Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF

rg1642

A specific question here if anyone knows.

Is it illegal to remove a DPF if, when fitted, it was still an optional extra and not fitted as standard?

The wording of the law as I read it is that you cant remove it if it is fitted as standard. My 2006 Focus 2.0 tdci was originally owned by Norfolk County Council, who wishing to be super green got it fitted (they say) as an optional extra. As I am sick of stating regenerations or thrashing it in 3rd gear up the A11 I will either get shot of the car or the DPF.

One has got to go. LOL

i don't know, but is the dpf mentioned on ford etis

https://www.etis.ford.com/

I don't really know how it shows a dpf on there for cars with one, but if you can find a car on there (look at autotrader for reg numbers of suitable cars to look up) and look up yours. If the others list the dpf in all the features and yours does not then I would say you could get away with removal and keep fordetis printout as evidence.

I think you have to register on fordetis now to show the full spec (where it shows something like 100 lines of what the car did and didn't have) , a year ago it showed all this without registering.

make sure you are set to UK in preferences to get reg no lookup (I have to alter from USA to UK)

• Like 1

Cheer matey, I will do that. :)

Actually I just looked up my car and can not see that it says it has dpf but I know it has.

I don't know if part of this:   

1.5L SOHC DI TC DSL DV5FD B

indicates that it has dpf.

Emission: Euro 6 Emissions             It also says it is Euro 6 emissions, I don't know if it is as simple as Euro 6 means it has dpf and Euro 4 (IV) means it has not. 

• Like 1

Just to complicate things even more for you. you can have you car reassessed without the DPF, it wont change the tax banding (unless your car has become less efficient) 

Its a hassle and a half and it will cost quite a bit of cash depending on what mood they are in. If you took the engine out and added a new engine in without the DPF, it technically wouldn't need the full re assessment.   Its a bit of a grey area, I was I was speaking to the DVSA about doing it and from what I gather, its basically like getting a kit car certified, only easier because you haven't seriously modified the car. 

BUT the inspector may deem the DPF a major component so might force the issue of new emissions tests. 

To me it looks like one of those legal loop holes that exist but they dont want it to exist so it might cost you several hundred quid, less than a new DPF I might add,

• Like 1

The cost is the problem. The cars probably only worth a grand, so is it worth it. :(

Its a Euro 5 engine so must have a DPF   DV5FD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rg1642 said:

The cost is the problem. The cars probably only worth a grand, so is it worth it. 😞

DPF removal isn't cheap either due to the remapping needed.  Honestly you're probably best getting a petrol instead.

If your doing decent runs you shouldn't have DPF problems, my cars never do a run of less than 25 miles normally and I've never had a DPF or EGR problem.

• Like 1

yet! 

the thing will eventually result in a problem, unlike a CAT, it will fill up with ash, the question is when.  I cant understand why they didn't just make them a serviceable part...well thats not true, I know exactly why they didn't do that but still, they should have made it serviceable!

Tbf, the coated ones do last a lot longer, well over 100k if they're driven properly.  

The eolys type always were pretty inefficient, plus the eolys itself also created ash lol.

• Like 1

It's my wife's and to be honest she drives harder than me, but only 15 miles each way a day. I'll probably go petrol if it gives any more jip.

If you go on exhaust websites there are two systems for the same engine one with a dpf the others centre box / silencer instead.

Could I not trick the sensor into thinking the dpf was still connected?