Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 fuel economy

Gigabit

What kind of fuel economy are people seeing on the MK8? Be useful if you posted your engine and the type of driving you do as well (motorways or not, etc.).

Same as mk7.5 around 45. mainly urban use, but dual carriageway about once a week, although I might add that I only do around 6/7,000miles per year, going to Cornwall in it in a few weeks, so I’ll have to see what mpg figures I get, ( 100ps, engine)...

Around 38-39 mpg in the 1.0 140. Some dual carriageway (but usually quite a bit of traffic on it), daily commute of around 30 miles in total, mix of city traffic, country roads with steepish hills

Around 37-38 mpg day to day use around town (some journeys I really should walk), and longer trips i.e A roads/motorways, have seen around 43-45 mpg. Fiesta Vignale 1.0 140bhp

45 to 50 mpg in my 1.0 140 depending on how careful I'm being - that's on a 40 mile commute mostly dual carriage way, steady 60-70 mph.

I'm seeing 38-40mpg at the moment (1.0 140) mostly driving in London with some motorway/dual carriageway thrown in. I got 45mpg when I drove up to Sheffield a few weeks ago. I wouldn't describe myself as an economical driver so I'm ok with that. What is surprising is this is basically the same as I got from my 2004 Yaris T-Sport which had a 1.5 N/A engine (down on power but a lighter car). I've always been quite cynical of the consensus that downsizing and turbo-charging engines delivers anything other than marginal fuel efficiency gains in real world driving, and I've yet to have my mind changed by the little ecoboost (great engine though it is).

My 2006 1.4 diesel never drops below 65mpg. On a run I've had it up to 80mpg

Done 400 miles in my 1.0 140ps St Line and am currently getting 42mpg in Eco mode, I have noticed the tank seems pretty small compared to my old clio.

I'm getting around 42 - 45 on a mixed route daily commute in my mk8 1.0 140ps st-line. I did try it for a week with the eco button on and got just shy of 40mpg from a tank 🤔.

Also find the tank quite small, getting about 350miles out of it compared to just over 400 from my last car (mk7.5 140ps red edition).

with my mark 7.5, I also found the eco button decreased fuel economy in the real world so now keep it off.

Hi All

Refueled my Mk 8 125 this morning. Over last 345 miles achieved 46.3 mpg, my calculation not the onboard fuel computer. This included two long runs of 125 miles on mostly dual carriageway and the rest on general short urban driving. ECO was on throughout the 345 miles. Car has done 2453 miles. Fuel used Tesco Momentum.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:28 AM, Dan140 said:

What is surprising is this is basically the same as I got from my 2004 Yaris T-Sport which had a 1.5 N/A engine (down on power but a lighter car).

Woah, spooky! I also came from a (2002) Yaris T-Sport to a Mk8 Fiesta ST-Line 140PS! I haven't been paying much attention to the MPG readouts yet, but I can say that a full tank of petrol would cost me around £44 in the T-Sport, and would last me more or less 2 weeks of daily commuting (30 mile round trip, some country roads, 1 stretch of A-road, some city crawling).

Having filled my ST-Line twice now, it's cost around £42 for a full tank, and without being economical about my driving, I achieved 3 more days before I got the fuel warning. Am driving with "EcoSelect" enabled on this newest tank full, so will see how that alters things. She's certainly lost a bit of that initial neck-snap with the setting enabled!

On 5/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, James Drebin said:

Woah, spooky! I also came from a (2002) Yaris T-Sport to a Mk8 Fiesta ST-Line 140PS! I haven't been paying much attention to the MPG readouts yet, but I can say that a full tank of petrol would cost me around £44 in the T-Sport, and would last me more or less 2 weeks of daily commuting (30 mile round trip, some country roads, 1 stretch of A-road, some city crawling).

Having filled my ST-Line twice now, it's cost around £42 for a full tank, and without being economical about my driving, I achieved 3 more days before I got the fuel warning. Am driving with "EcoSelect" enabled on this newest tank full, so will see how that alters things. She's certainly lost a bit of that initial neck-snap with the setting enabled!

Ah cool mate, yeah I loved the Yaris but it was becoming a pain with things going wrong. It's currently parked up in my aunts garage and I've got a vague idea to turn it into a track day car at some point. I miss the throttle response from the NA engine but the Fiesta makes up for it with mid-range grunt, and much quieter cruising. Handling wise the T-sport was massively chuckable while the Fiesta feels far more planted with a lot more grip (haven't had a chance to give it a real workout yet though).

How have you found the Fiesta vs the Yaris? Biggest thing for me was jumping 2 or 3 generations of car and trying to get to grips with all the new tech. 😀

3 hours ago, Dan140 said:

I loved the Yaris but it was becoming a pain with things going wrong... I miss the throttle response from the NA engine but the Fiesta makes up for it with mid-range grunt, and much quieter cruising. Handling wise the T-sport was massively chuckable while the Fiesta feels far more planted with a lot more grip (haven't had a chance to give it a real workout yet though).

How have you found the Fiesta vs the Yaris? Biggest thing for me was jumping 2 or 3 generations of car and trying to get to grips with all the new tech. 😀

Same here. My Yaris was still mechanically sound (never failed to start in the 4 years I had it), but the tyres kept deflating slowly thanks to flakey old alloys, and the final prompt for me to move on was a massive leak that developed in the boot, which soaked the whole back carpet. I got it "fixed", but it must have been hard to really pin down, as I was still getting a small pool of water even after that. I knew I was only going to be pouring more cash into it to keep it on the road from that point on, so I bit the bullet and went for new.

