Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

On 3/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

bought the gps module that you recommended and I saw that the 2 wires that must be put on pins 16 and 17 correspond with the indicated colors. Then I would like to know where the other 2 wires of the module should be connected? Then I would like to know the dab (the black plug), id the fm (pink plug), how and where should they be connected to the sync 2?Thanks for your help 

I assume you are trying to upgrade to sync 3 as you do not need a gps module for sync 2 as the Kuga already has one and is behind the dashboard clocks.

Focccus can be used on Kuga also.

53 minutes ago, smartguy69 said:

Immagino che tu stia cercando di aggiornarti alla sincronia 3 perché non hai bisogno di un modulo gps per la sincronia 2 come il Kuga ne ha già uno ed è dietro gli orologi del cruscotto.

Focccus può essere utilizzato anche su Kuga.

no, I'm going from 1 to 2. I was told in the forum that sync 1 and 3 have the integrated gpsm module and therefore only need a gps antenna. While the sync 2 does not have the integrated gpsm module and therefore you have to add it ... is that correct? 

Sync 1 and 3 have the GPS function built in to the APIM/Display (not a separate module)  That is why, if upgrading from 1 to 2, you need to wire in this GPS module because your car does not already have it 🙂

• Thanks 1

I am not a Kuga person, I did this on a Focus. But I have just looked at the Kuga wiring diagram and it shows the following for the GPSM module (only required for Sync2. Sync1 and Sync3 have a dedicated GPS antenna and do not use the module). I have no idea where the GPSM module is fitted in a Kuga, but this is the wiring for it:

Pin1 BU-RD -> BCM PIN41 on connector C214 (Fuse 67 on BCM)
Pin6 BK-WH -> GND
Pin2 GY-OG -> MS-CAN+
Pin3 VT-OG -> MS-CAN-

(You can connect the MS-CAN to any MS-CAN in the car).

• Thanks 1

56 minuti fa, JPW ha detto:

Sync 1 e 3 hanno la funzione GPS costruita all'APIM/Display (non un modulo separato), ecco perché, se l'ammodernamento da 1 a 2, è necessario attivare in questo modulo GPS perché la vostra auto non ce l'ha già🙂

ok, so can i install the gpsm module any position i want in the dashboard? do not I also need a gps antenna to connect? instead the black plug of the dab antenna, the pink plug of the fm antenna coming out of my original sync 1 dashboard where should they be connected? 

If it is like the Focus, the GPSM module fits behind the rear view mirror. Not sure on the Kuga. I guess it could go behind the dash but it will need a view of the sky (not concealed by metal).

The antenna plugs should be black and white. The pink is a passthru as far as I know. Black is DAB and white is Analogue (FM/AM). Pink is not used on Sync2. 

The GPSM module IS the GPS antenna but on Sync2 It connects over MS-CAN whereas on Sync1 and Sync3 the antenna is a physical Fakra connector. 

• Thanks 1

Kuga is behind the dash (instrument panel) I think, but it doesn't really matter if you're retrofitting it as long as it can get GPS signal.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JPW said:

Kuga è dietro il cruscotto (pannello degli strumenti) credo, ma non importa se lo stai ripristinando finché può ottenere il segnale GPS.

Perfect. So the plugs of the DAB, ANTENNA and FM where and how should I connect them? 

20 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Se è come il Focus, il modulo GPSM si inserisce dietro lo specchio della vista posteriore. Non sicuro sul Kuga. Credo che potrebbe andare dietro il cruscotto ma avrà bisogno di una vista sul cielo (non nascosta dal metallo).

Le tappe dell'antenna dovrebbero essere in bianco e nero. Il rosa è un passthru per quanto ne so. Il nero è DAB e il bianco è analogo (FM/AM). Il rosa non viene usato su Sync2.

Il modulo GPSM è l'antenna GPS ma su Sync2 si collega su MS-CAN mentre su Sync1 e Sync3 l'antenna è un connettore fisico Fakra.

So the plugs of the DAB, FM and ANTENNA where and how should I connect them? 

The Sync2 system consists of 3 components. The APIM, screen and ACM (radio). The radio is the big metal box. The screen and APIM are joined together. 

