Do Not Sell My Personal Information

should i change the head gasket or rocker

jayrob84

hi guys im new to this forum. ive recently brought me a 2001 mk4 endura e 1.3 fiesta for dirt cheap . i brought it as ago between and to practice/teach myself mechanics on .  it looks to me like there is some oil seeping out of the head of the engine although there is no oil on the floor where it it parked for over night . should i change the head gasket or rocker ? what  is the difference between the 2 ? thanks 

also were can i download a owners manual for it ?

The rocker gasket is higher up than the head gasket.  Lake a picture of the one that's leaking and we'll tell you which it is. :smile: 

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The rocker gasket is higher up than the head gasket.  Lake a picture of the one that's leaking and we'll tell you which it is. :smile: 

rsz_dsc_0013.jpg

That is the rocker gasket.  The rocker cover is the is the part with the Endura E written on it.  Very simple to fix that.

The head gasket is much further down, it goes between the engine block (with the pistons) and the cylinder head (with the valves and spark plugs etc) and a is a much bigger job to change.

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That is the rocker gasket.  The rocker cover is the is the part with the Endura E written on it.  Very simple to fix that.

The head gasket is much further down, it goes between the engine block (with the pistons) and the cylinder head (with the valves and spark plugs etc) and a is a much bigger job to change.

thanks mate for the straight and simple answer. i really appreciate it . any idea where i could get a free owners manual download ?

No worries.  You can get owners manuals online from Ford, but if you're after a workshop manual like a Haynes I don't know of any free downloads.  You might be able to get a physical one used for about a fiver on eBay or gumtree.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No worries.  You can get owners manuals online from Ford, but if you're after a workshop manual like a Haynes I don't know of any free downloads.  You might be able to get a physical one used for about a fiver on ebay or gumtree.

are the bolts on the top re usable because i read somewhere that certain bolts are not ? also any other advice when changing it would be great ?

ive found a haynes for 2 quid its the manual i cant find . ive been on the ford site and there no fiesta option for some reason 

Yeah, those bolts are re-useable.  It's things like head bolts which aren't as they stretch when tightened.  Not sure what other advice I could give really, don't over-tighten the bolts or it'll start leaking again, and the HT leads to go back on the correct order so might be worth numbering them before removal.  

Yeah you're right, no Fiesta manual before 2005 online, weird!  

On 5/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, those bolts are re-useable.  It's things like head bolts which aren't as they stretch when tightened.  Not sure what other advice I could give really, don't over-tighten the bolts or it'll start leaking again, and the HT leads to go back on the correct order so might be worth numbering them before removal.  

Yeah you're right, no Fiesta manual before 2005 online, weird!  

whats this type of oil cap mate ? i cant open it . is it not meant to be opened ? is that stuff meant to be inside it ? 

rsz_dsc_0019.jpg

rsz_dsc_0023.jpg

It doesn't need to be opened as such, just pulled off as you've found out, you pour the oil in underneath it. 

The pipes are part of the oil breather system, that stuff is wire wool (or similar) which separates the oil from the air, oil goes back into the engine, air goes through the intake system

On 5/24/2018 at 1:12 PM, TomsFocus said:

It doesn't need to be opened as such, just pulled off as you've found out, you pour the oil in underneath it. 

There's a bad smell coming through the vents in the cabin.  Only when the temp is on hot and only if I'm stationary or moving slow. Any idea what it could be or how I can fix it. 

10 hours ago, jayrob84 said:

There's a bad smell coming through the vents in the cabin.  Only when the temp is on hot and only if I'm stationary or moving slow. Any idea what it could be or how I can fix it. 

What does it smell of?  Is it a sort of musty wet dog smell?  Hot oil engine smell?  Or hot coolant/rubber sort of smell?

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What does it smell of?  Is it a sort of musty wet dog smell?  Hot oil engine smell?  Or hot coolant/rubber sort of smell?

I'd say hot engine or hot coolant smell

It's probably the oil on your engine from the rocker gasket leak.  Get some degreaser or brake cleaner and wash it all off and see if the smell is still there.

Hot coolant smell isn't unusual though the heaters, but make sure the floor isn't getting wet which would indicate a leak on the heater matrix.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's probably the oil on your engine from the rocker gasket leak.  Get some degreaser or brake cleaner and wash it all off and see if the smell is still there.

Hot coolant smell isn't unusual though the heaters, but make sure the floor isn't getting wet which would indicate a leak on the heater matrix.

The floors not getting wet but I find it strange that it only seems to be when I put the heat on.  When it's on cold it's OK.  But like I said I smell it when I'm stationary.  And the engine has to of been on a while