Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 powershift

Dave1981

Further to my previous post bout the kind person who rear ended me, the car has been recovered and I'm currently driving bout in a 17reg fiesta ecoboost, nice car act. 

Anyway, going on worse case scenario and its a total loss, ive seen a 13 plate 1.6 zetec with 33k on the clock. Full service history 1 owner, but it's the powershift model. 

I've heard the odd thing bout powershift but is it as bad as ppl say or was it just the odd one that failed. Or am I best avoiding a powershif totally should I have to change cars. 

Replacing a 2.0 Titanium with a 1.6 Zetec sounds like a massive downgrade before getting as far as the gearbox!? :unsure:

Is it the EcoBoost or Ti-VCT?

ford extended the warranty to 5 years on these DSG boxes   but 2013 and may 2018 sounds too tight, if the owner can't show it was just sorted already

• Thanks 1

We're they all subject to a recall? Or was it just a certain age range? I've heard horror stories of the clutch going due to being a dry clutch of somat.. never really paid much attention as I always had a manual. 

It's the TI-VCT version.

Yes going from a 2.0 Titanium to a 1.6 Zetec is a drop, but I only got my MK 2.5 as was a bargain at the time. I'm holding out hope it can be repaired as money I've got in it I'll not get back.

Sound system alone is worth £1k.

17 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Sound system alone is worth £1k.

I’d have ripped that out before they took it away, it was a declared mod wasn’t it?

It was and I got the stereo out but didn't have time to remove the Speakers.

When I told them I'd changed the stereo they tried to tell me it was a performance mod hahaha.. had a long conversation about that with them.

• Haha 1

Nice one, yeah think I'll steer clear don't wanna risk it! 

my understanding....   on early car's there a manu fault that causes a seal to leak putting oil on the clutch, so it judders just like any car will (with oil leaking on the clutch)... these should get a new gearbox

later cars were less bad at leaking oil... but there is a better friction material used now, so you might get a new clutch if the seal isn't an issue

all cars need a software update so it less stress and strain

UK cars have box and clutch covered by an extended 5 year warranty

from a build date in 2016 all cars are sorted

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think my powershift has this problem , when pressing has its starts jumping little bit and then when around 3 gear its all fine , anyone has this problem

i did lots of input shaft seals ,clutch packs, software updates, clutch biting point relearns, new gearboxes. etc etc.

this was one of many clutch packs and seals i did

2015-03-18 11.00.43.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

@iantt Ouch!

yeah , no one else at work wanted to do them, so i ended having to do them. not technically difficult but time consuming getting it apart and new one fitted and aligned/reset with the clutch forks/motors just right. quite a few special tools involved.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:15 AM, iantt said:

yeah , no one else at work wanted to do them, so i ended having to do them. not technically difficult but time consuming getting it apart and new one fitted and aligned/reset with the clutch forks/motors just right. quite a few special tools involved.

A bit like the "special tool" that designed it? :wacko:

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, Botus said:

my understanding....   on early car's there a manu fault that causes a seal to leak putting oil on the clutch, so it judders just like any car will (with oil leaking on the clutch)... these should get a new gearbox

later cars were less bad at leaking oil... but there is a better friction material used now, so you might get a new clutch if the seal isn't an issue

all cars need a software update so it less stress and strain

UK cars have box and clutch covered by an extended 5 year warranty

from a build date in 2016 all cars are sorted

Might be sorted. However if i'm spending my own money, then 1,5 years to wait if it really is sorted or not would be too little time for me to risk it.

• 2 months later...

Diesel cars don't have the same issue as they run a wet clutch system.