You're right about the performance difference. The Fiesta is of course a little slower off the line as the turbo has to kick in, but she actually makes up for it very shortly after lift-off, as evidenced by the very similar 0-60 times. The difference in smoothness of ride is phenomenal, though. Being a brand new car, it's so unbelievably quiet at almost every speed level. I remember the Yaris used to be like driving around in a tin of angry bees when hitting that 5th (!) gear. With the Fiesta, it's quiet unless you want to spank it a bit, and the cornering is so incredibly confident. For example, I have a fairly sharp corner at one point on my daily commute - I used to be able to crush diamonds between my buttocks when going around it at 30mph in the Yaris. I can now happily round the corner at 35-40mph without feeling in any way like I'm going to die an impressive death.

I was definitely a little overwhelmed with all the tech included, for sure. It's like going from using an simple, brutal AK47, over to a fully computerised tactical missile array. And I don't have any of the really advanced stuff like the parking sensors, cameras, auto-wipers, BLIS, collision detection etc. I just have the auto lamps and driver assist. It's the level of customisation to the car's behaviour that I find cool. Selecting Auto Stop-Start, EcoSelect etc.

Between the main car settings and the options on the SYNC3, I think I drove the first few days with virtually nothing activated. I've gradually turned stuff on, sorted settings out etc. The user manual is utter garbage though. There are several settings I've not found covered in it, so I'll probably end up posting about them on here because my dealership didn't have the answers, and the official Ford contact email just kept cut & pasting the same "contact your dealer" response. ¬_¬

Anyway, yeah. Welcome to 2018!

• Like 1

Getting 45-ish overall from my ST-Line 140. Driving mainly on single carriageway A, B and unclassified roads, little town work but little chance to use 6th either, so fairly happy with that and about as expected.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, James Drebin said:

Same here. My Yaris was still mechanically sound (never failed to start in the 4 years I had it), but the tyres kept deflating slowly thanks to flakey old alloys, and the final prompt for me to move on was a massive leak that developed in the boot, which soaked the whole back carpet. I got it "fixed", but it must have been hard to really pin down, as I was still getting a small pool of water even after that. I knew I was only going to be pouring more cash into it to keep it on the road from that point on, so I bit the bullet and went for new.

You're right about the performance difference. The Fiesta is of course a little slower off the line as the turbo has to kick in, but she actually makes up for it very shortly after lift-off, as evidenced by the very similar 0-60 times. The difference in smoothness of ride is phenomenal, though. Being a brand new car, it's so unbelievably quiet at almost every speed level. I remember the Yaris used to be like driving around in a tin of angry bees when hitting that 5th (!) gear. With the Fiesta, it's quiet unless you want to spank it a bit, and the cornering is so incredibly confident. For example, I have a fairly sharp corner at one point on my daily commute - I used to be able to crush diamonds between my buttocks when going around it at 30mph in the Yaris. I can now happily round the corner at 35-40mph without feeling in any way like I'm going to die an impressive death.

I was definitely a little overwhelmed with all the tech included, for sure. It's like going from using an simple, brutal AK47, over to a fully computerised tactical missile array. And I don't have any of the really advanced stuff like the parking sensors, cameras, auto-wipers, BLIS, collision detection etc. I just have the auto lamps and driver assist. It's the level of customisation to the car's behaviour that I find cool. Selecting Auto Stop-Start, EcoSelect etc.

Between the main car settings and the options on the SYNC3, I think I drove the first few days with virtually nothing activated. I've gradually turned stuff on, sorted settings out etc. The user manual is utter garbage though. There are several settings I've not found covered in it, so I'll probably end up posting about them on here because my dealership didn't have the answers, and the official Ford contact email just kept cut & pasting the same "contact your dealer" response. ¬_¬

Anyway, yeah. Welcome to 2018!

Exactly the same as my experience! The refinement difference is actually laughable. I used to joke that the Yaris had a built in speed limiter at 70mph as anything above that on the motorway and it sounded like the engine was about to explode (think 80mph was 4k rpm which is just insane!). And you are right about the handling, the Yaris used to go very light at the rear end when cornering at any sort of speed which was at times amusing but often quite terrifying. The Fiesta is just so planted and doesn't jump around if you hit a bump mid-corner.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Fiesta! :thumbsup:

On 5/21/2018 at 2:41 PM, Dan140 said:

I used to joke that the Yaris had a built in speed limiter at 70mph as anything above that on the motorway and it sounded like the engine was about to explode (think 80mph was 4k rpm which is just insane!). And you are right about the handling, the Yaris used to go very light at the rear end when cornering at any sort of speed which was at times amusing but often quite terrifying. The Fiesta is just so planted and doesn't jump around if you hit a bump mid-corner.

Oh it's amazing what the Yaris could do if you were brave enough to ignore the sound of what can only be described as the tearing of space and time itself. I actually got my Yaris up to 115mph on several occasions, as I have a few arrow-straight, always-empty, connective country roads on my daily route.

It was exciting knowing that were I to hit even a Malteaser-sized pebble in the road, I would likely become very airborne and very famous, very quickly. Fortunately I knew my limits, and only attempted runs like that on perfectly dry, totally traffic-free days.

Anyway, yes, extremely pleased with the step-up in quality and comfort. Even though I did have a few slight disappointments at the start, which I've posted about here:

Buying A New MK8 ST-Line - Three Minor Dealership Issues

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pardon my silly question, but are the numbers you list US miles per gallon (i.e. 45mpg = 19.13 kilometre per liter) or miles per gallon imperial (i.e. 45mpg = 15.93 kilometre per liter)?

I am getting around 16 kilometre per liter (45mpg imperial/35mpg US) with 45 min. daily city commuting and 2 hour motorway twice monthly in the MK8 2018 1.0 100HP.

Mine are certainly imperial, from the posters locations it would be safe to assume the rest of the thread is imperial also.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Eric, that certainly makes sense - and makes me feel a bit better about my apparently pretty shoddy fuel economy 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club