Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can anyone recommend an OBD reader

MondyMitch

I'm looking to buy an OBD2 reader for my Mk4.5 Mondeo. Just interested in reading error codes without forking out a huge bill from a Ford garage.

I'm looking to buy an OBD2 reader for my Mk4.5 Mondeo. Just interested in reading error codes without forking out a huge bill from a Ford garage.
I've got a bluetooth jobbie and got the Torque App on my phone.. Works brilliant

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Which one?

Which one?
Anyone from eBay should do it.. Over a fiver as cheaper ones might not work

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

If you have a lap top then Forscan is what you need. It's a dedicate ford system. free download and the you need a modified ELM  connector a unmodified one can't read all the codes.

download here http://www.forscan.org/download.html

Elm connector https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

tunnelrat are the best Elm I have come across plenty of cheap copies out there but don't buy they fail. Also FORScan has a support forum

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

If you have a lap top then Forscan is what you need. It's a dedicate ford system. free download and the you need a modified ELM  connector a unmodified one can't read all the codes.

download here http://www.forscan.org/download.html

Elm connector https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

tunnelrat are the best Elm I have come across plenty of cheap copies out there but don't buy they fail. Also FORScan has a support forum

This, ive purchased several version of the devices they sell over the years and had contact with the owner about unreleased products and they have all been flawless, even the switchable bluetooth MS/HS adaptor works a treat and is the one I use the most unless programming the car, if I'm programing I used the USB. 

I highly recommend staying away from cheap eBay units, ive experienced issues and I know of many others who have as well, the most notable one was coming back to my car one day to an engine malfunction warning, the adaptor has messed up the power steering control, managed to fix t but had to disconnect the battery and leave for half an hour before it worked, so please do yourself a favour. get the one Pete linked to above. I'm not affiliated with him if your wondering 🙂 just dont want you panicking if you brought a dud!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

i also have one from tunnelrat. they are not expensive. i felt it was better to buy one from recomendation on these ford forums rather than the cheapest on eBay. I have the USB one with the switch added. Use it in conjunction with my laptop.  If you use it with a laptop as opposed to a phone you can use better software 

The bluetooth / wifi version has a slight delay which can be annoying if your trying to monitor something more precisely. You can easily see it if you monitor the RPM and compare that to the cluster. So for anything serious, I use the USB one. in fact I just picked up a new one from TunnelRats the other day, its an Auto HS MS switching one 🙂 yes I am that lazy. Works a treat! 😄