Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird RPM while flooring

patrick1233900
聽Share

Hi. I have a 2007 Mondeo 2.0 Tdci with manual 6-speed. I'm having an issue with the RPM. It's not causing any troubles, but i have been speculating about it for a while now.

If i'm driving casually and e.g wants to overtake, it takes a while for the turbo to take effect (pretty normal i guess). When it finally kicks in, my RPM rises to about 3500 and kinda stays there. This mostly happens in 3rd gear, but can happen occasionally in 4th as well. The power is there, but i'm concerned the clutch may be slipping. Previews owner told me the car was chipped, and i'm concerned it has been chipped too high for the clutch to handle it. It kinda acts like if the car had a CVT (which it obviously doesn't). Can anyone tell me the reason for this.

I included a video i recorded of it happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RDTCqDFavUVH5bSyzsQAiWNfrECziFsh/view?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance. 馃檪

Looks like clutch slip probably too much power for your clutch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patrick1233900 said:

When it finally kicks in, my RPM rises to about 3500 and kinda stays there.

+1 for clutch slip. It is a bit hard to see from the VId, but it looks like the rpm rises appreciably before the speed really changes much. At 3500rpm, the torque from the engine may be starting to drop off a bit, especially if airways are a bit clogged due to age & mileage, so it holds at that level.

I am a bit surprised it does not do it in 5th / 6th, usually clutch slip is worse in higher gears, try it starting from the same initial rpm, maybe on a bit of a hill to give it more work to do. But don't hold it too long, if it is slipping it will heat up very quickly. Clutches usually smell pretty bad when they get too hot, which is another clue to look for.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

I am a bit surprised it does not do it in 5th / 6th, usually clutch slip is worse in higher gears

Yeah about that. I went on the highway the other day. It鈥檚 the same story in 5th and 6th. Turns out I was wrong. Well I guess the whole chipping thing may have been too much on it. It鈥檚 done 239,000 km. So it is quite used. In fact it鈥檚 my dads car and he鈥檚 been questioning me what it could be and if it possibly was intentional. But I guess I should tell him to have it looked at.聽

1 hour ago, patrick1233900 said:

I guess the whole chipping thing may have been too much on it. It鈥檚 done 239,000 km.

I think any extra power from the chipping will only have brought forward an existing problem by a little. If the clutch was that marginal, it would have started slipping sooner or later anyway. Once slip starts to happen, then in my experience it gets steadily worse over a period of a few weeks or maybe months, until the car is un-driveable.

I remember, donkey's years ago, hauling a heavy trailer and load up a steep, narrow road, knowing that if I kept going I would probably make it, but once I stopped, or even slowed down too much, it would never get going again :ohmy:. Luckily, I did not meet anyone coming down, and got to the top!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club