Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the best way to even out tyre wear?

nitten_traveller

Hi all,

Costco have an offer this month on Goodyear tyres (four Goodyear Efficient Grip, fitted, for £350, plus I have a further £20 discount voucheer), which made me think about changing mine.  However, I checked them last night and they still have quite a bit of tread left.  Three are original tyres, one is newer.  The car is a 63 plate Focus 1.0 Ecoboost which I inherited last year.  I just passed 20,000 miles last week (was about 15,000 when I got it).  I suppose something happened to the NSF tyre as it was replaced in early 2016. The tyre details are

OSF 3.5 mm (date code 0216)

NSF 5.5 mm (5012)

OSR 5 mm (5012)

NSR 5 mm (5012)

Size is 215/55R16. All are the original Continental Premium Contact, except for the NSR which is Eco Contact.  It must be softer than the others as it seems to be wearing more quickly given its youth. 

They're all in excellent nick, sidewalls look fine, they hold their pressure well, no change since I last checked over a month ago.  So I don't think it's worth replacing them.  Is it worth having them rotated?  I used to live in the USA and folks rotated tyres basically every six months but as far as I know it's not common here. 

I'm not bothered if they all have to be replaced at once.  In fact, I'd prefer it (and will save the cash!) which is why I want to slow down the wear of the OSF tyre. 

Any advice will be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

if your got a tyre on the front on 3.5mm and another at 5.5mm

personally i would replace them, to match the back (same speed and load rating)

but you have a mis-match tyre on the back ?

id replace all 4 (but that's just me)

then get wheel alignment and tracking checked

Actually I mucked things up in that post and can't see how to edit it. It should be:

OSF 3.5 mm (date code 5012)

NSF 5.5 mm (0216)

OSR 5 mm (5012)

NSR 5 mm (5012) 

Size is 215/55R16. All are the original Continental Premium Contact, except for the NSF which is Eco Contact.  It must be softer than the others as it seems to be wearing more quickly given its youth.  There is minor damage to the NSF rim which presumably is why the tyre was replaced in 2016. 

I think I will end up replacing all of them together and then have the joy of trying to decide if I stick with Continental or go for another tyre brand!

i prefer my Dunlops to the continentals i had

but Michelin PS4 is the way to go, but they might be a bit noisier 

The Costco offer isn't all that great, they're cheaper at F1 Autocentres and you can choose the amount rather than having to get 4.  Personally I'd move the 5mm's forward and just replace the other two.  

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The Costco offer isn't all that great, they're cheaper at F1 Autocentres and you can choose the amount rather than having to get 4.  Personally I'd move the 5mm's forward and just replace the other two.  

Unfortunately F1 Autocentres don't exist in Midlothian.  Closest is in Bolton!  But I agree when I looked into it a bit more the Costco offer wasn't particularly special.  I found out last week that my dad got four half price Michelin tyres for his Golf at Kwik Fit thanks to some sort of flash sale, but he did have to go there at 6am to get the discount...

57 minutes ago, nitten_traveller said:

Unfortunately F1 Autocentres don't exist in Midlothian.  Closest is in Bolton!  But I agree when I looked into it a bit more the Costco offer wasn't particularly special.  I found out last week that my dad got four half price Michelin tyres for his Golf at Kwik Fit thanks to some sort of flash sale, but he did have to go there at 6am to get the discount...

For that sort of discount it's worth getting up early! :biggrin:  How did he find out about that?

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

For that sort of discount it's worth getting up early! :biggrin:  How did he find out about that?

I think they just sent him a flyer, maybe it was just a local branch offer.  Get there at 7, 50% off.  At 8 the discount was 1/3 and at 9 it was 25% off.  He decided to get there early "just in case" and was 12th in the queue!

• Like 1