On the back of the ACM, you will see two antenna connectors. One is black and one is white. Here is where the antennas connect. 

If you did not have DAB before, there may not be a DAB antenna in the car. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

The Sync2 system consists of 3 components. The APIM, screen and ACM (radio). The radio is the big metal box. The screen and APIM are joined together. 

On the back of the ACM, you will see two antenna connectors. One is black and one is white. Here is where the antennas connect. 

If you did not have DAB before, there may not be a DAB antenna in the car. 

ok. If I don't have the DAB antenna in the car and on sync 2 I have to mount yes, or on the contrary ... is it a problem? what is the DAB antenna for? 

If you don't have a DAB antenna in the car then DAB just will not work. You can still listen to FM.

If you want to have DAB, then you will need a DAB antenna. 

56 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

If you don't have a DAB antenna in the car then DAB just will not work. You can still listen to FM.

If you want to have DAB, then you will need a DAB antenna. 

Ok thanks there should be ... 

You don't need a separate GPSM module or antenna on the Kuga. It has one fitted at the factory and is behind the instrument cluster.

Have you started doing the install yet.

Are you aware that there is absolutely nothing to mount the sync 2 screen to and you have to cut quite a bit of the existing dashboard away. There is no going back to sync 1 once you start cutting. This procedure is not for the faint hearted. It is an extremely time consuming procedure and is much more involved than doing it on the Focus.

I would suggest you join the Kuga UK club where there are other members, other than me who have done this install.

49 minutes ago, smartguy69 said:

Non hai bisogno di un modulo GPSM separato o di un'antenna sul Kuga. Ne ha uno installato in fabbrica ed è dietro il cluster degli strumenti.

Hai ancora iniziato a fare l'installazione.

Siete consapevoli che non c'è assolutamente nulla da montare lo schermo sincronico 2 e dovete tagliare via un po' del cruscotto esistente. Non si può tornare alla sincronica 1 una volta che si inizia a tagliare. Questa procedura non è per il cuore debole. È unestremamente tempo di consumare la procedura ed è molto più coinvolto che farlo sul Focus.

Vi suggerirei di unirvi al Kuga UK club dove ci sono altri membri, diversi da me che hanno fatto questa installazione.

I am confused ... There are those who tell me that I need the gpsm module because there is no factory with sync 1, and there are those who tell me that it is there from the factory ... who is right ??? 

Just to clarify things. This thread was originally created for the Ford Focus. Most of the people contributing are doing this on a Ford Focus and know very little about the Kuga. 

All I can say is that a GPSM module is required for Sync2 to work. But I don't know if the Kuga has this installed from the factory. If it is installed from the factory as standard then you do not need to purchase one as it is already there. 

On a Ford Focus it has to be added, but as was mentioned above, you would be better off joining a Kuga forum as they would know more about your car. 

We can all help with the upgrade on a generic level, but I do not have in-depth knowledge of a Ford Kuga and what is standard and what is not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Solo per chiarire le cose. Questo filo è stato originariamente creato per la Ford Focus. La maggior parte delle persone che contribuiscono lo stanno facendo su una Ford Focus e sanno molto poco del Kuga.

Tutto quello che posso dire è che è necessario un modulo GPSM per il lavoro di Sync2. Ma non so se il Kuga abbia installato questa dalla fabbrica. Se è installato dalla fabbrica come standard allora non è necessario acquistare uno come già lì.

Su una Ford Focus deve essere aggiunto, ma come è stato detto sopra, sarebbe meglio unirsi ad un forum Kuga perché ne saprebbero di più sulla vostra auto.

Possiamo tutti aiutare con l'aggiornamento a livello generico, ma non ho una conoscenza approfondita di una Ford Kuga e di ciò che è standard e cosa non lo è.

Ok. I ordered the gpsm module as recommended. What is the difference between gps and gpsm? 

Both GPS and GPSM are the same in what they provide. GPSM stands for GPS module and it's what Ford chose to use.

It's a standard GPS receiver that transmits GPS data over the CAN BUS rather than going directly to an individual component. 

I would recommend getting the information about the Kuga before buying anything. 

