Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST factor

Smartd00d

What magic ingredient does Ford add to their ST cars?? I picked up my new ST-Line yesterday, same 100ps engine as my MK7.5 Zetec but it just feels totally different. My mate has a MK8 Zetec and it feels different to that too.

in fact it feels very similar to my brothers 2007 Focus ST when it was new.

The engine feels deep, menacing and purposeful. Maybe it’s the combination of small things like thicker steering wheel, darker interior and deeper engine note but I just wondered how they do it?!

As you can tell, I’m a fan! Fantastic car, best new Ford I’ve had since my first in ‘99 (Ka2 Blue), and I’ve had a fair few!

Anyone know the secret ingredient?

Be careful calling your st-line an st, very different things with the st-line just being the new name for the zetec s

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sioneon said:

Be careful calling your st-line an st, very different things with the st-line just being the new name for the zetec s

I know right.. "to their ST cars"🙄 I wish manufacturers stopped this dumb trend of putting their performance name on regular, slow cars just to attract people that don't care/know what engine is in it...

This is basically the same as when a lad puts M bumpers and logos on his 316i, we all think that is dumb but at the same time people are massively buying m-line/s-line/st-line/you name it

Lad I work with said I've just got a brand new ST Fiesta, the child inside me very excited went straight outside for a look but it was just a ST-Line, when we got outside I said "where is it?" I then schooled him on ST-Line and ST  

• Haha 1

I knew that would rile some folk! I didn’t need a lesson on st-line vs st thanks, I’ve been a Ford fan for 20+ years.

It’s not all about engine; the ST-Line looks ‘almost’ the same as the ST, you can’t argue that. 

However there is a definite difference in how the car drives and feels over the models without ST in their model names.

I was wondering what Ford have done to the ST-Line to make it so (exhaust note, symphoniser, steering weight etc)..

ST-Line gets 10mm lowered suspension, that's the only mechanical difference. Everything else is cosmetic over the normal titanium, zetec, etc.

So if you feel the engine pulls harder its just placebo.

I agree, although the St Line has only a little less power than the St, for me it is the styling and looks it offers which I am more than happy with. 140bhp from a 1 litre engine is fantastic with the St looks, 130 quid a year road tax and 22 quid a month insurance is just the job....

Definitely agree, the ST-line has all the looks and some of the feel but a lot more affordable and sensible for outer London, especially as a 2nd car.

The ST is lovely, it really is, but it is about £5K more than the ST-Line on Privilege which equates to around £100p/m more and about £2K bigger balloon payment in 3 years. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but life’s all about balance.. ⚖️

As @alexp999 said its lowered slightly on the ST line which must make it feel a little different to drive. I'd say most people would want to go for the ST line for the cheap running costs and looks. I myself have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi. I wanted a car which is cheap to run, looks sporty and isnt expensive. The mk6.5 fiesta zetec s has stiffer suspension, short shifter, ST bumpers, 16inch alloys and a few other stuff the same or similar to the ST however without the ST logo. After the mk6 zetec s ford made the mk7 zetec s unique to itself and not putting the same ST bumpers on.

In about 3 years time I might have to change my car due to the ultra low emissions zones coming to London. Am looking at the 1 litre ecoboost engines but then thinking if I don't have a choice to get or afford a new diesel I could just get a audi with a 1.8T or 2.0T engine. 

Got my 140 st-line and does the job of being a family car and fun to drive car when it takes your fancy. No downsides but just lacks that extra % which also causes higher running costs and too firm suspension.

I might get a mk9 st though, that's aboit a decade away though

41 minutes ago, sioneon said:

Got my 140 st-line and does the job of being a family car and fun to drive car when it takes your fancy. No downsides but just lacks that extra % which also causes higher running costs and too firm suspension.

The ST-Line is a perfect balance though. It has the sporty look and is very practical. You can throw it around when you want to but still save money on fuel costs etc even with a heavy right foot. I've had a lot of fun with my 2016 ST-Line 140ps and yet I've only owned it 11 days.

9 hours ago, Mavroz said:

although the St Line has only a little less power than the St, for me it is the styling and looks it offers which I am more than happy with. 140bhp from a 1 litre engine is fantastic with the St looks, 130 quid a year road tax and 22 quid a month insurance is just the job....

Absolutely. I think the ST-Line appeals to the boy racers in us because of the styling, yet also captures the sensible side with the running costs, tax and insurance. That little 1l turbo engine gives a lot of performance for what it is and it pulls quite well in the higher gears without having to drop down a gear or 2 to overtake or wait for the turbo to spool up. 

The main differences I have noticed is that the ST-Line isn't noisy as the ST exhaust wise (although there is quite a bit of road noise at 50+ mph in the cabin), it doesn't have the BOV/dump valve noise (if it does it's very quiet and hardly noticeable) and the seats are easier on the back. 
As someone mentioned above, the suspension isn't as low or as stiff/sporty as the full blown ST so there's a balance between comfort and performance and the only other difference of note is the brakes (the ST has larger calipers, discs and pads). 
Also,  the ST doesn't come in a 5 door variant whereas the ST-Line does (cost doesn't increase that much for the extra doors) so you get the extra benefit of being able to get people in the back easier or shopping etc so it's a bit more practical. 

