Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange pull away. 2.0 tdci 163.

michaelburrows

Iv got a 62 plate focus 2.0 tdci 163 manual. I noticed this issue soon after i bought it.  Hard to explain but here goes.sitting at end of my road waiti g to pull out on to main road. Clutch down    giving it a few revs waiting to pull away.  Revs quite freely.    Then as soon as i start to lift clutch to go  if revs are above 1200  which is not much more than tickover really its as iff the cars going to stall.  It dosnt tho.   Once car is on move and clutch is up i can accelerate away no problem. Its just the i itial lifting of the clutch .   Its as if the ecu is saying  oooh   too many revs there  so im goi g to drop them in case you spin youre wheels.   I sear hed the inter et and came up with solutions.  Well not many actually.    Get it remapped. So rang remappers   .they didnt want to know untill problem sorted out.   So went to fords  with a sution suggested to have powertrain control module software updated.  Anyway they seemed reluctant but iv got it booked in nxt wk to check what software is on it and if theres an update. Im hopi g they actually find something. Coz its in my opinion dangerous. Anyone else have any thj g like this on their tdci.

You can check if there's a PCM update yourself using ETIS.  Sure I've read there is one for this exact problem on the 2.0 though so you should be in luck there.  How much are they charging you for the update out of interest?

I have the opposite issue on a 1.6 TDCi...as I gently lift the clutch in traffic to edge forward it decides it needs to add 500rpm and jerks me toward the car ahead at speed...  Also when I slowly lift off in 1st rather than a gentle slow down it suddenly drops a load of revs and nose dives as if I've hit the brake.   I dread hitting traffic in this car!  Been told there is a PCM update that I can try for just over £100, but also looks like I've got at least one dodgy injector now.  

Needs a PCM update by sounds of it.

Well actually my car also comes to a nose dive type feeling. I twnd to now wait till there is a big gap in traffic b4 attempting to pull out and then on tickover only. I drop clutch slowly and it also seems to increase revs slightly but makes a better pull away for my situation. Ford are going to charge me 114 pounds for an update if there is one and i also believe there is  albeit the customer service guy i booked car in with wouldnt confirm it to me .

• Like 1

Update update. I took car into fords smc at crayford today. They ran their diagnostics and said that there was no updates available for the powertrain module on my car. I even took bloke out for a drive and he said it was normal behaviour and mayb it was just because iv changed to a different car and still getti g used to its ways. Very disapointed. 

Le for the 

If you private message me your reg I'll check for a PCM update.

I thought I'd get used to the awful drive of mine...it's now been over 4 months.  I don't have any trouble driving other cars so either Ford's are just mapped really badly or there's an issue lol.

Dont know how to pm you. But reg is gf62uge

1 hour ago, michaelburrows said:

Dont know how to pm you. But reg is gf62uge

Yeah, they're right, no PCM update available for your car. :sad:

Oh. You seemed quite positive. Was thinking il be going bk to them with details . Seems iv got to live with the pig. Surely they arnt all like this. Pulling away on tickover is bad. On a hill its nigh on impossible

13 hours ago, michaelburrows said:

Oh. You seemed quite positive. Was thinking il be going bk to them with details . Seems iv got to live with the pig. Surely they arnt all like this. Pulling away on tickover is bad. On a hill its nigh on impossible

Yeah, I was fairly sure there was one for that issue.  Your car has already had at least one PCM update since new though so may have already had the one to try and fix it.

Not sure what to suggest other than buying something better than a Ford...which is what I'm currently in the process of!  Trouble is Fords are cheap compared to equivalent cars...obviously there's a reason for that but still... :laugh: 

Quite a common thing on the Focus remapping will get rid of the issue, it happens on the 1.6 TDCi too did with mine until I had it remapped, same with a bloke who lives nearby he has the 2.0 TDCi and he hates pulling away because of it, he's getting it remapped soon too. 

