Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 fiesta ST Line engine light

pedro1886

Hi guys,

Picked up my new ST line 140 on Saturday and this morning the orange engine light came on

It's only covered 200+ miles (already had 100 miles on it when I took delivery)

drove into work, stopped the car to put unleaded in. When I almost got to work the light come on

There isn't any warning notifications and the car appears to be normal.

Phoned ford assistance & got a call back telling me if it is just the engine symbol then it's most likely a sensor. I've tried restarting it 4 times in a row to see if it will reset but this didn't work. they suggested an exhaust or fuel cap sensor (told them this has the new easy fuel system)

Booked into the dealer tomorrow morning. Hoping its nothing serious, I've been careful driving it & managed to get 43mpg

Anyone had this problem before?

I'll let you all know what the dealer say

I had first intermittent o2 sensor 2 heater circuit fail code. Sensor changed. Now have o2 sensor 2 low voltage fail code. Dealer told after the car was in, that Ford is working on a fix for this.

No problems myself so far touch wood. 100 miles sounds a lot for a new car to have on it? 

Hey Pedro,

I'll follow this topic with interest - I hope you manage to get it sorted.

I picked up my new 2018 ST-Line 140PS last month, and had a similar mileage and engine problem experience. As I posted over in the dealership forum:

I was assured by the dealer that the car would be sent down by trailer to avoid having anyone else drive the thing, but when I queried the 150 miles already on the clock, it transpired that it had already been driven from another dealership to the one it was just trailored from. Although I was told that up to 500 miles is considered acceptable delivery mileage (my brother's 2018 Focus had just 4 miles on it when delivered last month!), it would have been nice to know in advance, especially as my new logbook reported 0 miles at registration, and I was the first registrant.

At the start of my third week with the car, she refused to start - even after trying the usual emergency procedures. Fortunately AA cover was included with the purchase, so about an hour after I called them, they were able to get to me at home and fix the problem.

Apparently it was the second brand new Fiesta the guy had seen this week with the same problem - a corroded coating on the electrical switches/plugs in the engine fuse box that just needed cleaning off. I was not very impressed given I'd had 4 years of my 16 year old Yaris starting first time, every time!

The dealership didn't seem particularly worried, telling me that bringing it in to get checked over was entirely optional, and that they were confident the AA will have fixed the problem. Not wanting to hand over my car to them for another full day of messing about, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Fortunately everything has been fine since then, but it does make me anxious that it will remain so!

Good luck, anyway!

~ James

No problems so far. Clocked in 8700 miles. Hopefully it'll stay problem free...

Small update,

I think the milage when I picked it up was around 60, I didn't notice it until I had driven it away. But I spent some time logging all my journeys I did since Saturday.

Dropped the car in on Wed night for them to look at it first thing on Thursday  morning(31st)

Got a call saying it is a faulty sensor - HEGO and that the part will have to be ordered in. 

Bit annoyed about a fault within 5 days of ownership and they wont give me a courtesy car

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pedro1886 said:

Small update,

I think the milage when I picked it up was around 60, I didn't notice it until I had driven it away. But I spent some time logging all my journeys I did since Saturday.

Dropped the car in on Wed night for them to look at it first thing on Thursday  morning(31st)

Got a call saying it is a faulty sensor - HEGO and that the part will have to be ordered in. 

Bit annoyed about a fault within 5 days of ownership and they wont give me a courtesy car

A faulty sensor on a new car with around 200 miles on,makes you think don't it these days.

1 hour ago, pedro1886 said:

Yep, very annoying when you have a brand new machine. And the lack of courtesy car is risible. Have you considered complaining?

Im going to complain to thr dealer so ive got something logged

im giving them a fair chance to fix it. Just annoying i have to bring it back again, but if the parts not in stock then what can you do.

id much have preferred if they just kept the car untill its fixed but it wasnt possible 

I have an email from them saying the car id ok to drive with the light on. So ive made sure ive covered myself 

If they are saying the car is Ok to drive they won't offer up a courtesy car.

