Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 central locking

Fordfootforward

Hi, 

my 3 button long blade car key has stopped unlocking my car... it locks and undoes the boot but unlock grrr.....

i know it’s probably the key’s contact points but I wondered whether the immobiser that receives the signal from the key can go bad? 

Cheers

17 hours ago, Fordfootforward said:

Hi, 

my 3 button long blade car key has stopped unlocking my car... it locks and undoes the boot but unlock grrr.....

i know it’s probably the key’s contact points but I wondered whether the immobiser that receives the signal from the key can go bad? 

Cheers

The immobiliser is a separate "passive" chip inside the key, it gets it's power from the transponder ring around the ignition barrel. It has nothing to do with the internal central locking electronics.

Edit: Re-reading your question, the internal module would probably fail to work entirely than just fail to unlock - if you turn the key in the drivers door lock, do all the doors unlock as they should? Keys are abused, afaik you can get a new RCL circuit board and just swap that into your own key, and re-program it to the car if the button is faulty.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Micro, 

Thanks for your reply, I’m sorry I have only see this. When I turn the key in my driver’s door everything unlocks (3door) 

Shortly after originally posting about this months ago my key suddenly started to work again. It did have a few hit and misses though... 

1. When just undoing the boot (using button) the alarm would go off, then wouldn’t unlock using key so had to turn key in door then put into ignition to turn of the alarm! 

2. Next day everything is working fine, unlock works every time although it seems quite slow if that makes sense, when I lock it’s bang, locked, quickly but when I unlock it almost seems reluctant to like someone moving a bolt very slowly.

3. Today... decided that the problem must be remote coin battery, never changed since car new 2007! So popped in a brand new top of the range battery!! Only to discover when I took key apart that unlock switch on circuit board had come away completely! thankfully have a fairly well stocked garage and soldered switch back into place.. all fits back together into remote. Everything works but it will not unlock!! 

Please can anyone help, do you have to reset the key using the ignition on and off technique when you put a new battery in? 

Thank you for reading! 

Fordfootforward

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club