Tonis_T

Ford mk2 engine options

Hello,

I have inquired here previously about ticking sound that I heard from my 2006 focus estate 1,6 ti vct 85 kw engine.

No one had any good idea here and ford dealership insisted, engine is OK and just ride it. Well, third party engine shop has confirmed, that engine is toast beyond economical repair.

I am looking options, what to do. 

One is to get used engine and hope for the best.

Do you guys have any info about what are the options for used engines without major electronics and ecu swaps? Only mk2 1,6 ti vct 85kw or can I use different engines also?

Because at least mk3 had 1,6ti vct engines in use and mk2 engines usually have pretty big mileage and finding usable one is pretty tall order.

Any info is welcome.

Vin is  WF0WXXGCDW6P67660  if that's any help.

Do you trust the engine shop?  It seems unlike Ford to avoid a high priced job!

You'll need another mk2 1.6 engine to keep all the wiring, ECU and ancillaries the same if you do decide to swap.  Used engines are a bit of a gamble unless you can hear it running before it's removed from a rear ended crash or something.

Yeah. Not worth doing. I have some rust problems too and I could use the car few years at best even with engine swap. Going to get something else.

Probably octavia estate or focus mk3; 3,5 estate.

Keep driving till engine goes boom and do not replace it.

I replaced my 1.6tdci engine 2 weeks after buying the car.

Worst mistake,engine I got from the scrapyard was s**t and after awhile I had to replace the whole top end of that engine and I still have problems with the car.

Rather scrap it and buy another one, you,d get a full car for the price of an engine and labour (unless your in the trade and do it yourself )

Well things are set. I'm going with Škoda octavia 3 1,4 tsi estate. 

Focus was fun and reliable. Even with engine shot it never left me stranded on the road and has been a very good car overall. 

Hopefully octy will be as good car as ford was.

There is metallic click within the engine. Compression is gone in cyl 1 and 4 and looking with bosescope there were vertical scratches on sleeve wall. Basically would have to open up top and bottom ends. Labor itself costs so much that it is not worth it (plus parts). Besides I have some rust problems an that ads to the problem throwing money to this motor.