Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot rattle / Rear number plate mount rattling - fixed!

Mike's living on the Edge

Anyone suffering a rattling from the rear of the car? I was and it was driving me crazy. At first I thought it was coming from inside the boot somewhere but it turned out to be the number plate mount on the rear. The number plate was securely screwed to the number plate mount and the number plate mount screwed securely to the car. Unfortunately, the ends of the plastic mount have warped a little, meaning they sit a couple of millimetres off the paintwork. When I accelerated at low revs or went over a bump, it would rattle against the boot.

I fixed it with some high density sponge (pics below). I had to unscrew the number plate and number plate holder, pull the holder away from the car (there are a couple of clips at the bottom holding it) and create some sort of cushion. I used high density sponge for cleaning tiles since it does not absorb water that well. This can be pushed over the little pegs at the back edge of the plate holder. When you put it all back together, the sponge holds the plate holder off the paintwork. 

IMG_3206.JPG.e50223e874c9738a85588fcafabb45af.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG.32861e3482f0585aa75f5eb57b9abb3b.JPG

All back together... you can just see the sponge holding the number plate holder away from the paintwork.

I have a rattle too not sure if it's the tailgate or not . Sometimes when I close the boot you hear it click shut and you hear the motor pull the door tight but not everytime . I will look at the number plate holder first  before booking the car in . 

I also have an annoying rattle and assumed it was something in the boot but haven’t yet identified the cause. I’ll look at the plate holder now. Thanks.  

Well I’ve cut a piece of thin tool drawer foam that I had spare from my Snap On tool chest, using the number plate holder as a template. This lifts the whole plate holder off the bodywork just a smidge. Had a quick run in the car and my rattle appears to have gone. Will see if that remains over the next few days.  Cheers Mike.  

• Like 1

I thought I might not be the only one with this problem! I'm glad the post was helpful. I wonder if Ford have fixed it on the newer ST Line?? 

that's one for me to check. my rattle starts at around 70mph and not sure if its the boot area or under the car to the rear. will let u know if its this problem.

thanks

You can probably accelerate through it. It stops about 140 !!

• Haha 2

Shocks, check the rear light clusters too..my nearside one squeaks and moves a little. The offside one is fixed solidly onto the bodywork. I can't hear it when driving but it seems like another thing that may be worth checking. It was the prime suspect before I discovered the number plate holder flapping at the edges!

I had my rear lights checked last week when in the dealers as they seemed loose . I was told this is correct as they sit on rubber mountings and are held in place by one screw fixing.  I will be have my boot lid checked in 2 weeks when it goes back in for another job  . As it doesn't seem to close properly.  It shuts and seems sucure but i don't get last bit  that pulls the boot lid firmly in place every time. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Mike's living on the Edge said:

Shocks, check the rear light clusters too..my nearside one squeaks and moves a little. The offside one is fixed solidly onto the bodywork. I can't hear it when driving but it seems like another thing that may be worth checking. It was the prime suspect before I discovered the number plate holder flapping at the edges!

Hi yes I will do thanks for that. I tend to leave the boot shelf open now because its awkward to pull in place sometimes and when loading it. I wonder if that is why I'm hearing this rattle.

my to do list is getting bigger this weekend 😑

• 4 weeks later...

I had a rattle from the rear number plate, plus another rattle coming from the rear door area. Took it to local ford dealer, the number plate had a softner put between the body and rear of the number plate and at present it has stopped this rattle. The second rattle was apparently the rear door rubber stops that was badly squeaking sounding to me like a rattle, they applied grease to both stoppers and to the rubber trim going around the rear door opening, and again it seems to working.

• 3 months later...

I just cut 4 tips off of some cotton buds, 5 mins, job done, no more rattle.

2018-10-01 17.35.09.jpg

• Like 1