Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery dying quickly, is it done?

Diastolic

I have a 2015 focus titanium with stop start. Now I have hitched the stop start doesn’t really activate (no aircon on etc). I have had the radio on (on its own) after about 20 mins the battery is dead. Now I’m absolutely sure this isn’t normal, though I’m nit a mechanic. The battery reading 11.6 volts over the battery at the moment. I have only had the car a couple of weeks. Is the bettery goosed? 

maybe, but we don't know for sure it is charging properly. It might be flat because the alternator has not kept it charged up enough.  It's not that old for a battery. In my previous Fiesta 1.6tdci the original Ford battery lasted 10.5 years, to be fair it was showing signs of being a bit weak for maybe a year but that's still 9.5 yrs before any sign of weakness. 

Can you start it and check the voltage when running on tickover and a bit above tickover and with the headlights on and everything else to give it a heavy electrical load

May not be helpful, but I had issues with the battery draining quickly/overnight. Pulled the battery out to charge it in the house, out it back in the car and been fine ever since.

Sounds slightly different to your situation as I reckoned on a parasitic drain, but disconnecting the battery for over half an hour seemed to sort it.

Worth a try?

59 minutes ago, Diastolic said:

I have a 2015 focus titanium with stop start. Now I have hitched the stop start doesn’t really activate (no aircon on etc). I have had the radio on (on its own) after about 20 mins the battery is dead. Now I’m absolutely sure this isn’t normal, though I’m nit a mechanic. The battery reading 11.6 volts over the battery at the moment. I have only had the car a couple of weeks. Is the bettery goosed? 

Stop/start technology uses a lot of battery particularly if your doing a lot of city miles, the stop/start will disable if the battery has insufficient capacity as your experiencing 

This could be the battery is for want of a better word "expired"

Of 

It could also be that it's been doing too much city miles stopping and starting; they ideally need a long run to charge the battery aswell, If you have time today perhaps switch off air con and take if for a steady drive somewhere for an hour then see how it goes for the rest of the week.

Ultimately though; if changing the battery your best option is a Bosch S5 best battery for stop/start I'm not sure which code as it will be a Bosch S5 000 the last three numbers determines the size specific to your focus.

47 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Stop/start technology uses a lot of battery particularly if your doing a lot of city miles, the stop/start will disable if the battery has insufficient capacity as your experiencing 

This could be the battery is for want of a better word "expired"

Of 

It could also be that it's been doing too much city miles stopping and starting; they ideally need a long run to charge the battery aswell, If you have time today perhaps switch off air con and take if for a steady drive somewhere for an hour then see how it goes for the rest of the week.

Ultimately though; if changing the battery your best option is a Bosch S5 best battery for stop/start I'm not sure which code as it will be a Bosch S5 000 the last three numbers determines the size specific to your focus.

I don’t do many city miles, 30-40mins up the motorway twice a day to work and back. 

The battery to me looks crusty, I’m no mechanic, but yeah... if that was in my tv remote... I’d think something’s up. 

A49E6FF7-A9C5-48A5-8355-0185A7A97935.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Diastolic said:

I don’t do many city miles, 30-40mins up the motorway twice a day to work and back. 

The battery to me looks crusty, I’m no mechanic, but yeah... if that was in my tv remote... I’d think something’s up. 

A49E6FF7-A9C5-48A5-8355-0185A7A97935.jpeg

Ooh nasty 

Gotta take out the induction box 

Then the front clips off the battery box and the battery slides out.

Bosch S5 best battery for stop/start 

After having the car two weeks, I contacted the salesmen at trust ford. He’s going to book it in next weekend for a new bettery and to check the altinators all good. 

• Like 1

looks bad for a car of that age. the right hand retaining strap nut in the pic looks quite corroded like it might break the stud away when trying to undo it. when you get the car back make sure it's not been left broken.  the corrosion looks like it has been caused by battery acid or battery acid fumes. That make me wonder if the battery has actually been damaged (prematurely brought to the end of it's life) by overcharging. Note sure what else would cause it to get like that.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a boiled battery. I'd get the garage to check the charging system as well that is bolted onto the side of the battery box and connected to the positive terminal of the battery.

It's possible one of the cells has shorted internally. That would cause the alternator to sense a low voltage and pump lots of current in to try to charge it, resulting in overcharging and excessive gassing.

• Like 1

thats pretty bad for a vehical barely 3 years old , and with a standing charge of less than 12 volts it will be the source of all your electrical woes.

bit of a fire hazard too tbh.

i'd be giving the salesman some stick at the garage as batteries dont just leak overnight either.

although i've a feeling that the strain of a stop / start system has prematurely cooked it.

Nah, that's an isolated fault with either the battery or the charging system. As mentioned above, either a cell has failed or the charging system wanted resetting.

Dont forget to reset the battery sensor when you change the battery (need Forscan to do that) or it wont know its a new battery and will think its 5 years old and charge it appropriately

@ianttknows a reset procedure involving dash buttons...

Not on a Mk3, that works on 2 and 2.5 though

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

Not on a Mk3, that works on 2 and 2.5 though

Sorry, incorrect. Done it on mine a few times.   

It's to do with the front fog and hazard buttons but can't remember exactly what.

Actually iirc, it's 

Ignition on,

Wait 10 sec

Front fog x 10

Hazard x 3 

Wait 10 sec. 

battery light on dash should flash.

@iantt might need to correct me...

5 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Actually iirc, it's 

Ignition on,

Wait 10 sec

Front fog x 10

Hazard x 3 

Wait 10 sec. 

Battery light on dash should flash.

Is that important to do when changing the battery on a MK2? I changed mine but didn't do this and it doesn't seem to have had any ill-effects to date...

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Actually iirc, it's 

Ignition on,

Wait 10 sec

Front fog x 10

Hazard x 3 

Wait 10 sec. 

Thanks, will try that, I was given another sequence that didnt work. I did it with Forscan when I replaced mine

Got any other amazing sequence nuggets like that? I have the reset service light one (brake and clutch peddles)

S

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Actually iirc, it's 

Ignition on,

Wait 10 sec

Front fog x 10

Hazard x 3 

Wait 10 sec. 

Yeah , sounds about right, works on all the stop start varients except for Ka 2008-2016

19 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeah , sounds about right, works on all the stop start varients except for Ka 2008-2016

Assuming that's because the 2008-2016 Ka isn't a Ford?

yep, they got there own way of doing it. 

5 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Actually iirc, it's 

Ignition on,

Wait 10 sec

Front fog x 10

Hazard x 3 

Wait 10 sec. 

I thought it was something like... or is that for,older cars? (from another post)

Look at your car battery negative pole. Do you have a BMS (Battery Monitor Sensor)?
Only cars (Ford) with Start/Stop System have a EFB battery (Enhanced Flooded Battery) and a BMS.
All others (old Ford's) have normal lead-acid batteries in it. Lead batteries do not have a BMS.

For a reset of the BMS:
1. Switch on ignition (do not start engine)
2. Switch on dipped beam
3. Press 5x the rear fog light button (do not switch 5x on and off the rear fog light)
4. Press 3x hazard lights button (do not switch 3x on and off hazard lights)
5. Then the battery symbol in the speedometer should flash 3x quickly.
If it does not flash immediately, wait 20 seconds.

ive been looking this afternoon for the correct procedure, but couldnt find it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club