Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Relock Not Locking

DavesEdge

Hi All

I can't remember which post I mentioned this in, so thought I would do a new one.

The update from when my car went in to have this fixed (as said in previous post) is that delears admitted that car is faulty as auto relock not working.

Dealers sent me an email stating this, so have it in black and white from them. They have rebooked car in for Ford Technical to look at.

It is booked in for two days being 2 - 3 July. I am getting a courtesy car paid for by warranty (I always state I need transport whilst they have my car).

But this time I had a bit of a moan off saying I wanted something bigger than a fiesta for a courtesy car.

This is why the next visit is a month away, as dealers had to prebook a larger car for me.

Am still keeping my faults diary running, so as to make notes of when/where/conditions of faults, and to see if they re-occur or just a one off (wipers not working in freezing weather).

I will report outcome of next warranty visit.

Dave

Good luck getting the auto relock working assuming it is a 2016 early build Sync 2 model. My Edge has been into the dealers (EH Preston & Chorley) on 4 separate occasions for them to puzzle over this which included them speaking to Ford Technical (which apparently means them sending  an electronic service request & then awaiting a reply - I'm not sure why they can't simply speak on the phone!). Ford Technical have advised the Auto Relock is NOT a feature on the early build Edges i.e. like mine (despite the 2016 manual showing the feature on Sync models) & cannot be retrofitted so I've given up.

On the other hand apparently Ford at Basingstoke can sort the problem (someone mentioned this on the other auto relock thread) but B'stoke is too far for me to just pop down there & EH weren't prepared to speak to another dealer as Ford Technical had said it couldn't be sorted! PS I was given an Ecosport as a courtesy car although I was hoping for an RS :-) 

• 1 month later...

Hi All

After having my car for two days, I have been given what seems to be the standard ford's fob off story of "it was not fitted".

I responded by saying that my previous fords from 2002 (brand new then) had it fitted (it was not an option back then), also it is stated in the 2015 Edge handbook.

I said I would leave this matter open as I did not think or accept that ford motor company would go backwards.

When I bought my car, it was not a base model, so I would have also expected to be fitted for this reason as well.

I may contact Ford Basingstoke (as has been mentioned by Yetiman65 and Kelvin1950 above, and others on these forums) through my salesman, getting my local dealer to foot any bills.

More to follow.

Happy motoring

Dave

I've asked and raised the same question at multiple dealerships on this issue.

They can't do it.

Something changed on EU ford models they stoped using the feature, to avoid legal action from consumers.

So they can't unlock the feature using ETIS I think it's called. The feature is greyed out they need the American version.

You can do it through third party software but no dealer will do it for you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My 2016, August build Edge with Sync 2 had this problem and was fixed first time by Essex Ford at Rayleigh.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:02 AM, pbenroh said:

I've asked and raised the same question at multiple dealerships on this issue.

They can't do it.

Something changed on EU ford models they stoped using the feature, to avoid legal action from consumers.

So they can't unlock the feature using ETIS I think it's called. The feature is greyed out they need the American version.

You can do it through third party software but no dealer will do it for you.

Funny that, Think Ford in Basingstoke managed to do it.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mazzie said:

My 2016, August build Edge with Sync 2 had this problem and was fixed first time by Essex Ford at Rayleigh.

The very same dealers who sold me my Edge.

And then told me it was not fitted using the standard ford's fob off.

Seems to be a bit of double standard going on here !??

Seeing my salesman later today to see/find out what is happening.

Dave

From what I read on the FORScan Forums, its only 1 configuration bit and a checksum in the BCM to enable it ! I might get a Pro License for it and Read my configs out. It works as advertised on my Sept 2016 Build. Can't for one minute think that Sync 2/3 is in anyway a factor as the functionality is controlled by the Body Control Module.

Funny that, Think Ford in Basingstoke managed to do it.
They might have someone who's willing to do it and already has the hardware and software to do it.

I've never had a car that's not had it until my focus.
I always forget to lock it myself.

I also don't see why they'd stop the function but have.

Auto relock was stopped due to safety concerns.  Basically it might fail to unlock in a crash and hinder the emergency services, then your family could sue them if your death would have been prevented without the hassle of cutting doors open.  Not all dealers seem to know this though, so some will enable it and some won't.  

Paul is right about the Ford system now, they've recently been restricted by what they can and can't enable at the dealers.  Maybe some haven't had their system updated yet?

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Auto relock was stopped due to safety concerns.  Basically it might fail to unlock in a crash and hinder the emergency services, then your family could sue them if your death would have been prevented without the hassle of cutting doors open.  Not all dealers seem to know this though, so some will enable it and some won't.  