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I was fairly sure there was one for that issue.  Your car has already had at least one PCM update since new though so may have already had the one to try and fix it.

Not sure what to suggest other than buying something better than a Ford...which is what I'm currently in the process of!  Trouble is Fords are cheap compared to equivalent cars...obviously there's a reason for that but still... :laugh: 

Are you telling me my car has had a pcm software update. And etis is showing this.  Suppose you dont know when   or perhaps tell me how i can view this info. Thanks

31 minutes ago, michaelburrows said:

Are you telling me my car has had a pcm software update. And etis is showing this.  Suppose you dont know when   or perhaps tell me how i can view this info. Thanks

I don't know when it was, Etis just shows the last time the module was logged on the Ford system...which was yesterday so they did at least check.

If you register on ETIS as an IO and login.  Use your reg in vehicle lookup.  On the left hand side scroll down to 'software'.  Then look at PCM and it shows a different software number to the factory one.  This shows its been updated.

two things I can say to try as I have the same engine in my focus, and I had a similar feeling on my car,check your turbo intercooler pipe big one at front of engine on top hose clip where it joins throttle valve for leak can be loose clip as ford don't tighten this enough as had this when car was serviced as they seem to remove it when changing oil filter and also clean your maf sensor.

Thank you shamus and thank you toms focus. I was starting to think its just me and i cant drive.

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Damn, you've not long had that car have you? was changing because of the MOT rule changes and emissions etc?

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Damn, you've not long had that car have you? was changing because of the MOT rule changes and emissions etc?

Yeah the main reason for changing was 'emissions related', started seeing quite a few roadside checks around here as well as the MOT changes so just wasn't worth the stress to keep it, my mileage had also dropped a lot since buying it so reinstating the Eolys type DPF wasn't an option but I knew I'd miss the looks, leathers and xenons etc from the mk2.  I never have liked the mk3 though...and that was then reinforced by buying one lol, have put up with it for 4 months so far, feels a lot longer than that!  However circumstances changed again since buying it and really don't do DPF mileage at all now, about 500 miles a month.

Trouble is, I'm struggling to find something of similar size and ride comfort, with the same sort of the spec as the mk2, for what the Mk3 is worth, around £6k.  I like VW/Audi stuff but would have to have something either much older or much higher mileage for the £6k.  I've thought about going for a 'nice' petrol ST/GTi due to fuel costs no longer being a big issue, but they tend to be lower specced for the ones I can afford and I think the ride would be too rough with the sports suspension and 18s.  

I do also currently have a 14 year old A3 2.0TDI for when I need a non-DPF car with ice cold AC that doesn't drive like utter ***** in traffic.  It's great for local driving but the ride is a bit rough for me over distance back roads if I'm honest so I tend to take the sweat-box mk3 on longer trips and just hope I don't hit any traffic lol.  So yeah, not an ideal situation atm! :laugh: 

• Like 1

That sucks, my mk2 is going to be departing for similar reasons. (that and it just passed 135k! )

As it turns out some family down in Bury has a Mondeo going cheap, 2.0tdci, it has the DPF which ill leave in place but unlike the mk2, this thing has just 2 v bands holding it in place, drop install and go, they seem to be a damn site lot cheaper as well and unless ive got my facts wrong, they only came with ceramic DPFs, none of that Eolys nonsense.  Itll do for now, especially since its "cheap" 🙂 

Prioirty is getting a reverse camera in it, next, tweaking the ECU for some more.... errr Economy. I'm currently hitting 63MPG, I think ill be lucky to hit 53 but for 170BHP 138BHP and a smoother quieter ride, needs must.  

Not fancy a Mondeo / A4 size car?

Anyhow...

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah the main reason for changing was 'emissions related', started seeing quite a few roadside checks around here as well as the MOT changes

Really, roadside checks on DPFs? Can't say I have noticed anything except speed camera speed checks round here!

Have you thought about a Skoda, basically VAG on a budget but generally on a good spec?