Regarding the issues on our mk8 sat nav, the dealership has always collected our vehicle from the Mrs work or our home when they have done any investigating, returning it with a good squirt of fuel. Free of charge of course.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Mavroz said:

If they are saying the car is Ok to drive they won't offer up a courtesy car.

Regarding the issues on our mk8 sat nav, the dealership has always collected our vehicle from the Mrs work or our home when they have done any investigating, returning it with a good squirt of fuel. Free of charge of course.

It's when it goes into the garage there isn't a courtesy car available.

Didn't offer the collection service even though I'd only had the car for 5 days

Weird that, how one dealership offers one service and another something different.

Was told it doesn't cost the dealership anything for courtesy cars or collection as for warranty issues it is all chargeable to Ford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Weird that, how one dealership offers one service and another something different.

Was told it doesn't cost the dealership anything for courtesy cars or collection as for warranty issues it is all chargeable to Ford.

I heard that too. Frankly, if you've ponied up for a brand new car, I would expect a courtesy car for the inconvenience of having to turn it in for work - especially so soon after purchase. I was given one for the day when my brand new Ford had to go back in order to correct some paint scratches that were only apparent when the weather finally stopped raining a week after collecting my car.

Anything less is just lazy customer care on the dealer's part, and I would consider mentioning it to the main Ford customer services dept. At the very least, if you get the customary satisfaction survey sent to you from Ford proper, you should certainly note the dealership's lack of care in this regard. Things won't change unless head office sees people being disappointed in the care they expect from the brand.

1 hour ago, James Drebin said:

I heard that too. Frankly, if you've ponied up for a brand new car, I would expect a courtesy car for the inconvenience of having to turn it in for work - especially so soon after purchase. I was given one for the day when my brand new Ford had to go back in order to correct some paint scratches that were only apparent when the weather finally stopped raining a week after collecting my car.

Anything less is just lazy customer care on the dealer's part, and I would consider mentioning it to the main Ford customer services dept. At the very least, if you get the customary satisfaction survey sent to you from Ford proper, you should certainly note the dealership's lack of care in this regard. Things won't change unless head office sees people being disappointed in the care they expect from the brand.

I've noted everything down so I can put it in a complaint

I hope the sensor arrives this week so I can put it back in & get this engine light off

I have the survey to complete but my salesman told me it's only based on him (the buying experience)

Again with any issues we were told our first point of contact was with the salesman who sold us the car. This was from the salesman himself, and up to now (other than the sat nav issues) he has sorted and issues with the Mrs car and mine also. He books everything in through service and makes sure everything is right before returning the car. Maybe this is just a dealership protocol also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pedro1886 said:

I've noted everything down so I can put it in a complaint

I have the survey to complete but my salesman told me it's only based on him (the buying experience)

Good man. Definitely good to catalogue and then present the evidence, as I find things are taken more seriously when you've take the time to organise the information, and they have it clearly written down in front of them. And don't be fobbed off if they miss something - I had to keep referring my dealer rep back to my emails every time they'd answer one question but not another in the same blasted message!

Funnily enough, I was told I'd get a satisfaction survey in the post that Ford UK get to review (the main dealership being representatives of the Ford brand as they are), and so I think the feedback would actually affect how Ford rate them. Somewhat predictably, though, I didn't receive any such survey.

If I have any more problems I will probably just write a formal complaint letter to Ford, and hope that their subcontinental email contact team don't just use the old cut-and-paste responses like they did to another issue I contacted them about.

4 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Again with any issues we were told our first point of contact was with the salesman who sold us the car. This was from the salesman himself, and up to now (other than the sat nav issues) he has sorted and issues with the Mrs car and mine also. He books everything in through service and makes sure everything is right before returning the car. Maybe this is just a dealership protocol also.

Same here - the dealer rep I purchased from is my first point of contact. I guess they perform a kind of relationship management role after the pure sales function. But some things may need escalating above them if an issue is persistently not addressed. But people should definitely give them a chance to fix things first. That's my approach, anyway. :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club