Luke_Anderson

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Ok bud hope you get sorted. 

Still haven't sort out my park pilot issue.

Also noticed today when using the sat nav for the first time that while it works fine on the 8", the turn directions in the speedo cluster tell me theres 9999 yards to go till the next turning! Then drops by half every few seconds!

I think there may be an issue with a significant bit somewhere lol!

To be fair I didn't load in another as built. I'll compare my sync 2 data with this sync 3 and see if I can find the error.

Odd about the sat nav though. Do you get your dash telling you it's 1786miles to the next turn??

Ive removed the gpsm module to see if that's the cause, but can't test right now to see.

I’d try loading a sync 3 as built and then make your adjustments from there, i found the asbuilt quite different between the 2. My dash display works fine 👍🏻

Welp! I'm back from my festival and today was the day I was going to program my car.... BUT when I loaded up FoCCCus and tried to read from the IPC... my car crashed and it said it couldn't read from it... so I'm not going to lie... I'm a little nervous to continue in case I break the damn thing!  I managed to load the as built data from a different focus fine but as soon as FoCCCus came out my car was NOT happy haha!

Any advice or ideas as to why it would crash my car's on board computers and force a car wide reboot? 

Another note.... Now I have a navigation fault.... *sigh* today just gets better and better!

And another note! I can't get the IPC value to 09, it only allows me to go to 08

Well I fixed the Nav fault, restored her back to what I had originally in the as built data, I swear things just aren't going the way I want them to today!!  Clearly programming this in is going to take a while *sigh* 

Right F*** it I'll revert what I've done for now, come back to it after some research.  All this just to get my calls system working again!! 🤬🤬🤬

On a side note.... I swear  after resetting the DTC codes or reflashing her or whatever changed, I swear her AirCon is working again and her performance has increased.... don't ask me why but suddenly things have improved and I don't know what I did 🤣

😂 I’ve found focccus to be unreliable at the best of times, I didn’t need to go back and change anything when going from sync 2 to 3 just the asbuilt using forscan 👍🏻

On 6/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, Luke_Anderson said:

😂 I’ve found focccus to be unreliable at the best of times, I didn’t need to go back and change anything when going from sync 2 to 3 just the asbuilt using forscan 👍🏻

I wonder what on earth caused the Nav fault in the as built I copied then 🤔🤔🤔 I need to figure out what went wrong!  And yeah Focccus actually wiped my car's Trip data as soon as it connected and scanned my car so that was fun! 😱😱😱  I need to get my voice calling working!  Im wondering if I can just change the value in the bluetooth section (line 157 I think it was?) to whatever the as built says for the newer car.  

I'm scarily surprised by how my car was already half done for Sync 3, the whole car is pretty much set up for it minus one or two bits of programming!

You should be able to manually enter whatever value you like in focccus, that’s what I did 👍🏻 Change them and you’ll get your voice commands back 👍🏻👍🏻

When i was messing around in the as built for the APIM, I lost my voice controls. I'm pretty sure it was in the 7D0-01-02 line bit can't remember what byte.

Perhaps it's not a ccc issue after all?

Looking at those photos, you're a braver man than me!

Out of curiosity, if you're going to all the legwork of ripping it all apart, and by the looks of it, even removing the front two seats, then any particular reason you didn't opt for Sync 3?

I've seen both Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 and Sync 3 is miles better, was there a significant cost difference?

I know from having looked in the past getting the upgrade kit from MFT (Sync 2) to Sync 3 is between $1,500-$2,000 depending on what make and model you have.

Just seems odd you'd spend all that time upgrading it to a very outdated and fairly sluggish system.

Yes cost is the main issue. Over here the going rate for a sync 3 screen and APIM is around £600, where sync 2, which is still a vast improvement on sync 1, is only around £200.

Luke and I both got lucky with our Sync 3 systems, getting them for under £200, and can resell our Sync 2 systems to recoup.

There is a thread by @Bannko around for upgrading from factory fit sync 2 to sync 3 and I would imagine it would be a lot less than $2000...