Luke_Anderson

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Recommended Posts

Thanks. One more!:

I don't have a plug for the button controls. Do the required wires with molex pins just push onto the pins in the buttons?

 

Edit: I'm a fnidiot! The plug had just dropped down lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Thanks. One more!:

I don't have a plug for the button controls. Do the required wires with molex pins just push onto the pins in the buttons?

 

Edit: I'm a fnidiot! The plug had just dropped down lol!

😂😂 I was gonna say you certainly should have one 😂😂 then pins aren’t the proper ones but they do fit 😍👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I noticed the difference! They're a bit looser than than the others bit as you say, they fit fine. 

I've done!

It's working but with a few glitches. I was literally racing to finish as we were heading out for a barbeque at 3 today so I just checked it worked then started putting the panels back in. I noticed it doesn't like my old maps card so I'll have to pick up an f6, and dab doesn't seem to work, even though there's a place the options for it on the display. I need some time to play with it and mess about with the cars config, then I'll out a write up on my build thread.

Thanks for all your help so far @Luke_Anderson, I wouldn't have even tried without your efforts first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Yeah I noticed the difference! They're a bit looser than than the others bit as you say, they fit fine. 

I've done!

It's working but with a few glitches. I was literally racing to finish as we were heading out for a barbeque at 3 today so I just checked it worked then started putting the panels back in. I noticed it doesn't like my old maps card so I'll have to pick up an f6, and dab doesn't seem to work, even though there's a place the options for it on the display. I need some time to play with it and mess about with the cars config, then I'll out a write up on my build thread.

Thanks for all your help so far @Luke_Anderson, I wouldn't have even tried without your efforts first!

Good work! Yeah the maps are different, anything from f4 onwards will work. 

As for the dab do you mean you can’t select it or it won’t tune in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually there may be an important part I’ve missed 😂

did you already have nav and more importantly did you tmc? If so you would have had a pink and black fakra that went to the screen that wasn’t used? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't tune in.

Ah mine is an old A3 card for western Europe 🙂

Yeah I had nav and those fakra cables...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case I missed a really important part! 😂

so they act as a loop through to the stereo unit, black cable goes into the screen, pink comes out of the screen and into the radio. Soooooooooo

put the black that went into the screen into your audio module and it’ll work fine 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol yeah that was pretty crucial! All sorted and working now thanks. I still have a coupla questions:

I haven't been in with FoCCCus or forscan yet but everything seems to be working. What sort of stuff did you need to sort out? 

Oh wait I remembered I don't see park pilot and I keep getting a nav error, inform your dealer. Does that need focccus to sort?

Also, I notice in the voice commands there's options for playing movies... Don't happen to know what formats?

 

Edit:: Ok, I've made the changed in the config as you suggested in your first post.  I like that the screen near the dials has gone from blue to black =]

I didn't bother to download an as-built because all the features seem to be working.  I'm not sure if the nav fault is just cos I need an up to date card?  I'll order one anyway as it needs it and see.

Other than that, I need to get the visual parking guide up (I only have rear sensors anyway) and everything is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool! Yeah the As built should sort out the park pilot, if it doesn’t let me know as I had to use that google drive document to get mine to show, the nav fault will be the card, once you get a new one it’ll be fine 👍🏻 Movies wise I haven’t really played with that so couldn’t tell you to be honest 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,

 

Great write up.

 

Luke do you still have the Sync 2 for grabs, if so what exactly is included and how much?

 

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I'm trying to get an as built but I can't find an option on Etis to enter a reg to get a vin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after a load of wiring and stuff I’ve got at least basic Sync 3 functionality thanks to you @Luke_Anderson just need to sort out my facia and steering controls and get the media hub wired in properly!! Then in with foCCCus and ForScan! 

 

Fingers crossed I’ll get her finished tomorrow, for now, tea break and sleep! Long day’s work! Those panels really take some work to get off!