19 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

That sucks, my mk2 is going to be departing for similar reasons. (that and it just passed 135k! )

As it turns out some family down in Bury has a Mondeo going cheap, 2.0tdci, it has the DPF which ill leave in place but unlike the mk2, this thing has just 2 v bands holding it in place, drop install and go, they seem to be a damn site lot cheaper as well and unless ive got my facts wrong, they only came with ceramic DPFs, none of that Eolys nonsense.  Itll do for now, especially since its "cheap" 🙂 

Prioirty is getting a reverse camera in it, next, tweaking the ECU for some more.... errr Economy. I'm currently hitting 63MPG, I think ill be lucky to hit 53 but for 170BHP 138BHP and a smoother quieter ride, needs must.  

Not fancy a Mondeo / A4 size car?

Anyhow...

Is that a measured 63MPG or going off the trip computer?  The Mk3 appears to average ~63mpg each tank on the TC, yet it's only ever 55-60mpg in reality.  Which is the same as the A3 does, with an extra 10 years/50k, and an extra 25bhp with AC on as well.  The Mk3 was specifically sculpted and has plenty of added features for aerodynamics...yet it doesn't do any more MPG than the Mk2 DV6 did, or even an archaic 2.0 PD engine, not really sure how they've managed that! :laugh: 

I'm not quite at Mondeo age yet... :tongue:  I'm not really keen on saloon shapes either, prefer either small boxy hatches or estates.  I do like the A4 estates tbf...even looked at an A6 before buying the A3 lol.  It needs to be at least Golf/Focus/A3 size for the ride comfort (due to my dodgy insides) but I'm open to anything bigger than that if I could afford it.  £6k seems like a decent budget until you put it into autotrader and find the main dealers won't even put cars that cheap on their forecourts! :unsure: 

14 hours ago, south_bound said:

Really, roadside checks on DPFs? Can't say I have noticed anything except speed camera speed checks round here!

Have you thought about a Skoda, basically VAG on a budget but generally on a good spec?

They're VOSA/DVSA stop-checks, not just DPF but it's one of the things they'll be looking for (it's £1000 fine if you're caught with no DPF on the road now), along with ad-blu removal and any other illegal mods etc.  It depends where you drive really, they're in this area because of a major port and the intersection of 2 major dual carriageways.  

Buying a Skoda is like buying Tesco value...sure it's similar, but noticeably cheaper and you always wish you'd spent a bit extra on the nicer one!  Kind of like when I bought a Focus 4 years ago as I couldn't afford the equivalent Golf...  :laugh:  They're also not that well specced either, fairly rare to find them with auto lights/wipers and climate control.  I did look at the TSI Fabia VRS and Monte Carlo Editions which I do kind of like the look of and figures on paper, but they fit ridiculous wheels and tyres to them, same size as the Fiesta ST, and solid suspension as well so they're uncomfortable and tramline, ruined purely for the aesthetics...as is the Fiesta ST lol.

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Is that a measured 63MPG or going off the trip computer?  The Mk3 appears to average ~63mpg each tank on the TC, yet it's only ever 55-60mpg in reality.  Which is the same as the A3 does, with an extra 10 years/50k, and an extra 25bhp with AC on as well.  The Mk3 was specifically sculpted and has plenty of added features for aerodynamics...yet it doesn't do any more MPG than the Mk2 DV6 did, or even an archaic 2.0 PD engine, not really sure how they've managed that! :laugh: 

