Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New MOT Rules Today

TomsFocus

For those that still don't know, the new MOT rules come in today!

I wonder how many 15 plate diesels have already failed the new smoke test... :laugh:

There have been a few cars in for their mot early lol. 

Straight away there must be tens of thousands of cars that will never pass another mot now.

Not very 'green' is it? Scrapping perfectly good cars(hence new cars being built with all the carbon footprint attached to it) just because of a small amount of smoke! 

• Like 1

Is it today or the 28th? Hope my car passes

Am I correct in thinking the diesel smoke thing is only relevant to cars with DPF fitted? ie if it was fitted when new you have to have it AND there has to be no visible smoke? 

Yeah it's today.  

Mine is due at the end of the June and I must admit I was tempted to put it in early and lose the 'anniversary' date.  But left it too late now lol. :unsure: 

There is still a metered smoke test as well as the visual check, it's taken from the manufacturers plate value on most modern cars.  The plate value on the Mk3 1.6TDCi is 0.55 for anyone wondering...  The previous limit was 1.5!  Zain you'll be fine, you're allowed 3.0 on a 2006 turbo diesel! :laugh: 

• Like 2

Has anyone been through this yet? is it any different from the previous iteration? I dreaded the old mot now that they’ve introduced this it’s even more of a worry going for it.

It's not that much different, stop worrying. To be fair your vehicle should be roadworthy at all times , not just for an MOT. So as long as you keep your car looked after/serviced it shouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 2

I bet all the drivers that have stripped out their DPF are pooping themselves now.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iantt said:

It's not that much different, stop worrying. To be fair your vehicle should be roadworthy at all times , not just for an MOT. So as long as you keep your car looked after/serviced it shouldn't be an issue. 

I wouldn't class a few more particulates as unroadworthy or even noticeable though, a 14 plate Focus DV6 has already failed smoke test on the facebook page.  I'm fine with tyres, bulbs, wipers etc...it's things that are only testable at the MOT like emissions and headlight alignment that worry me every time.  Especially as the smoke test fail is now a 'dangerous' fault where you're not meant to leave the testing station.  I'm trying to find a reasonable one within walking distance, just in case.  Trouble is, I've failed on silly things at local places before, as well as spending twice as much on the test to start with.  Remember the altercation I had with the broken Fiesta tilt handle back in 2016? :rolleyes:   

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I bet all the drivers that have stripped out their DPF are pooping themselves now.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Or maybe they've sold their cars and bought a pre-DPF diesel instead. :whistling: 

• Like 1

Why should you worry about headlight alignment? Once set up the aim shouldn't change . Also the testing criteria was changed some time ago and made passing the aim test more likely. 

Emmisions isn't a dangerous fault, should be a major I think.

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Why should you worry about headlight alignment? Once set up the aim shouldn't change . Also the testing criteria was changed some time ago and made passing the aim test more likely. 

Because it's something I can't prove either way.  My Mum, Aunt and a few mates have all failed beam alignment at different garages around here, and been charged about £30 to adjust it!  Maybe I'm just sceptical but I don't believe they can all be out...  My Mk2 also failed it's first MOT for it (before I bought it)...either Ford hadn't set it up properly and no-one had noticed for 3 years or something dodgy happened there... :unsure: 

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Emmisions isn't a dangerous fault, should be a major I think.

Yeah, sorry, my bad.  Just checked, it's 'excessive smoke likely to obscure other road users' that's a dangerous fail...  Smoke above manufacturers limit was just a major.  Both were listed on a mates fail sheet on Sunday. :laugh: 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Remember the altercation I had with the broken Fiesta tilt handle back in 2016? :rolleyes:  

Definitely hate the seat tilt handles on the mk6 fiestas. Thankfully haven't had one snap on me but because it's a common problem I always have to get out my car and push the seat handle if i have more than one passenger. I use one hand to push the handle until it clips the seat then I use my other hand holding the headrest to push it forward. A lot of people normally just use one hand on the handle and push the seat forward whilst putting force on the handle. 

35 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Definitely hate the seat tilt handles on the mk6 fiestas. Thankfully haven't had one snap on me but because it's a common problem I always have to get out my car and push the seat handle if i have more than one passenger. I use one hand to push the handle until it clips the seat then I use my other hand holding the headrest to push it forward. A lot of people normally just use one hand on the handle and push the seat forward whilst putting force on the handle. 

Mine was broken when I bought the car...its not like I have passengers! :laugh:  It isn't an MOT fail, but the tester I went to wouldn't believe me and I hate confrontation so ended up paying for another test elsewhere.

Had my MOT the day before it was due to change.

Got the new style MOT certificate though with three "Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories)" notices:

• Offside front shock absorber has a light misting of oil
  • Offside front tyre worn close to the legal limit
  • Nearside front tyre worn close to the legal limit

Quite like the new style of MOT cert.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, sorry, my bad.  Just checked, it's 'excessive smoke likely to obscure other road users' that's a dangerous fail...  Smoke above manufacturers limit was just a major.  Both were listed on a mates fail sheet on Sunday. :laugh: 

crikey, thats alot of smoke then to obscure the other road users vision!!! what car was it? 

3 hours ago, iantt said:

crikey, thats alot of smoke then to obscure the other road users vision!!! what car was it? 

Trouble is that's down to testers discretion I guess, as you say it'd have to be a lot to obscure other cars!  

Not sure which car it was but presumably one with a gutted DPF and cheap remap lol.

Screenshot_20180524-215245.png

I'm starting to hate these low emissions zones which are going to come into play within London in 2022. I sadly might not be able to keep the fez if I'm going to be charged £12 for driving it. Luckily I don't have to pay anything now but don't know what car I'd have to get then😢

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

I'm starting to hate these low emissions zones which are going to come into play within London in 2022. I sadly might not be able to keep the fez if I'm going to be charged £12 for driving it. Luckily I don't have to pay anything now but don't know what car I'd have to get then😢

Tbf for low mileage London driving an electric car would work well...  :tongue:

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf for low mileage London driving an electric car would work well...  :tongue:

Yeah but I don't have that kind of money to spend on getting a electric car sadly. I'd say £3000 is the most I'd spent on getting a car 😢

It's 4 years away, you might have won the lottery by then lol.

You'll probably have to go for a small petrol in reality though.  Mk7.5 EcoBoost Fiestas will have lost most of thier value by then I reckon.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club