Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FAULTY TURBO???

J Strahan

Right guys and girls, was mid journey in my 14 focus 1.6 ecoboost 180. First half of the run was fine... came to a stop then accelerated (not harsh at all) and all of a sudden with no sign of smoke, bang, warning light. No turbo... at all? 

Took it to a garage the day after and he checked for fault codes... he said 2 came up and he cleared the faults. Took it for a spin and the turbo kicked in again but then stopped. 

Checked all the intake pipes an they are fine.. the fault code that came back was something about a cooling bypass valve? I dont know how this would affect the turbo? Feels like its in limp mode.

Any ideas? Cant see it being the turbo because clearing a fault wont make it work again ?

Cheers 

Hey man, so i actually made the account so i could share, probably the same thing, with you and rest of folks. So I have Focus 2012, 1.6 ecoboost, nothing special, super cool ride. Would like to point out, I did reading and researched as how to best drive cars with a turbo. So i did cca. 20000kms nothing special happens. So the first service came up and i said to guys at Ford garage to make it a good one, money doesn't matter. 

When i got the car back it drove better as normal, more "fluidly" worked super, that was not for long. I went to my sister that lives around 100 km away, on the back trip ***** hit the fan. Driving 70-80 kmph in fifth gear, suddenly car begins to jack or stutter, so i downshift, doesn't improve, downshift to 3rd gear and drop speed to around 50 kmph, car begins to drive normally the " Engine failure, please service " light comes up. So I called a friend with experiences in mechanics, other than ford mechanic, and he said, in my opinion, you could still drive but don't expect any good speeds so to say. I drove home, next day i turn the car on NO FREAKING WARNING LIGHT, the turbo doesn't work, and start-stop doesn't work. Went to Ford garage, mechanic drives around with it, says nothing is wrong even though he felt that he ain't getting the acceleration. 

So now i am basically waiting that something goes absolutely wrong, if it will ever, while I wait for my friends' garage to free some time for diagnostics on my car. 

If anyone here had their turbo failed, and car drives, but without the damn ecoboost, can you please share on what was the problem perhaps.

It is not the turbo that is faulty, it will be a sensor that has failed. Take it to a garage and have a data logger attached to see what is happening when driving and it will be a reading from a sensor that isn't right. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well Mike, as it happens entire turbo is now garbage... like most of ford cars... I asked this person as why would that happen, he said that Ford uses the best materials on the world... just kidding, because the stock turbo is simply made from garbage found around the factory. The codes given by computer are across the board, mainly 7 codes are only turbo based, furthermore, to update my current situation, i think that now the fuel pump might join in to the party.

So for short after some more research about Ford and their beloved garbage engine i found out that, buying this car was a huge mistake.

I see you got 2017 focus well, have fun. I am selling mine garbage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club