Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

@Arismfg I think I know why your Sync1 unit was crashing on station lists.

If you look at APIM AsBuilt 7D0-08-02 xxxx xx*x xxxx you can set the number of presets.

0 = 6 presets
4 = 9 presets
8 = 5 presets
C = 10 presets

Have a check to see what it is. On mine, the APIM is set to 10 presets.

Looking at the US ACMs, there is a setting in the ACM that configures the number of presets. The default for Sync1 is 6 presets whereas for a Sync2/3 ACM it is 10 presets.

If that's the case then it is probably trying to put 10 presets in the space for 6 presets so probably why your Sync1 unit was crashing. I have just had to change my APIM to 0 which seems to have fixed the problem.

1 hour ago, Steevo25 said:

@Arismfg I think I know why your Sync1 unit was crashing on station lists.

If you look at APIM AsBuilt 7D0-08-02 xxxx xx*x xxxx you can set the number of presets.

0 = 6 presets
4 = 9 presets
8 = 5 presets
C = 10 presets

Have a check to see what it is. On mine, the APIM is set to 10 presets.

Looking at the US ACMs, there is a setting in the ACM that configures the number of presets. The default for Sync1 is 6 presets whereas for a Sync2/3 ACM it is 10 presets.

If that's the case then it is probably trying to put 10 presets in the space for 6 presets so probably why your Sync1 unit was crashing. I have just had to change my APIM to 0 which seems to have fixed the problem.

Oh thanks for info and interesting find! It could be that. Because it was loading a number of stations on the list (could be 6 or less but do not remember) and then it was crashing when pressing station list again trying to show more stations. But could this probably causing ACM to reset too because CD was loading at the same time? In fact, I have no idea what this setting was because there was no sync on my car anyway despite the sync 1 ACM (B5M).

Have no idea if I can access ACM programming. Have never tried. Ican itself could be enough to load ACM diagnostics or need to connect ACM accessory 6 and 19 to HScan too?

However, someone told me that all EU focus ACM are preset to 6 for sync 2 and sync 3.

On my Sync1 ACM, there is NO AsBuilt in the Forscan screen. But on my Sync3 ACM I have an AsBuilt but it only gives access to a four digit HEX value.

acmasbuilt.png.3c8e12236b32fa7c253c94e5a9f60fcd.png

Now I have my Sync1 ACM installed, all my sound has returned to normal and all DTCs have cleared. My presets were set to 10 on the APIM. My ACM didn't crash but it was very sluggish. I changed it to 6 and everything went to normal. May have just been a coincidence.

But ACMs are configured differently. Whether they can be re-programmed or not I don't know, but they are set with specific programming at the factory that matches the car they are going in to. So if you have a 6 speaker system, you ideally need to get an ACM from a 6 speaker donor car and then change all your BCM settings to match (if they are not correct already).

dtcscreen1.thumb.png.b7e2513c9cc259e159ae60f90d8ad7b6.png

dtcscreen2.thumb.png.50bf3b43c2a9204c4c2bd73fdef08c92.png

20210208_153714_resized.thumb.jpg.e929886327bbfb5c3d4eee5431560766.jpg

That is basically everything now for me. I have tested everything I can and all features seem to work. Obviously I just have to use it now and see if any issues transpire. My next step is to upgrade to V3.4 on the APIM. I think I will wait for the snow to stop before I go out and do an hour or so upgrading of software with the engine running.

I am now making a little HVAC CAN converter so the climate controls function as they should on the APIM. I am using a Teensy processor to intercept the MS-CAN signals to the APIM and convert the HVAC messages.

I did a quick CAN bus log and what is happening is that the climate system was only ever designed for LHD cars. Ford were being very lazy. So when you tell the system you have a right hand drive car, all it does is reverse the messages on the climate (i.e. when you change the driver side it send a message saying it was the passenger side). Unfortunately, the APIM has no concept of LHD or RHD cars so the climate controls are all reversed. My little CAN interpreter will trap the messages before they go to/from the APIM and reverse the messages for driver and passenger. This will make the APIM climate functions work correctly. I will keep you updated.

