audio out. Not sure about Sync1. The wiring diagrams I have and have seen on the web, show wiring for BVC and then Sync2 and Sync3. I have found a block diagram for Sync1 but it doesn't show those pins. But it seems that on Sync2/3 the audio out isn't used and it does things a little differently.

Either that or an american market car is wired slightly differently to a UK spec car. All the wiring diagrams I have are US orientated and just show differences for the EU market, but are mainly tailored for US. It could even be the case that Datalink is used in the US as stated above and in the UK, those pins are used for audio in.

I guess it will be trial and error. I am wiring them up as per the wiring diagram initially and assume it's Datalink. If I get any issues then I will remove the Datalink and swap the wires across instead.

@Steevo25 Attached is what I have for SYNC1 - IAM Main, IAM Accessory and APIM

Pins 6 and 19 on the IAM Accessory were not present on my 2012 car so I spliced in to 4 and 5 from IAM Main. Therefore, I have the signal present in both IAM Main 4 and 5 and IAM Accessory 6 and 19.

SYNC APIM.pdf SYNC Audio Unit 2.pdf SYNC Audio Unit.pdf

Ok, so curiosity got the better of me so I paid a small amount and got access to the wiring diagrams on Ford ETIS using my VIN and also the VIN of the donor car that I got my Sync3 components from.

The Nav Audio Out/In is only applicable if you had BVC. If you have Sync Gen 1, those connections do not seem to exist so it must handle it differently. On Sync 2/3 pins 6 & 19 on the ACM are definitely Datalink. Ford label it as Datalink/HS_CAN. They show it connected to the APIM module. They show 2 connections on 2 different wiring diagrams. The first pins 16 & 19 connect to pins 51 & 52 on the APIM and the other wiring diagram, they show pins 6 & 19 going to pins 53 & 54 on the APIM for Sync2/3. No idea why there are 2 versions. But Sync1 wiring is slightly different to BVC wiring. A lot more wiring changes if you are upgrading from BVC.

Good to know. Indeed, I undertook the BVC to SYNC 3 rewire as per the below link and wrote the how-to, so it does appear SYNC 1 was slightly different!

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/113129-how-to-focus-mk3-2011-2012-2013-btvc-non-sync-to-sync-3/

Just for completeness. For Sync 2/3.

APIM Pins 51 & 52 --> ACM Pins 6 & 19 US Only

APIM Pins 53 & 54 --> ACM Pins 6 & 19 Russia Only

European models, Pins 6 & 19 Unused.

hey guys I have the harness and also bought the sync 3 screen and can't seem to get anything working  if anyone is willing to do this I would be very happy to pay for the troubles thanks guys 

@mullett what isn't working? What harness and screen have you got? Do you have BVC or SYNC 1?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, JPW said:

@mullett what isn't working? What harness and screen have you got? Do you have BVC or SYNC 1?

Thanks

sync 1 buddy 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club