Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC compressor

dtulip8

I bought my car knowing the AC compressor was seized so got if for a very good price. Obviously a new one is a very expensive job, so I've bought one off a salvage 2007 1.6 Focus with a 90 day guarantee. The only problem is fitment. My garage quoted £85 all in to fit and regas a BRAND NEW compressor but I'm worried they'll refuse to fit mine as its used. Are there any good mobile mechanics who could do it for me, or can I do it myself (the gas is going to get flushed first) with a decent step by step as the Haynes one isn't very good. Also will I need to change the receiver/dryer as well? Any help much appreciated!

EDIT: I should clarify that I believe it is the clutch that is seized, as the belt around the compressor still turns fine.

Edited by dtulip8

Have you tested the compressor, they don't fail often.  The clutch won't kick in if the system is low on gas.

You can't do a regas yourself without expensive equipment.  But changing the compressor is pretty simple, literally just a few bolts.  However, if there is gas in the system, that needs to be removed by a qualified person first.  It's illegal to vent it to atmosphere.

If there is gas in the system, it'll be far easier and cheaper to just let the garage do the whole thing...I don't see why they wouldn't fit a used part, though they probably won't guarantee it.

• Like 2

Confirmed as failed unfortunately, it was regassed to check it wasn't just that and it still didn't work unfortunately. I've heard some places may do it for free, and I'll see if anyone can do me a guide as I'd like to have a go at doing something myself.

So am I ok to use a second hand compressor then, pas I don't want to spend £500 on a brand new one on a 12 year old car.

Sorry, I missed the reply.  Yes, a second hand compressor is fine, though I'd want one with a warranty personally!

You may be able to get the gas removed for free as long as you return to the same place and pay to have it gassed afterwards.  It really is very easy to change so I doubt you'll find a guide.  After removing the drive belt, carefully remove the pipes and electric plug on the compressor.  Then it literally is just held to the engine with a few nuts.  When fitting the pipes to the new compressor, make sure you use new seals and ideally add a bit of PAG oil to help them seal as well.

Comes with a 90 day warranty, and I think I'll just get it all done at the garage as it'll only be £85 including the de gas and the regas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the compressor works BUT a hose exploded when it got to pressure which is another £102 from Ford. Obviously dried out due to not being used recently *sigh* apparently it’s a very common failure on these.

Have you had the cambelt done? I remember reading a thread about how a lot of places when doing the cambelt need to drop the engine slightly, but in doing so stretch one of the AC hoses...

Can't remember what car it applied to though...

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Have you had the cambelt done? I remember reading a thread about how a lot of places when doing the cambelt need to drop the engine slightly, but in doing so stretch one of the AC hoses...

Can't remember what car it applied to though...

Yeah, that is the Mk2 1.6 petrol Focus...  Though tbf the garage might have pulled the pipe when fitting the compressor and blamed it on age...they don't want to pay for another pipe. :lol: 

• Haha 1

I have had t done about 3-4 months ago, never knew that was a thing! It is a garage who have been very good to me in the past, so I do,trust them and they said yesterday that they'd do it half price so I guess it's not too bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

I have had t done about 3-4 months ago, never knew that was a thing! It is a garage who have been very good to me in the past, so I do,trust them and they said yesterday that they'd do it half price so I guess it's not too bad.

Hmm, 50% discount without an argument? Sounds like a guilty conscience to me...

40 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Hmm, 50% discount without an argument? Sounds like a guilty conscience to me...

I’m gonna raise it with them when it gets done on Tuesday, but what an ingenious piece of design on Ford’s part

Got it done for free, guy who did it (cambelt change) wasn't main garage bloke and he wasn't aware of issue and was quite apologetic. But the AC works great now!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club