Also, I had a bit of a surprise find when I installed my Sync1 ACM. I found a Blue Fakra connector at the back of the loom. This turned out to be from my antenna on the roof. I wasn't aware it was there so I had no need to install a GPS under the dash. I connected it and it works perfectly.

Just now, Steevo25

Just a bit of terminology clarification. 

When you say Sony Sync 1 ACM, do you mean a Sync 1 system with the Sony audio panel. Or do you mean a Sync 1 system with the external DSP system?

The former is not the Sony system as such, it is purely a standard ACM with a branded Sony front panel and upgraded speakers. 

The Sony system has the separate, external DSP system (fitted in the boot I believe but never seen one).

They are different systems and the ACMs are configured vastly differently. The difference would be major exchanging one for the other. On the true Sony system, the ACM is basically a dumb device that just outputs audio to the DSP AMP. The DSP processor does all the work. 

As far as ACMs go outside of the Sony system, I am lead to believe that any ACM from about mid to late 2013 right up until about 2019 are all the same except they are coded slightly differently depending on the car configuration they are being fitted in to. It's the case of getting an ACM that is the same configuration as the audio layout of your car, or getting the current ACM coded to match what you need. 

Hey!

it was a sync 1 with a Sony audio panel from what I remember, nothing in the boot. Just a bit annoying that when swapping to the sync 2 acm the sound isn’t as ‘full’ or ‘deep’ as it used to be.

just going to bite the bullet and by the original acm, I’ve got pictures of when I listed it on eBay.. so will use the model and number on the side to find a match.

Just now, Steevo25

On my Sync1 ACM, there is NO AsBuilt in the Forscan screen. But on my Sync3 ACM I have an AsBuilt but it only gives access to a four digit HEX value.

acmasbuilt.png.3c8e12236b32fa7c253c94e5a9f60fcd.png

Now I have my Sync1 ACM installed, all my sound has returned to normal and all DTCs have cleared. My presets were set to 10 on the APIM. My ACM didn't crash but it was very sluggish. I changed it to 6 and everything went to normal. May have just been a coincidence.

But ACMs are configured differently. Whether they can be re-programmed or not I don't know, but they are set with specific programming at the factory that matches the car they are going in to. So if you have a 6 speaker system, you ideally need to get an ACM from a 6 speaker donor car and then change all your BCM settings to match (if they are not correct already).

dtcscreen1.thumb.png.b7e2513c9cc259e159ae60f90d8ad7b6.png

dtcscreen2.thumb.png.50bf3b43c2a9204c4c2bd73fdef08c92.png

20210208_153714_resized.thumb.jpg.e929886327bbfb5c3d4eee5431560766.jpg

That is basically everything now for me. I have tested everything I can and all features seem to work. Obviously I just have to use it now and see if any issues transpire. My next step is to upgrade to V3.4 on the APIM. I think I will wait for the snow to stop before I go out and do an hour or so upgrading of software with the engine running.

I am now making a little HVAC CAN converter so the climate controls function as they should on the APIM. I am using a Teensy processor to intercept the MS-CAN signals to the APIM and convert the HVAC messages.

I did a quick CAN bus log and what is happening is that the climate system was only ever designed for LHD cars. Ford were being very lazy. So when you tell the system you have a right hand drive car, all it does is reverse the messages on the climate (i.e. when you change the driver side it send a message saying it was the passenger side). Unfortunately, the APIM has no concept of LHD or RHD cars so the climate controls are all reversed. My little CAN interpreter will trap the messages before they go to/from the APIM and reverse the messages for driver and passenger. This will make the APIM climate functions work correctly. I will keep you updated.

