Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake squeak

Furio101

I have had a very annoying squeel from my rear pads at about 9k miles it started ,weather does not affect it. Been back to dealers they stripped and re-aligned the pads which Sorted it for 2k and now it is back! My next step was to order some Pagid pads from Halfords as they have angled edges which the oem ones don't which I assume will help? Anyone else suffered this? 

Screenshot_20180510-085559.png

Why didn't you just try filing angled edges on your existing pads? This is quite a common practice to cure brake squeal especially on drum brakes.

I had a squeel on the rear drivers side on my mk2.5, discs on rear, striped and cleaned pads and disc didnt cure it, but taking the slide pins out and cleaning and re greesing did, they were clogged up with dirt and old greese and weren't moving freely. 

Did the dealer check the caliper or just re aline the pads? 

years ago when I was doing more work on cars (for myself, not actually in the trade) the common thing to stop squeal was to smear copper grease on the back of the pads

Copper grease and anti-squeal shims which dont seem to be sold with pads these days.

• Like 1

The factory fitted Ford/FoMoCo brake pads (which are produced by ATE) have anti-squeal shims as standard. However the shims are glued/vulcanised to the backside of the pads and are no longer a seperate part. 

Creating angled edges and applying copper grease (or even better ceramic grease) between the caliper pistons and the back of the pads is basically the only thing that can be done to stop the squealing of the current brake pads. If this does not stop the squealing the problem can only be solved by changing the brake pads.

Personally I am not impressed by the quality of the current generation Ford/FoMoCo brake pads. The quality of these brake pads used to be much better a few Years ago (more powerful, less brake dust). Because of this I replaced my front disc brakes (both discs and pads) at a mileage of only 30.000 KM. Both the discs and the pads were not worn at all. I installed Brembo discs and textar Epad ceramic brake pads which are actually a lot better than the original discs and pads.  The rear discs and pads will probably be replaced at the end of this Year.

Thanks, I have a set of Pagid and a set of Motor croft ( 1809259 ford) pads. Both with a chamfered edge. will get them to try the Ford ones first. My local garage is doing for free so saves me having to do it.

The local dealer just realigned and put a load of anti squeak paste, 2k later noise is back so decided to change pads.

Could be a coincidence but I used to use Bilt Hamber auto-wheel cleaner and they were fine before using that brand, It was left on the back wheels a little longer than prescribed <5min and I think that has contaminated the pads.....only a thought though..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club