I'm not quite at Mondeo age yet... :tongue:  I'm not really keen on saloon shapes either, prefer either small boxy hatches or estates.  I do like the A4 estates tbf...even looked at an A6 before buying the A3 lol.  It needs to be at least Golf/Focus/A3 size for the ride comfort (due to my dodgy insides) but I'm open to anything bigger than that if I could afford it.  £6k seems like a decent budget until you put it into autotrader and find the main dealers won't even put cars that cheap on their forecourts! :unsure: 

haha, oh I dunno, this isnt mine but I think it has some style, bit of TLC and she looks almost modern. keep in mind its an 11 year old car design, with the exception of the Mk2.5, there aren't many (modern)  cars that age as well.  Besides, after driving the Focus for all these years I'm in need of some corrective spinal surgery and hearing aid from having to have the music so loud to drown out the road / wind noise, a bit of comfort to go with some more power, sounds like a win win 🙂 

As for mpg, that is on TC, the last time I did a brim to brim it was about 55. The bar was set high with the Mk2, but they seem to have totally dropped the ball with the Mk3 😞 

See the source image

My old mk2.5 1.6 tdci would sometimes learch/ Kangaroo forward in traffic it used to get queit annoying. In regards to my new car I think it's better in almost all ways than my last one apart from the boot space. Drives smoother and handles even better. 

13 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

haha, oh I dunno, this isnt mine but I think it has some style, bit of TLC and she looks almost modern. keep in mind its an 11 year old car design, with the exception of the Mk2.5, there aren't many (modern)  cars that age as well.  Besides, after driving the Focus for all these years I'm in need of some corrective spinal surgery and hearing aid from having to have the music so loud to drown out the road / wind noise, a bit of comfort to go with some more power, sounds like a win win 🙂 

As for mpg, that is on TC, the last time I did a brim to brim it was about 55. The bar was set high with the Mk2, but they seem to have totally dropped the ball with the Mk3 😞 

See the source image

I didn't mean it as an insult, don't forget I'm not even 30 yet... :laugh:   There is a nice local one though, I used to drive past this every week and see it a lot of local meets, might not be your thing but I'd happily drive this, air ride should mean plenty of comfort on the move as well (pictures borrowed from facebook).

384069790_Lowmondeo.jpg.be1dcf5190265c7ee1940e4693b79195.jpg

1566867421_lowmondeo2.jpg.b203580373e8a6a6340a61552ae8b87d.jpg

12 hours ago, James said:

My old mk2.5 1.6 tdci would sometimes learch/ Kangaroo forward in traffic it used to get queit annoying. In regards to my new car I think it's better in almost all ways than my last one apart from the boot space. Drives smoother and handles even better. 

The Mk3 Boot is ridiculous...not sure how they make such a large car with such a small boot, it's like a reverse tardis!  Very annoying when I now can't fit things in there that I originally bought home in the Mk2. :sad:  I agree with the handling though, the Mk3 does seem set up well, though still easily understeers when pushed.  Really the only things I actually prefer in the Mk3 is the gearbox and the overhead sunglasses holder... :laugh: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't mean it as an insult, don't forget I'm not even 30 yet... :laugh:   There is a nice local one though, I used to drive past this every week and see it a lot of local meets, might not be your thing but I'd happily drive this, air ride should mean plenty of comfort on the move as well (pictures borrowed from facebook).

The Mk3 Boot is ridiculous...not sure how they make such a large car with such a small boot, it's like a reverse tardis!  Very annoying when I now can't fit things in there that I originally bought home in the Mk2. :sad:  I agree with the handling though, the Mk3 does seem set up well, though still easily understeers when pushed.  Really the only things I actually prefer in the Mk3 is the gearbox and the overhead sunglasses holder... :laugh: 

Haha, aye, im the wrong side of 30, I try not to think about it. Didn't you get a sunglasses holder on the MK2? mine does 😄 

She looks pretty good, could never get away with the suspension like that in Scotland, park up the car and youll beach yourself on the cratered roads.

Lets be honest tho, the Mk2 had a boot that rivalled some estates! My brother in law got himself some KIA estate (fool) because it had a "larger" boot, only it didn't, and if we both put the seats down, the mk2 was larger!!  I think we were spoiled with the mk2 but then she had a fat (heavy) ar$e, shes not that might lighter than the Mondeo!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club