Also, I had a bit of a surprise find when I installed my Sync1 ACM. I found a Blue Fakra connector at the back of the loom. This turned out to be from my antenna on the roof. I wasn't aware it was there so I had no need to install a GPS under the dash. I connected it and it works perfectly.

Side note, where did you get the US style Facia from? Kinda missing my central locking button and just wondering how much you paid and where you sourced the Sony Facia from?

as a temp solution, I ended up wiring the central locking pins to the blank button next to traction control and making it push able. Believe it or not, it’s actually not a blank button... you just need to file down two plastic stoppers and it’s a fully working button :)

For the US panel, you need to go to the US eBay site and do a search on part BM51-18835-DAW. Alternatively, just search for that part number in Google as there may be other places. Make sure you check out the condition of the part using the pictures and asking questions as it will be very expensive to send it back. 

They don't work out cheap. The panel was about £70 but you will pay almost as much again on delivery and import duty charges.

They fit and work perfectly but the 8way connector that you have on your current panel will fit fine but the US panel has an additional 6pin connector as well that you have to splice in to wires on the 8way panel connector.

The 6pin connector you can get on eBay by buying a GPSM module with a pigtail. It's the same connector and you can pick up a GPSM module with a pigtail for £10. Part number DE8T-19H463-DC. Alternatively, ask the seller of the panel if they can supply a pigtail for it. 

The 6pin connector splices in to the following wires on your current 8pin panel connector. 

1 to 2

2 to 6

3 to 5

4 to 1

5 to 3

6 unconnected 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, Steevo25 said:

I would appreciate any recommendations for a quality GPS antenna that is known to work properly on Sync 3 without errors.

Apologies Steevo25 I only pop in here every now and then and for some reason I don't get an email or notification when someone adds to this thread. Not sure if you can set that up or not. I see you have got it sorted. All I knew was it was for the renault megane.

Our moderator is currently trying to install an OEM camera to his Kuga. Not sorted it yet. I have a wiring diagram which shows as it having a module but my understanding was that sync 2 and 3 doesn't have one and is controlled by the APIM. 

Sync 2 OEM camera.png

On 2/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, Arismfg said:

For anyone who wants to use a sync 1 ACM for sync 2 or 3.

Mine worked 100% and my sync 1 had 10 presets and my sync 2 has 6 presets.

Mine is set for 9 Speakers using Focccus.

You have to alter settings on ACM to tell it that it has now an 8" screen and not 4" screen. Check the following:

The very first line, very first box in the as-built of the ACM.

727-01-01 Xxxx xxxx xxxx

Have to make sure hex 4 is not enabled.
If you have a F, make it a B
If you have an E, make it an A
If you have a D, make it a 9
If you have a C, make it an 8
If you have a 6, make it a 2
If you have a 5, make it a 1
If you have a 4, make it a 0

The change choices in bold are most commonly seen... if you don't have one of the values listed above, then hex 4 is already disabled on your ACM.

This change tells the ACM which type of APIM you have. So now it knows you have the 8" Touch Screen APIM version versus the older non-touch 4" screen version.

Make sure you keep back up of what you have already.

I haven't seen this link posted anywhere so may be a help to you guys.

https://cyanlabs.net/ford-apim-asbuilt-db/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/edit#gid=1479139836

The second link is based on the F-150 but many of the settings are the same.

Adding an OEM camera can be a minefield. It is true that Sync2/3 do not use the IPM. But this is where it gets complicated. You cannot just take any OEM camera and then bypass the IPM and go straight to the APIM. The IPM was ceased at the start of 2014. I can only verify this for a Focus, it may have been different for other Ford cars.

When the IPM was taken out, the OEM camera changed as well. Before, the camera used to pass the image to the IPM, and then the IPM would talk to the BCM and add the dynamic guide lines etc. This would then be passed to the camera input.

With the new way, the camera communicates directly with the BCM and adds the guidelines based on the information it gets back (steering angle etc). The camera then communicates directly with the APIM.

