Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 mondeo ecoboost engine failure

Anthony86

Evening all. 

So after having the long term issue of my 12 plate mondeo ecoboost oil pressure sensor sorted - only took 3 months of being in the garage I have had the pleasure of driving it fault free for about 6 months... until 

2 weeks ago driving along the motorway, all oil and fluids were fine as I had checked them the day before, engine management light comes on. Pulled over within a mile to the services and called the AA. 

The fault they found was a misfire cylinder 1 and 3 so he had a poke around etc but could solve it. Swapped coil packs around etc and it still said cylinder 1 and 3. Towed it to the nearest warranty garage, they diagnosed it as coils packs and would replace... however phone call 3 days later to be told that the problem was still there, they have done a compression test - no compression in cylinder 1 and 3 fault being an internal valve  

They have said they will have to strip the engine down and if they can’t fix it - new engine! Thank my lucky stars for my other half nagging me to get the warranty! 

Anyone else had this issue? It’s a 12 plate on 55k. 

When this car works it is fantastic - not as much as my st220 mind  but when it doesn’t work...aaahhh!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a phone call from the garage today... turns out one of the pistons had melted to the side of engine block. They have no idea how it happened. 

As a result, brand new engine under warranty!! 

The garage have said said they will send me some pictures. I will put them up when they send them. 

• Like 1

Glad you got a result.

Great result, I can't wait to see the pictures!

After numerous calls to the garage, the warranty company have decided to send someone out to assess it tomorrow.

The car has now been in the garage 4 weeks so I’m a little annoyed that they have left it as long as this. 

The garage seem to be happy that it will he covered under warranty however the fact that it’s dragging is making me slightly nervous. I’m assuming it’s standard practise though. 

Will update tomorrow.

Had a phone call this morning. Claim has been authorised!

Apparently it was a known problem and the warranty company were looking to ford for goodwill. 

The garage I have been dealing with have so far been very good, warranty company not so quick but got the result, so that’s good. Not sure if forum rules allow naming the garage etc but will do if it’s ok  

Takes 3ish working days for the engine and then 22 hours book guide to fit. So looking 2 weeks or so... can’t wait! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your lucky (I know it might not seem it), Mrs 17plate Kuga just had the same issue of a misfire on cylinder 1 of her 1.5 EcoBoost.

The garage took it in and after a week or two said it was a valve. Then Ford got them to do a wet test which showed cylinder 1 is mullered but Ford isn't going to supply a new engine only a bottom end. The rub is it's going to take at least 2 weeks to get it built and sent to Germany, then onto the UK and then another couple of days to fit it. Looking at 6-7 weeks total and the most annoying part is nobody is prepared to say what exactly has happened/failed.

Ah that’s really bad! On a 17 plate?! Sometimes it feels like such a lottery! We’ve also got a cooper s clubman which has just had the same problem, for that back yesterday 😁

had a phone call this morning to say the car is all tested and ready... going off to get it this afternoon so fingers crossed it’s all sorted! 

When the fuel pressure switch needed replacing it had to be built and sent to Germany, waited about 3 months. In the end I kicked up a stink with ford customer relations and they sped up the process. Might be worth ringing them. 

Hope you get it sorted soon! 

• Like 1

Aye, a 17 plate with only 4000miles (yes four thousand) that was serviced six weeks prior by a main dealer. And having looked at facebook/daily mail/the times ford now have a large lawsuit heading there way over so many EcoBoost failures 😞

Hope yours is all sorted 🤞

Cars a Motability car so not sure if we can kick off at Ford customer relations or if we'd need to get mobility to do so. Either way, it sucks 😞

31 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Aye, a 17 plate with only 4000miles (yes four thousand) that was serviced six weeks prior by a main dealer. And having looked at facebook/daily mail/the times ford now have a large lawsuit heading there way over so many EcoBoost failures 😞

Hope yours is all sorted 🤞

Cars a Motability car so not sure if we can kick off at Ford customer relations or if we'd need to get mobility to do so. Either way, it sucks 😞

Motability will sort it they are very good that way.

Anthony86 - is yours all sorted now?   did you get photos to put on here.

Hi. Sorry, only just got in. 

Sooo...

picked it up at about 3pm via a lift, then train, then taxi lol. With a small child in tow! 

Good handover, Car looked nice and clean, they’d also topped it up with a full tank which was nice. 

Pulled away to do the 90 mile journey, all good until about 10 miles from home, engine management light came on. No problems with the car, no loss of power etc. Pulled over, phoned AA. 

They were out pretty quick, plugged it in ODB read 3x errors. 

PO32616 knock sensor 1 signal too low

PO33116 Knock sensor 2 signal too low

P218700 lambda control at idle mixture too lean  

AA man had a fiddle with the car, couldn’t see a fault, felt it might have been a plug not in fully, cleared the faults went for a spin no more errors. 

AA think it might have just been settling in, advised to let dealer know and to call again if any more issues  

have since been out again and it’s fine so fingers crossed! 

Pics to follow... 

I can never get a photo that makes it look as good as I think it does in person... 

ignore the scratch... that would be other half vs car park pillar. 

You cant see much engine wise but it’s all nice and shiney underneath 😁

F3854D58-4E50-46E2-B5B1-9F7A29929654.jpeg

5D3BD457-0572-470A-A31D-ADF3CB573A72.jpeg

4B53924B-6938-4EE2-88D2-E52D3DA3E8B5.jpeg

6EC272DA-0DDF-46BE-8BCD-8D137618AFBF.jpeg

BEC3F9C5-2129-440C-9272-0D9F1D7AF356.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi, no, for the pics, I meant in your post 30 May it mentioned you were getting pics of the engine damage

"The garage have said said they will send me some pictures. I will put them up when they send them. "  I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing what happened

Ah yes... those pics. Nope not got them yet, waiting for them to send them to me. I have left them my emaiL address, soon as they’re through ill pop them up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the oxygen sensor was playing up, hence drinking fuel! Going back next week to have it changed... mainly due to work constraints and getting to the garage. 

Fingers crossed it should all be sortfor d after that. 

Mechanic queried wether it has been remapped too, which would be interesting, (it does have a full SS power flow exhaust, so I’m going to get in touch with remap company in Yeovil and see what they can do, they’ve got a rolling road and do custom remaps etc. Won’t get it remapped until warranty runs out if it hasn’t been though. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few minor issues with the garage...

Finally have the car back... all now seems good!! Turns out the small issues that needed to be dealt with were bank 1 AND 2 02 sensors. 

Picked the car up today and it’s better than ever! Even averaged 34 mpg on the way home... hurrah! 

The guy that I had been dealing with has been made redundant, new chap has taken over and has assured me he will send the paperwork including photos of damage etc. 

Will post up as soon as soon as I have them. 

For now, I shall be out enjoying my (new) toy!

Appreciate all the comments/suggestions!