Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittant Engine Malfunction on Dash

guy woodbridge

Hi there. My Focus cc3 has been fantastic and have had very few issues with it. However this week I have been getting Intermittent Engine Malfunction on Dash display. This is only on start up, it never happens while driving. There is No engine management light on at all. Car runs perfectly fine with no issues.  Its very strange. I drive 15 mins to work and the same on the way home. I have also done longer journeys recently so wouldn't  expect a DPF not completing a clear out.

Have done the dash test but no codes showing at all. Have ordered an adapater for my laptop and will install forscan once it arrrives to have a look for any codes.

Any thoughts out there? As I say car runs fine issues. can be a day or so until the malfunction warning comes on, then clears on a restart.

Thanks in advance for you replies, I do appreciate it!

Without a bit more to go on, it'll probably be a case of waiting until you can plug in and run Forscan when it misbehaving.

Hiya, yes Deffo 🙂 cable has arrived. WIll try and have a look at it after work tomorrow (Saturday)

• Like 1

Ok had a look. No faults really showing. Not sure what to do next? Car runs fine, when the erroe comes up on tghe dash I press the reset button on the stork and it goes away. Just an illuminated "i" in centre of console.

car has now failed to start. Dash codes D900 & D147. Think this is something to do with the fusebox and immoboliser?

I had the same king of problem with my mk1 cmax 

Engine malfunction light on it intermittently.

Wouldn't start and loss power sometimes.

Mine stopped when I unplugged an obd I had left plugged in.

Apparently theres a fault with the Dash's themselves and they need to be resolder.

Try giving the dash a bang when it happens again.

I'm not sure if the issue would be the same yours is newer model but Worth a try

Hiya forscan is what i think caused my car to crap out. Just had AA out. He cleared aload of codes and got the car running again. It seems the main culprit for my issues is this code p2585

Additive system warning lamp. Im guessing this means the eolys system needs topping up?

what elm327 adaptor did you get? forscan wont cause the problem, the adaptor might

• Like 1

I'm almost certain its the adapter as it said it wasnt working properly on forscan. I can remember exactly what it said. However that was what caused the car to flip out.

thanks for the replies Guys 🙂

• Like 1

Does anyone know if these lights can be used, if so what is required to get them working? thanks.

IMG_2388.JPG

3 hours ago, guy woodbridge said:

Hiya forscan is what i think caused my car to crap out. Just had AA out. He cleared aload of codes and got the car running again. It seems the main culprit for my issues is this code p2585

Additive system warning lamp. Im guessing this means the eolys system needs topping up?

I just wrote another post warning about dodgy ELMs, there are plenty about! Forscan itself is usually a very reliable & quite safe program (if you read the screen before pressing ok!), but the adapters vary massively. Where did you get it from?

Many people here recommend this one: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

The Eolys system usually works by counting doses delivered from the last time it was reset, mean old Ford did not usually bother to fit a level sensor. But basically yes, the car thinks the tank is low, so it needs checking (not easy!), and probably filling up and resetting.

If it does run out of fluid, then the DPF can be irreversibly blocked by unburnable soot. The Eolys is supposed to combine with the soot as it forms in the cylinder, and reduce its ignition temperature. Soot formed without fluid may be impossible to burn without damaging the DPF.

You do not have any DPF warning messages yet, so hopefully the DPF is ok.

• Like 2

As peter said, I highly recommend that one, the bluetooth one is fine for checking the basics but I us a USB one for anything more serious such as review traces and programming the car. 

cheers guys! The warning is still intermittent which is weird? Maybe its really low on fluid but not out totally? I get married this coming weekend and am doing very little miles in the car. So all our money is tied up! Once we get from our honeymoon ill bung it straight into the garage and get it looked at.

• Like 2

guessing approx £100 to sort out? (EOLYS top up)

3 hours ago, guy woodbridge said:

I get married this coming weekend and am doing very little miles in the car. So all our money is tied up! Once we get from our honeymoon ill bung it straight into the garage and get it looked at.

You have more important things to do right now than worry about Eolys! Enjoy the wedding!

The Eolys tank is only used when you fill up with diesel, then a dose is added to the fuel tank. So just try to get it booked in before the next major fill up. It may be best to get it done at a dealer or trustworthy garage that does this regularly, there are some dodgy short cuts, like the wrong fluid, that a less experienced or untrustworthy garage might take.

• Like 4

Cheers dude. Ill do that

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, ILR75 said:

Does anyone know if these lights can be used, if so what is required to get them working? thanks.

IMG_2388.JPG

Start a new topic. Don't gatecrash another one with a subject which is completely irrelevant to yours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. Back from Honeymoon! was amazing!

Ok so i am looking around to get my car booked in early next week for the ELOYS top up. Can anyone give me an idea on what it will cost? Asking as want to go with the best quote etc. Many thanks again. I am hoping around the £100 mark as have a spare £200 so could factor in a basic service too.

ok have car booked in for a basic service and ELOYS top up at local garage. Hope this will sort it. A bit concerned as have read that it needs a Ford Stearlership  to clear and reset the ECU?

Edited by guy woodbridge
typos

2 hours ago, guy woodbridge said:

A bit concerned as have read that it needs a Ford Stearlership  to clear and reset the ECU?

There is a procedure in the Haynes manual to reset the Eolys counter, a long sequence of filler flap openings & ignition cycles. However, there is a note that it may only work if the warning light for low fluid is not already on.

Forscan can reset the system, there should be a service procedure in its list to do this.

So there should be options to having a greedy, monopolistic, dealership having to do the job. It must be done, however. There is, as far as I know, no actual level sensor. So it relies on being informed that the tank is full, then counts the amount pumped into the fuel to determine when it is empty.

The Eolys system has its own "intelligent" module, that keeps track of all this, and this, rather the the actual ECU, is most likely what needs to be reset. Though that is a technicality which makes no difference to the owner, of course.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Out of interest, once the EOLYS is topped up, will it start getting pumped into the fuel tank straight away? or will it need to be reset first?

5 hours ago, guy woodbridge said:

Out of interest, once the EOLYS is topped up, will it start getting pumped into the fuel tank straight away? or will it need to be reset first?

Purely a guess, but based on some experience of other systems. I think it will stop pumping once its counter registers empty, then it will have no knowledge of any fluid being physically added until the procedure to reset it is carried out, which is when it will start pumping again.

You could add one of a variety of DPF fluids to the fuel tank in the meantime, manually. I seem to recall that Wynns DPF fluid (or some similar fluid) contains cerium oxide, which is the essential ingredient in Eolys. If not listed in an ingredients list, try downloading the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) as this is sometimes more informative. It is quite important to keep adding this cerium oxide in order to avoid long term damage to the DPF. An occasional double dose will do no harm.

• Like 1

Hi pal. Ive already done that ;-). Was one of the first things I did. Ive looked at the cars history. The ELOYS was topped up in 2016. This was done at a regular garage and not a stealership, so fingers crossed . However ive done at least 20k since then plus looks like another 10k was done before that. so my guess is that it is at the 30k ish top up interval. Anyway its going into the garage on Tuesday morning. Hopefully will be sorted then

• Like 1