So the cameras are completely different. I fell in to this trap. Eventually I gave up and went the aftermarket route after trying about 3 different OEM cameras.

Regarding the ACM. This only seems to work on US ACMs. The European ACMs, do not provide access to an AsBuilt (at least Forscan doesn't anyway). If you look at my post above, I posted a photo of the AsBuilt for a Sync2/3 ACM which only presents a 4 digit HEX number not the entire 727 scope that US ACMs present. Also, my Sync1 ACM doesn't have any AsBuilt at all. It is not even listed in Forscan, only DTCs. This is for the Focus at least. Maybe there are ACMs for other models that do present the whole AsBuilt.

If you download an AsBuilt config from Ford at least for a Focus anyway, you will find it does not contain an AsBuilt for the ACM.

Not sure what it means by make sure HEX 4 is not enabled?

I think the idea around this (from what I understand from the limited information on the web) was that a basic car audio configuration was put on the ACM at the factory and then other minor changes would be read from the central configuration. But the basics must stay the same otherwise the ACM throws a DTC.

As I say, it might be very different for the Kuga.

So, what OEM camera would an MK3 with retrofitted sync 3 use? MK3.5 camera which connects directly to APIM 14 and 15 fits MK3? What is the part number for it?

On my 2012 MK3 I originally had an OEM reverse camera and rear parking sensors that showed up on the small 5" FCDIM with the curved guide lines that move as you turn the steering wheel and also the green/amber/red blocks that show you the distance you are to an object near the rear parking sensors. I believe being from 2012 the OEM camera is via a module near the boot (is this the IPM you refer to?).

When I upgraded to SYNC 3, the reverse camera still showed up on the screen as well as the coloured distance blocks based on the parking sensors, but I lost the curved lines when turning the wheel. Not too much of a problem for me as I didn't rely on them to get in a tight spot, but would be nice to know if that's still possible with the module based camera I have.

Arismfg, it depends, as the new MK3.5 camera which doesn't require a module goes straight to the BCM and then APIM, so it depends if your BCM will be able to handle it. As you have a 2011 BCM I suspect possibly not as it did not know anything about the reverse camera and you should probably retrofit an MK3 pre-facelift camera from a car before 2014 which comes with the module.

My car was built at the changeover time. It didn't come with a reverse camera, but is configured like a MK3.5. I had the green 4 pin Fakra at the old APIM so it didn't need an IPM. I tried 3 different OEM cameras on mine and couldn't get any of them to work. There is a specific part number for mine but so far not been able to get it except for brand new from Ford. This was very expensive (around £300).

In the end I went the aftermarket route with the number plate light/boot handle mounted camera. It works great. The only difference between that and the OEM camera is that I only get fixed guidelines rather than dynamic guidelines, and I don't get a zoom function. 

But if you go the aftermarket route it is completely independent to the car so will work no matter what you change. When I compare the quality to one of my neighbours Focus who had the camera as factory fit, it's the same image quality. The cost was £40. 

2 hours ago, JPW said:

Arismfg, it depends, as the new MK3.5 camera which doesn't require a module goes straight to the BCM and then APIM, so it depends if your BCM will be able to handle it. As you have a 2011 BCM I suspect possibly not as it did not know anything about the reverse camera and you should probably retrofit an MK3 pre-facelift camera from a car before 2014 which comes with the module.

Not so simple really, because MK3 camera communicates with IPM and not to Sync 3 directly.

Not if you get a late MK3 camera. Focus built from 13th January 2014 did not use an IPM (still a MK3), they went straight to the APIM and communicated directly with the BCM. The only issue on pre-2014 cars is whether the BCM would support that. But the camera is a specific part number that was only used for a year until the MK3.5 came out. Very difficult to get other than direct from Ford and then very expensive.

Part Number 1867913.