The ST-Line is a great car but to get the most fun and performance for your money, you'd have to have the 140ps version imo. 

ST does come in a 5 door, or at least it did for a while

Yes. Was going to say I thought the ST was available 5 door at one time.

Also have to disagree asthe St Line does have the dump valve noise when accelerating thought the gears etc. It is very noticeable when passing or driving with the window down.

Tentatively priced insurance for my next Fiesta, possible St,priced the insurance for us on this and surprisingly it is only about 70 quid a year more for us, around £300,with a 200 quid excess.

Nothing really as the St Lines we have are around the £240 Mark.

Totally depends on the monthly payment which Ford want for one compared to the St line. See what i gain/get for mine, being immaculate and low mileage all being well as I feel we are paying a very low price for our current cars and don't want to ramp the monthlies up un necessarily.

3 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Yes. Was going to say I thought the ST was available 5 door at one time.

Also have to disagree asthe St Line does have the dump valve noise when accelerating thought the gears etc. It is very noticeable when passing or driving with the window down.

They may have been available in 5 door and I know the 2018 ST will be available in 3 or 5 door configurations. Tbh you don't see many 5 door versions of the ST around. I was told many years ago by a Ford dealer that Ford had stopped making the 5 door version in that particular model run but that may have been them lying and trying to sell me the 3 door that was available then. 

Hmm, I have a 16/17 ST-Line and I can barely hear the dump valve. I even had my friend listen to the engine and they couldn't hear it either. They just thought it was the pedal making squeaking sounds due to it being almost new. 
Wonder if I've got a duff one then, lol. 

We have a 17 st line and 18 st linex and both, especially my 17 plate has a distinct hiss on gearchange etc under acceleration. Very audible with the window open, even audible with stereo off in the cab. It is a lot more than a squeak.

Forgot to say they are both 140hp cars.

I am not sure if I read somewhere that the 140 mk7.5 has a different or larger turbo than the 100 or 125 if that is what you have?

The 1.0 has a recirculation valve, not a traditional dump to air valve so it is quiet. You can hear it more if you run a panel or cone filter and especially if you run a silicone secondary intake hose. 

The 125 and 140 shared a turbo but in the later Mk7.5s the 125 used the 100 turbo. It’s not bigger but I’m not sure what the difference is. I’ve read just different standard of materials used. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 5:33 AM, Mavroz said:

We have a 17 st line and 18 st linex and both, especially my 17 plate has a distinct hiss on gearchange etc under acceleration. Very audible with the window open, even audible with stereo off in the cab. It is a lot more than a squeak.

Agreed, clearly audible on my 140 ST line if you lift off/change gear under hard acceleration. Given these engines are running ~20+psi of boost (I believe) I'd be surprised if you couldn't hear it even if it is a recirc rather than a BOV.

And yeah, the ST Line is not a real ST, doesn't mean it isn't a damn good car. I got a thumbs up from a guy in a MK7 ST on Saturday, and felt a bit sheepish wondering if he knew I was an imposter. 😄

I,m picking my st up at the weekend , it's a 66 plate in blue. I did look at the st-line , it's a dam fine looking car if you ask me.

Perfect for looking the part and cheap insurance , running costs etc. But if I would of bought one I,d be thinking every time I see an st why the hell didn't I get one of those hence spending 2k extra on the st. 

• Like 1

Hopefully by the time i have pondered whether to move to the ST or not, the new model with the deactivating cylinder will be available.

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Hopefully by the time i have pondered whether to move to the ST or not, the new model with the deactivating cylinder will be available.

It's already available to order 

14 hours ago, pompeydave1967 said:

I,m picking my st up at the weekend , it's a 66 plate in blue. I did look at the st-line , it's a dam fine looking car if you ask me.

Perfect for looking the part and cheap insurance , running costs etc. But if I would of bought one I,d be thinking every time I see an st why the hell didn't I get one of those hence spending 2k extra on the st. 

Awesome mate, think you've made the right choice! For me it was a case of I needed 5 doors (the MK7 STs only ran for 1 model year with 5 doors so it's near impossible to find them) and the ride would have driven me a bit mental over all the speed bumps in Southwark (well, I would have sucked it up but the missus would have murdered me!).

I've been deeply impressed by the ST line so far, the handling is awesome and the engine is meaty enough for most situations. I think it just goes to show what a well sorted chassis the Fiesta has. Hope you enjoy your ST when you get it! :)

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Dan , I couldn't stretch anywhere near to a mk8 st , paid 12k for this 66 plate.

the mk8 is a stunning car , def in 2 years time.

i did have an st last year but after 6 weeks ford rang me up to see if I wanted to sell it back to them for more money !!!!

it won what car used hot hatch last year so I said yes please and walked out with £500 more.

but I missed it and got another lol

4 days and counting......biggest kid in the house !

will the idiot in his 53 plate 1.6 focus who always gets up my backside on the  journey to work do the same to me now lol

probably.....don't think he cares

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club