Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 uneven revs/jerking issue

iFocus

Hi All,

A few months ago you may recall I posted something along the lines of the above.

It started when my cambelt was replaced by an independent mechanic and its been doing it ever since.

It is showing no errors currently according to my ford dealer who has looked at it since the cam belt was done and they can find no issue with it.

It basically has uneven revs at idle and at speed, this unevenness manifests its self as a chug or a surge whilst driving, its especially more noticeable when going down a slight incline. The MPG has been dire since the cam belt was replaced too. 

Here is a video I've taken of my rev counter and you can see when holding it at certain revs they go up and down, I've got the display in test mode so you can clearly see the difference revs more clearly.

https://vimeo.com/269179678

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm thinking it could be the timing is out but I don't really want to fork out more money if it isn't as I'll likely have to have a new timing belt installed.

Thanks,

Craig

The had this exact issue with my old fiesta faster having the belt changed. When at idle, it was ever so slightly go up and down revs. It was because the belt was fitted ever so slightly off apparently. I sold the car shortly after. 

• Like 1

Yep, they didn't set the belt up correctly and your timing is off

• Like 1

does sound like belt not timed. you dont need another timing belt if all is realigning required , but you will need new crank and cam bolts. 

im sick of the sight of timing belts on focus and fiestas , been doing them daily for the last week or two. 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

does sound like belt not timed. you dont need another timing belt if all is realigning required , but you will need new crank and cam bolts. 

im sick of the sight of timing belts on focus and fiestas , been doing them daily for the last week or two. 

Just for you @iantt, here's mine. I really need to get around to getting the photos off my old phone, and writing up the job.

On topic: If/when you took it back to the original mechanic that fit it, did they remove the valve cover/timing cover to check timing?

FocusEngineTiming.jpg

• Like 1

did a blue one yesterday, black one started late afternoon today. battery tools soon gets them apart. left it stripoed down. got 3 days off now so going back together monday morning. think its another focus after that one. 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:20 PM, Micro said:

Just for you @iantt, here's mine. I really need to get around to getting the photos off my old phone, and writing up the job.

On topic: If/when you took it back to the original mechanic that fit it, did they remove the valve cover/timing cover to check timing?

No, the mechanic just insisted it couldn't be the timing that was out as the car wouldn't run at all if it was out!

The mechanic also talked complete rubbish too, as he told me the cam belt would 'bed in' and I need to also change it every 3 years...

it will run if out by 1/2 tooth. i know because a new lad at work did a fiesta cam belt and didnt get timing right. didnt check it and put back together. it ran and drove but wanted to cut out and idle poorly. 

i came back of holidays and boss wanted me to recheck timing on this vehicle.  i reset it correctly and ran fine after. this new lad no longer works for us ( was more than this issue why he left) 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club