Personally, I would stay away from trying to fit an OEM camera to a Focus which didn't have one. Unless you want to throw loads of money at it in experimenting until you get a camera combination that works.

Or get an aftermarket which fits RCA connector of harness

Could someone help me with those DTCs?

===ACM DTC U2101:00-2F===
Code: U2101 - Control Module Configuration Incompatible

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Audio Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 311645500 s - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 50896.0 km - Total Distance
-MAINECUV: 12.00 V - Main ECU voltage supply
-INCARTMP: 23 °C - In car temperature
===END ACM DTC U2101:00-2F===

===IPC DTC U3000:00-2F===
Code: U3000 - Control Module

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 311645508 s - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 50896.0 km - Total Distance
-MAINECUV: 12.00 V - Main ECU voltage supply
-INCARTMP: 23 °C - In car temperature
-OUTTMP: 23 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
===END IPC DTC U3000:00-2F===

ACM asbuilt has only one block. IPC more. It must be my new sync 3 ACM is DAB while original was not. Which option in CCC is to enable DAB?

IMG_20210209_171525_376.jpg

IMG_20210209_171516_034.jpg

Ok, the ACM error is exactly as per the few posts above. 

You need to set your settings exactly as per the donor car the ACM came out of. If you have the VIN of the donor car you can download the AsBuilt and load it in to Focccus to see what the settings of the donor car are offline. This is done in central configuration. 

You cannot change the ACM. It is configured for the donor car it came out of with regards to number of Speakers etc. 

What is the audio setup in your car (number of Speakers, centre speaker etc). 

I have no idea on the IPC error. 

24 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Ok, the ACM error is exactly as per the few posts above. 

You need to set your settings exactly as per the donor car the ACM came out of. If you have the VIN of the donor car you can download the AsBuilt and load it in to Focccus to see what the settings of the donor car are offline. This is done in central configuration. 

You cannot change the ACM. It is configured for the donor car it came out of with regards to number of speakers etc. 

What is the audio setup in your car (number of speakers, centre speaker etc). 

I have no idea on the IPC error. 

The donor car was a focus 2018 ST with DAB and 6 Speakers. Mine has 6 Speakers so need to enable DAB in CCC because original ACM did not have DAB. What number is DAB option in CCC? However, there is no DAB in my country. I hope fm still works.

Regarding new IPC, I hope it only needs a calibration files reflash because it cannot read IPC part number too. This is a new but used IPC.

Unfortunately, you will have to make your settings to say 'With DAB' as that's what the donor car had. You have to configure your central configuration audio settings exactly as the donor car otherwise that DTC won't clear. 

The settings below you need to change but as per the donor car, not your actual car. 

73 - Loudspeaker quantities change to either 6 or 9 depending what the donor car had
112 - In car Entertainment change to 14 (3000nt series ice pack) for 9 Speakers or 04 (High Level CD and AM/FM Radio) if the donor car had 6 Speakers
120 - Centre speaker change to 01 (without) for 6 speaker system or 02 (centre speaker small) if the donor car had the 9 speaker system
123 – Audio Aux Input change the value to 01 (without)

125 – DAB Radio System change the value to 02 (with) or change to 01 (without) depending what the donor car had
154 – Module USB change the value to 01 (without)
157 – bluetooth Handsfree change the value to 01 (without)
172 – Front Display change the value to 09 (DM8 with nav)
214 – ICP change the value to 09 (Unknown) if you use the MK3.5 panel or 08 (Branded ICP/Mini EFP) if you have the Sony US Panel.

@JPW I don't suppose you have the AsBuilt from your ACM in Forscan. It seems that the 6-speaker systems have a hex code of 0030. Your ACM came from a 9-speaker system so I just wondered if the AsBuilt 4 digit HEX code was different. 

It could be as simple as changing that code to change the ACM from one type to another. 

I'll dig my elm cable out tomorrow and see what my current settings are.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club