Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door mirror replacement

barryf

Hi peoples, being a newbie, and not understanding a lot,(also in my 70s (Oldie)can anyone help me. how easy or not is it to replace Drivers side door mirror? The black panel thingy that actually holds the mirror is broken. I'm assuming I'll have to replace the lot. I had a quick look on U-tube, but none of the interior panels that have to come off ( so I can get to 2 fixing screws) is like mine, mine has a little (looks like a ) speaker. any help would be most welcome.

Also, on a completely different thing, What does it mean when you have to put "Tags" on a topic ??  Again ,Thanks Baz

• Like 1

Hi Welcome

Very easy to change, you will need to change the whole mirror if the base is broken yes.  You can swap over the glass and coloured cap to save costs, or just buy a complete unit which is easiest.

You can still remove the black panel with the tweeter (little speaker) the same as the blank ones.  Then it's just a case of removing the screws for the mirror, pulling the mirror away from the door and unplugging the electrical connection.  

OK, Thanks for that, but I'm having trouble getting the interior panel off, the one that has to come off to get to the 2 screws holding the mirror on. 

Whoops looks like I've put this in the wrong section. Sorry

22 minutes ago, barryf said:

OK, Thanks for that, but I'm having trouble getting the interior panel off, the one that has to come off to get to the 2 screws holding the mirror on. 

I'm fairly sure it's just clipped in so should pull off, though you've got to give it some force!

Might be worth checking to make sure there are no hidden screws under little round covers though.

Hello Tom. Yep, thanks for that, gave it a bit of welly and it came off, unfortunately there were a couple of little clips hidden in there which were broken. We have a Focus breaker a couple of miles away, so perhaps he can save the clips when removing his, fingers crossed. Regards, Baz

On 5/10/2018 at 1:46 PM, barryf said:

Whoops looks like I've put this in the wrong section. Sorry

Moved to correct Forum :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Clive

Sorry to drop into this topic but I have noticed by your link that you have swapped your centre console I am looking at carbon dipping my silver trim on top of the consol is it easy to remove do you know?

The silver part is held on to the console top with melted tabs.

You'd need to cut the melted ends back and reattach the tabs to the console top with hot glue or suchlike.

All accessible once you take the top off the console body.

I have some phots somewhere that I'll post up later to give you pointers.

Thanks Clive

Don't suppose how you remove the ashtray like compartment as well?

As promised-

Basically anywhere you see these small black blobs you'll need to cut / grind / chip them back until the top trim comes free (pictures show what you're looking for).

DSC_0079.thumb.jpg.804281290f91c3c6093143712ca2dd2e.jpgDSC_0076.thumb.jpg.841be2c511f4267ed3ac140848ffafb3.jpg

Concerning the ashtray cubby - once you remove the top trim from the console you should see two bolts at the front holding down a clamp / spacer that holds the cubby in place at the bottom (where the black fingers are on the pic below) undo this and the cubby pulls out (from the bottom first).

DSC_0096-3.jpg.f78b8c4e4704d0796d993ad46b66765a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks mate looks like another project about to start as well as removing the trim on my sons fiesta mk6.5 for the same reason lol. 

• Like 1