Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ticking when trying to start Mk3 2014 1.6TDCI Zetec S

rooree

Car is suffering from intermittent issues on start up. Every week or so the car fails to start.

I get in, close the door, press the power button, wait for engine to preheat, push clutch in and press the power button again..........NO TURNOVER OF THE ENGINE. All you can hear is a click.

I have looked at connections, battery, relays, key fobs etc. I've run diagnostics as well without any error codes. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to put a piece of wire in the terminal (R10) to see if the engine turns over. This would rule out starter motor issue, correct me if I'm wrong...

I have contacted garages to see what can be done but other than start at one end of the start up system and work their way down replacing components, they can't see any other resolution which would end up being very £££££££££. They can run diagnostics but if the car is running then their machine won't pick anything up

The garage I bought it from aren't really interested as my 60 day warranty is out. I have only had the car 4 months. All they are offering is half an hour free of charge in the workshop to plug in diagnostics. Anyone know where I stand with this? Surely they have sold me a car not fit for purpose?

It seems to be an issue several people have experienced so if anyone has some other ideas for me please fire away!

Bit of  dull suggestion but try disconnecting the battery for half hour then reconnect.

• Like 1

I suspect a duff battery. If your car is as your profile the chances are it's still the original battery,  are your journeys short? 

@pragmatix even though car starts after leaving it 12hrs or so from failed start? Journeys are varied but in general quite short in the working week. However on Saturday I took the car in a 3 hour drive, short 10 mins on Sunday then yesterday (Monday) it failed to start.

1 hour ago, rooree said:

@pragmatix even though car starts after leaving it 12hrs or so from failed start? Journeys are varied but in general quite short in the working week. However on Saturday I took the car in a 3 hour drive, short 10 mins on Sunday then yesterday (Monday) it failed to start.

It's worth checking it out a proper load test will show any problems with it,  I've had similar in the past on my Mondays always came down to the battery.

Maybe because that's not how you should start it!

DONT switch it on first, that's probably draining the battery or confusing it

Just get in, press clutch down and press button, wait for glow plug cycle (about 5 seconds on a very cold day, nothing at all normally) and it starts. no need to press button twice

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club