ADA67A4A-E91F-4ADB-AE17-6FAC0BDAF1CD.jpeg

B7B99738-69AF-4660-9374-CC6B8473B821.jpeg

 

3F485BED-5772-4CFF-9B22-A95C0131E29D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Alright, I'm trying to get an as built but I can't find an option on Etis to enter a reg to get a vin...

That’s odd, if you click on vehicle it should be under that? 

6 hours ago, skullyi said:

Well after a load of wiring and stuff I’ve got at least basic Sync 3 functionality thanks to you @Luke_Anderson just need to sort out my facia and steering controls and get the media hub wired in properly!! Then in with foCCCus and ForScan! 

 

Fingers crossed I’ll get her finished tomorrow, for now, tea break and sleep! Long day’s work! Those panels really take some work to get off!

ADA67A4A-E91F-4ADB-AE17-6FAC0BDAF1CD.jpeg

B7B99738-69AF-4660-9374-CC6B8473B821.jpeg

 

3F485BED-5772-4CFF-9B22-A95C0131E29D.jpeg

That looks awesome! I do enjoy sync 3 hopefully I’ll be able to catch one at a good price soon 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work with sync 3. I have to say the one thing I'm noticing with sync 2 is the amount of fingerprints the thing is covered in!

There's an option to enter a vin bit not a reg...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Nice work with sync 3. I have to say the one thing I'm noticing with sync 2 is the amount of fingerprints the thing is covered in!

There's an option to enter a vin bit not a reg...

I put a screen protector on my Sync 2 screen and you don't see the fingerprints anywhere near as much, if at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

What kind of screen protector did you get? The fingerprints drive me crazy! 

I got a NuShield DayVue from the US. It wasn't cheap, but it's been on there nearly 3 years, so can't complain.

You can just select Ford Focus 12-14 and they send you the correct size for Sync 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

I got a NuShield DayVue from the US. It wasn't cheap, but it's been on there nearly 3 years, so can't complain.

You can just select Ford Focus 12-14 and they send you the correct size for Sync 2.

Thanks, is it a glossy or matte finish? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Nope.  Just offers Vin lookup and recent lookups.  No reg entry.  It does say it depends on which market you are in, but I didn't think Lincolnshire was that far behind everyone else...

 

edit: nvm, I get the reg option through my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, @Luke_Anderson, would you be able to give me a hand with editing the APIM manually?  I can see that its basically hex values which I'm comfortable with (having messed around with many a video game in the past lol!) but the values given in that spreadsheet in the first post don't seem to correlate, and the as-built data I installed actually removed the sat nav and didn't put park pilot on the screen lol!  Both features the car the data belonged to was supposed to have!

Anyway, is there an offset required to add or subtract from the values in the spreadsheet do you know?

For example:  0x7D00101 0*00 0000 0000 - the * is supposed to be either 0, 2 or A for the reverse camera but the as built for the car I downloaded is 9.??

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Ok, @Luke_Anderson, would you be able to give me a hand with editing the APIM manually?  I can see that its basically hex values which I'm comfortable with (having messed around with many a video game in the past lol!) but the values given in that spreadsheet in the first post don't seem to correlate, and the as-built data I installed actually removed the sat nav and didn't put park pilot on the screen lol!  Both features the car the data belonged to was supposed to have!

Anyway, is there an offset required to add or subtract from the values in the spreadsheet do you know?

For example:  0x7D00101 0*00 0000 0000 - the * is supposed to be either 0, 2 or A for the reverse camera but the as built for the car I downloaded is 9.??

 

Thanks 

I’ll be honest, it’s a bit beyond me that one! I know it works on hex values etc but as for working them out i couldn’t tell you. That google doc is for an f150 and some of them are for sync 3 only. 

Strange that the as built actually removed things the car should have. 

What model is yours? And what model did you get the asbuilt from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ti and Ti.

I restored the backup so thats fine.  The only things now not working are Nav (I have a card coming tomorrow but theres also a contact dealer fault : navigation is not working properly.  Im hoping this goes with a new card), the date is wrong ( can't find an option to set it) and visual park assist - I get the beeps but nothing on the screen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now