Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P1412 EGR valve problems.

asmad

Hi,

I have an 06 fiesta 1.4 tdci. 94k on the clock. Recently the engine management light came on. After a week it went off again for a while but now the EML is always on. Using the Torque app it gave a fault code p1412 (sticking EGR valve I believe) The car is still driving perfectly fine, so I'm thinking the valve must be stuck in the closed position. 

I pulled the valve out last week and gave it a good clean. To be honest, it wasn't overly sooted up and the valve could easily be turned by hand and didn't appear to be sticking. Put it back together and 50 miles later and the EML is back on and its giving the same fault code. 

So, I'm thinking the electronic side of the EGR must be faulty and had a look online for a replacement. See quite a few on eBay and I'm wondering if the ones costing around £40-£45 are any good?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edited by asmad
Spelling mistake

I once had the engine light come on on my mk6.5 fiesta 1.6 TDCI and it came with a fault with the EGR. I deleted the code and since then it has never come back. Try deleting the code and see if it comes back. There's a company called Hdi tuning which can map out the EGR. 

I've opened up my Egr (exactly the same as in the 1.4 diesel) and unscrewed the top motor and cleaned it from there. It was easy to move the pins from the top but after cleaning it I was able to move it with just finger pressure. 

DSC_0112.JPG

26 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I once had the engine light come on on my mk6.5 fiesta 1.6 TDCI and it came with a fault with the EGR. I deleted the code and since then it has never come back. Try deleting the code and see if it comes back. There's a company called Hdi tuning which can map out the EGR. 

I've opened up my Egr (exactly the same as in the 1.4 diesel) and unscrewed the top motor and cleaned it from there. It was easy to move the pins from the top but after cleaning it I was able to move it with just finger pressure. 

DSC_0112.JPG

Thanks for replying zain611. Yes, when I removed the motor from on top and cleaned it, it was very easy to move with little pressure. 

I've deleted the fault code a couple of times but it comes back quickly showing as a pending fault in the torque app. Few days later the light comes on again. 

I'm not too sure then. Might see if getting another EGR might solve the problem. I've actually blanked mine and I haven't got any engine light come on so probably the ECU just looks at the function of the EGR

Is there a MAF on the 1.4TDCi?

There isn't a MAF on the 1.6 TDCi in the Fiesta which is why you can get away with blanking them as long as the electric part still works.  If the electrionics are broken the only option is to replace unfortunately.

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Is there a MAF on the 1.4TDCi?

There isn't a MAF on the 1.6 TDCi in the Fiesta which is why you can get away with blanking them as long as the electric part still works.  If the electrionics are broken the only option is to replace unfortunately.

Yes there is definitely a MAF on the 1.4 so I guess I'll need to order a replacement EGR.

I'd thought of blanking it but figured if its giving the fault code, then blanking wouldn't make a difference. Think the ECU measures the voltage when the EGR opens and closes and knows its not working.

If I unplug the EGR it gives a fault code for high voltage. (And runs quite poorly) but the p1412 frozen EGR code doesn't reappear. 

14 hours ago, asmad said:

Yes there is definitely a MAF on the 1.4 so I guess I'll need to order a replacement EGR.

I'd thought of blanking it but figured if its giving the fault code, then blanking wouldn't make a difference. Think the ECU measures the voltage when the EGR opens and closes and knows its not working.

If I unplug the EGR it gives a fault code for high voltage. (And runs quite poorly) but the p1412 frozen EGR code doesn't reappear. 

Yeah that's right, blanking it won't help if the electronic part is faulty.  And with a MAF it can also see that there's not enough air being recirculated when the EGR should be open.  I haven't tried a cheap EGR personally but for £40 I think I'd probably give it a go.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2018 at 12:40 PM, TomsFocus said:
On 5/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, asmad said:

Hi,

I have an 06 fiesta 1.4 tdci. 94k on the clock. Recently the engine management light came on. After a week it went off again for a while but now the EML is always on. Using the Torque app it gave a fault code p1412 (sticking EGR valve I believe) The car is still driving perfectly fine, so I'm thinking the valve must be stuck in the closed position. 

I pulled the valve out last week and gave it a good clean. To be honest, it wasn't overly sooted up and the valve could easily be turned by hand and didn't appear to be sticking. Put it back together and 50 miles later and the EML is back on and its giving the same fault code. 

So, I'm thinking the electronic side of the EGR must be faulty and had a look online for a replacement. See quite a few on eBay and I'm wondering if the ones costing around £40-£45 are any good?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Just an update on the eBay EGR valve. Cost £42 with free postage. The valve is fitted and seems to be working well

The face of the new EGR which bolts to the engine seems to be slightly misaligned as the metal gasket doesn't quite line up with the opening. But it was close so I stuck it in and alls good. Hopefully it'll stay that way. 

Thanks for the advice 

• 11 months later...

Hi

I've had the engine light on since December with this code  p0404

I've checked it today I also have p1412 as well now.

Did the new egr sort the problem out ?? 

Cheers Andy 

13 hours ago, Andyh01 said:

Hi

I've had the engine light on since December with this code  p0404

I've checked it today I also have p1412 as well now.

Did the new egr sort the problem out ?? 

Cheers Andy 

The original poster hasn't reported back with any problems so probably the new EGR helped. Don't take my word though. Try cleaning it out first though to see if that helps 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club