Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Setup instant MPG?

Jamie Tees

Okay, I'm a bit of a eco guy right now, namely because I'm driving a crazy amount of mileage and finding it hard to save.

Okay sob story out of the way..... Is there a way to get instant MPG on the Mondeo MK4. I used to have it on my Focus and found it very handy and helpful to help me save fuel.

Any reason it's not on my car? Anyway to activate it?

Thanks

It all depends on which instrument type you have, from memory there are 3 types, what trim level is your car?

Both instant and average mpg plus plus average mph and trip are on the converse+ screen with scrolling available on the RH ok button on steering wheel.

post-52172-0-00159600-1444999423_thumb.jpg

9 hours ago, al2052 said:

Both instant and average mpg plus plus average mph and trip are on the converse+ screen with scrolling available on the RH ok button on steering wheel.

If the Ops car is only Zetec trim, I don't think he'll have the fancier Converse+ display.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, al2052 said:

That's why asked what trim level, a Zetec would be very unlikely to have convers, he might have the type 2 display which has a basic computer, but the chances are it's just the basic set up, so can't get avg consumption 

• Like 1

Not available on type 1 But is on type 2 jand on converse which is normally Titainium and above spec if you have type 2 you will have a button on one of the stalks can't remember which.

75F09071-0CCE-4428-96C8-6E94FD43337B.jpeg

which is a little odd given that the exact same cluster on the focus (style, I'm aware its on a different BUS)  has the instant average mpg... you can of course drop in a converse+ cluster, pretty sure you dont even need to reprogram, you will need to make a note of the miles differential unless you happen to find a cluster with the same miles. 

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

which is a little odd given that the exact same cluster on the focus (style, I'm aware its on a different BUS)  has the instant average mpg... you can of course drop in a converse+ cluster, pretty sure you dont even need to reprogram, you will need to make a note of the miles differential unless you happen to find a cluster with the same miles. 

He won't have the steering wheel controls so it's not a simple job.

did the mk4 mondy come without them? I thought all mk4s came with them and CC controls (in the UK at least)

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

did the mk4 mondy come without them? I thought all mk4s came with them and CC controls (in the UK at least)

Depends on the trim and spec levels and the OP is in Ireland completely different specs over there.

Microcat seems to suggest otherwise. some come with or without CC or ACC but the navigational controls appear on all of the wheels. also there doesnt appear to be another stalk with controls on and even on the type 1, you need some sort of control interface.

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Microcat seems to suggest otherwise. some come with or without CC or ACC but the navigational controls appear on all of the wheels. also there doesnt appear to be another stalk with controls on and even on the type 1, you need some sort of control interface.

I beg to differ, my 2008  Zetec had just a plain steering wheel no cruise control no mpg read out, just like the mk3s where,  early mk4s are the same and 2008 could be a 3 or a 4

Well, I cant find any part numbers for such a thing, there was a Mk3 steering wheel which looks a little like the Mk4 which didn't come with the controls on it. But I cant see anything to suggest there was a Mk4 steering wheel which came without any controls on it, it must have had something to control even the type 1 cluster....

Perhaps you had a Frankenstein model, had some bits from the mk3 and 4?

Type 1 cluster is just basic speedo, tachometer, fuel and temp, nowt to control.

• Like 1

the mk 4 Mondeo has 3 clusters available. that top one, the basic model, is the same as the IC in this video below

image.png.c647067e94b734e0db061bb5e10d48f0.png

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/300513-ford-mondeo-mk4-instrument-cluster-type-1-changeing-to-convers/

has pictures of the Mondeo mk4  type 1 cluster and shows their desire to change it to a converse+ 

are you thinking of the type 1 focus cluster? which was a thin green backlit LCD at the bottom?

Until the OP gives more information as to what his car has then this is pointless and as I said before his car is likely not to be UK spec

30 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

are you thinking of the type 1 focus cluster? which was a thin green backlit LCD at the bottom?

No I've never even been in a focus  had Mondeos since the mk1 only just changed to a C-Max

he has a mk4 2008 Mondeo zetec.with a type 1 cluster, not sure there is any more we need to know, theres no part numbers that I can see with a steering wheel without controls and that type 1 cluster does have some basic menu controls.

OP, if you have a Mondeo mk4 with the basic MK4 standard wheel, you can fit a converse+ cluster, you cant fit the newer FL converse+ clusters without installing a custom firmware which will cost about 60 quid, the newer facelift cluster will work but will show some warning lights until the custom firmware is installed.  The preFL cluster which looks like...

See the source image

this Is the one you want. I picked one up for about 70 quid. read up before purchasing, apparently there is some Frankenstein versions of later clusters which looked like a prefl but inside was a FL version, the SN should have 11 digits, I think the newer ones had 9 or 7

It's an Irish spec zetec which I believe is the same as the UK but with km clocks. Forgive me if I am wrong lol.

Sorry been busy and haven't got a chance to reply. This is the one I've got currently: 

So am I better to just switch clusters or could I just say it to a ford dealer to add it ? As I do have average fuel. 

20180525_224555.jpg

20180525_224556.jpg

20180525_224545.jpg

20180525_224550.jpg

20180525_224559.jpg

20180525_224601.jpg

20180525_224612.jpg

It might be something you can add with ELM config but I'm not sure, there is an option for trip computers...

But looking at your steering wheel, you appear to have the Standard Mk4 wheel (with the directional controls!!) so there shouldn't be any barrier in installing a Type 2 or Converse+ unit

Just remember that if you get the newer FL version of the converse+ you will been to install a paid for custom firmware to fix a few issues. the PreFL version (the one I posted a picture of) will drop in just fine. If possible try and get as later model as you can to ensure you have the 1007 firmware.

image.png.53e6e666874043935a509eaa7ad87823.png

• Like 1

Question though if I do swap it out what if my car doesn't support some features will they auto not show up on the screen or will I have to configure it somehow ?

They shouldn't be selectable but they may be present.  The converseMod guys have added a whole bunch of stuff to the firmware which looks pretty neat but its quite expensive for what it is. the last update for the preFL version is 1007, if yours doest come with that version ti might be missing some features, this can be installed with the conversemod update., its about 20 quid. if you get Facelift version (which ooks realy cool) you will need to add a the base mod found here https://www.conversmod.de/ that will set you back 60 to 200 quid depending on how much you want to install to be honest. considering this mod used to be free, I object to the blatent profiteering of it all. I'm all for rewarding effort but ffs, the costs are off the face of the earth if you want the whole works it littearlly can cost twice as much as the actual unit itself. I got a pre facelift version which came with 1007 anyway, if it didn't, id have got the 1007 update and left it at that. I couldn't justify the massive cost (albeit, it does look a fantastic cluster)   

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club