• Thanks 1

while for the rear camera which are the 2 pins that I have to connect from the original plug? on your schematic it says pins 1 and 2, while on another they say 2 and 4 (as in the picture)  ... Which are the right ones? 

Screenshot_20210302-183831_YouTube.jpg

1 minute ago, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

while for the rear camera which are the 2 pins that I have to connect from the original plug? on your schematic it says pins 1 and 2, while on another they say 2 and 4 (as in the picture)  ... Which are the right ones? 

Screenshot_20210302-183831_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-183855_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6500c8e53287c2e134fa750536254f94.jpg

12 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

image.thumb.png.852e9405fb2b1ef0ae95e1bfe0475e49.png

Kuga Wiring Diagram

thanks for sure it will be useful to me. I am not very experienced and I do not know how to read these diagrams but I would like to know based on this guide of this forum he created the green plug that connected to the rear camera and on the other side 2 wires come out that connects to pins 14 and 15 of the apim . Seeing the green plug of the camera in front of me, how do I know the numbers to which the 4 pins correspond? ie pin 1 pin 2 pin 3 pin 4 ... If I have to connect pins 1 and 2 how do I know which are between the 4? 

13 hours ago, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

I am confused ... There are those who tell me that I need the gpsm module because there is no factory with sync 1, and there are those who tell me that it is there from the factory ... who is right ??? 

@Daniele kuga II 2014

I have a 2015 Kuga. I have converted my sync 1 to sync 2. The kuga has the GPS Module fitted as standard at the factory. The Focus does not. 

If you look at your instrument cluster underneath the digital speed you will see N, S, E W. This is the information from the GPS module telling you which way you are heading. Without the module it wouldn't be able to do that. There is no need to buy a GPS module or antenna unless you are going to sync 3. If you look at my picture below the GPS is telling me my car is facing South in the first picture and South East in the second.

Steevo25 has an enormous amount of knowledge on the upgrade on the Focus and although there are some things that are the same as the Kuga there are others that are different. 

Have a look at this thread from the Kuga forum. 

https://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/threads/kuga-sync-2-retrofit.14887/#post-150597

IMG_20201229_214952.jpg

IMG_20201128_162150.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smartguy69 said:

@Daniele kuga II 2014

Ho una Kuga 2015. Ho convertito la mia sincronia 1 alla sincronia 2. Il kuga ha il modulo GPS installato come standard in fabbrica."Il Focus non lo fa.

Se si guarda il cluster di strumenti sotto la velocità digitale si vedrà N, S, E W. Questa è l'informazione del modulo GPS che vi dice come si sta andando. Senza il modulo non sarebbe in grado di farlo. Non c'è bisogno di acquistare un modulo GPS o un'antenna a meno che tu non ti sinimbli 3. Se guardi la mia immagine sotto il GPS mi sta dicendo che la mia auto sta affrontando Sud nella prima foto e Sud-Est nel secondo.

Steevo25 ha un'enorme quantità di conoscenza sull'aggiornamento sul Focus e anche se ci sono alcune cose che sono le stesse del Kuga ci sono altre che sono diverse.

Guardate questo filo dal forum di Kuga.

https://www. kugaowowsclub. co. uk/threads/kuga-sync-2-retrofit.14887/#post-150597

IMG_20201229_214952.jpg

IMG_20201128_162150.jpg

Hi already ordered the gpsm module as they advised me ... Since you have a kuga and you have made the switch to sync 2, could you recommend me too? Is the pin shift to be done identical to this table below? can I follow this guide in detail? Regarding the connection of the rear view camera which are the 2 pins you used from the green plug? For the connection of the GPSM module, if as you say you already had it from the factory, have you disassembled all the instruments to get there? Do you have anything else to show me or recommend for kuga? Thanks again to ALL for your kind help  🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Focus Sync Conversion table-4.pdf

15 hours ago, Steevo25 said:

image.thumb.png.852e9405fb2b1ef0ae95e1bfe0475e49.png

Kuga Wiring Diagram

I for the kuga can I follow this guide exactly for switching from sync 1 to sync 2 on kuga ? wiring, pin inversion, etc ...? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club