Luke_Anderson

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Hi, I'd like to add my findings when sourcing parts for the sync 3 upgrade, I bought what I thought was a sync 3 APIM from a Focus, it turns out it's from a transit. No problem i'll just change the brackets. But then I offered it up to my fascia and:

IMG_20200517_121502207.thumb.jpg.25642e41f75be4f1edf9464d7e1b68c2.jpg

It's too small 😡. The screens on the Transits are 6.5" not 8". Back to trawling ebay unless anyone knows of someone trying the upgrade on a Transit???

Not having much luck so far, the first APIM I bought went missing in the post and the second one is too small. Third time lucky eh?

22 hours ago, MDG950 said:

Hi, I'd like to add my findings when sourcing parts for the sync 3 upgrade, I bought what I thought was a sync 3 APIM from a Focus, it turns out it's from a transit. No problem i'll just change the brackets. But then I offered it up to my fascia and:

IMG_20200517_121502207.thumb.jpg.25642e41f75be4f1edf9464d7e1b68c2.jpg

It's too small 😡. The screens on the Transits are 6.5" not 8". Back to trawling ebay unless anyone knows of someone trying the upgrade on a Transit???

Not having much luck so far, the first APIM I bought went missing in the post and the second one is too small. Third time lucky eh?

I wonder if the module from the back of the display could be taken off and fitted onto a 8inch display.

I guess if the screen resolutions are the same then it would work. It looks to have the same mounting points and electrical connector. Tricky part is finding an 8" screen by itself! 

IMG_20200516_190134681.thumb.jpg.c7d2bc2724ac33eb6594e06f84abb5c7.jpg

I was wondering if this would be a cheaper way of upgrading a sync 2 unit. If, for instance, you could get hold a sync 3 with a broken screen.

I don't believe you can use a sync 2 screen with a sync 3 apim, the electrical connection between the two is different.

Electrical connector on the sync 2

1911146634_Screenshot_20200520-2210452.thumb.png.4d7135d255d2a3aa76baec6dc3840191.png

Electrical connector on the sync 3

445955419_Screenshot_20200520-2212172.thumb.png.3a3626bd7ba3f5c5c299825010df6f33.png

Nice idea though, the sync 3 apim modules can be quite cheap on eBay. But it seems there are very few screens around.

Oh well, that's that idea scuppered then. I'll just have to keep looking out for a cheap complete sync 3 unit on eBay then!

Oh well, that's that idea scuppered then. I'll just have to keep looking out for a cheap complete sync 3 unit on eBay then!

I’m in the same boat, had sync 2 for a while now after coming from sync 1. Just fancy having a more fluent and quicker navigation and the option of Apple car play would be cool :) prices on eBay have shot up since late last year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did anyone keep hold of there Sony ACM by any chance, I sold mine as a bundle and noticed the sound quality from the sync 2 one dipped quite a bit. I want to put a Sony one back in... its been on my to do list since I upgraded to sync 2..

If not, what model numbers should I be looking out for on eBay? I’ve found a unit...but there wanting £80 for just the ACM... seems steep to me just for that.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I believe you did this or something similar Phil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After reading all 33 pages in really tempted to go through with this but probably too sync 2 as sync3 prices are sky high just now, just terrified I bugger it up and I see that harness on amazon is now unavailable. 

Hi is there anyone in the midlands willing to fit a sync 3 into a focus titanium navigator 2014 Willing to pay going rate 

Hi Luke do you have a PDF of the wiring loom for the Sync2 to alter the pins.

Regards. 

Peter.