Paul is right about the Ford system now, they've recently been restricted by what they can and can't enable at the dealers.  Maybe some haven't had their system updated yet?

We are talking about Auto Relock i.e. the doors Relock if you unlock the doors using the key fob but don't actually then open any of the doors. The doors should Auto Relock after 30-60 seconds. Unfortunately for some early 2016 build Edge owners (including me) the Auto Relock is not enabled & Ford Dealerships (in general) are reticent to fix the problem although from comments on here it is an easy fix with the right tools or software. Later build Edges i.e late 2016 & onwards have the Auto Relock enabled as it should be (& is covered in the owner manual). 

What you describe above is Auto Lock which is when the doors self lock once the vehicle reaches a certain speed & my understanding is that it is this is no longer fitted to Ford cars for the reasons you give? 

12 minutes ago, Yetiman65 said:

What you describe above is Auto Lock which is when the doors self lock once the vehicle reaches a certain speed & my understanding is that it is this is no longer fitted to Ford cars for the reasons you give? 

Oops, my bad.  Yeah I meant auto-lock, which is what Paul was talking about as well I think! :unsure: 

Just an idea, are you making very clear that you want the relock feature and not auto locking at the dealer?  Just wondering if they're making the same mistake and think you're after auto locks which they can't enable!  

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just an idea, are you making very clear that you want the relock feature and not auto locking at the dealer?  Just wondering if they're making the same mistake and think you're after auto locks which they can't enable!  

No problem Tom, you're probably right with that comment although on my first visit to the dealership to get it resolved I photocopied the owner manual extract & highlighted the section how the Auto Relock should be working - after 4 visits including 2 to a different Ford service centre I gave up in the end & TBH I can live without it.

It was just frustrating how inept they were at what appears to be an easy fix problem given the comments on this forum. The Ford service centres appear to refer anything slightly technical to Ford Technical which from what I was told involves them sending  an email & waiting for a reply - I'm not sure why they can't pick up a phone? Anyway the Ford Technical answer on all 4 occasions was that it wasn't a feature on my vehicle & cannot be reconfigured/added on, so literally a case of "the Ford computer says no!"

Cheers

On 7/11/2018 at 4:59 AM, pbenroh said:

They might have someone who's willing to do it and already has the hardware and software to do it.

I've never had a car that's not had it until my focus.
I always forget to lock it myself.

I also don't see why they'd stop the function but have.

Hi All

My 2002 Focus had it fitted. as did my 2002 Galaxy.

20 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

We are talking about Auto Relock i.e. the doors Relock if you unlock the doors using the key fob but don't actually then open any of the doors. The doors should Auto Relock after 30-60 seconds. Unfortunately for some early 2016 build Edge owners (including me) the Auto Relock is not enabled & Ford Dealerships (in general) are reticent to fix the problem although from comments on here it is an easy fix with the right tools or software. Later build Edges i.e late 2016 & onwards have the Auto Relock enabled as it should be (& is covered in the owner manual). 

I made it meticulously clear to my dealers what I was talking about, explaining in detail about how if you unlock the car but do not open any door car should auto relock and re-arm alarm after 45 seconds. Though I must admit I had to explain to them more than once for it to sink in.

Yetiman65 - What you say about the AutoLock is an interesting point and it makes me wonder if in some cases the wrong auto lock feature has been disabled by FMC.

Only in as much as my car has the Auto Lock when driving feature and it is an active feature, but does not have the Auto Relock when car unlocked but no doors opened.

This would seemingly boil down to two letters before the word lock "Re" as in AutoLock (When car being driven) Auto Relock (when doors unlocked but not opened). :blink:

Though I add that I made it clear to my dealers I was talking about Auto Relock, even to the point of going to my car with my salesman and he and one of his colleagues tried the auto relock going as far as to time it on a mobile phone app (after I had again made it clear what I was talking about).

Happy motoring 

Dave :toot:

IT LOCKS!

I’ve just taken my car into the dealer (EH Blackpool) after seeing the Adaptive Steering Malfunction message and they’ve ordered a replacement steering wheel. Whilst in, I thought i’d try my luck and asked (again) whether they could reconfigure the BCMI... 

When I went to collect my car, I was informed that they had reconfigured the BCMI! Really? Feeling skeptical, I went out and checked to see if it relocked automatically if I unlocked the car and didn’t open a door. After 45 seconds... IT RELOCKED!! I tried it again and it again relocked after 45 seconds!

I don’t know whether this was dealer’s discretion, or Ford have approved this... But. It. Now. Works!

Is it sad that I feel so excited about this? I’ve only been fighting for it for 16 months...

#happybunny

• Like 1

If any of the dealers question the functionality or availability of Relock, just show them my video's on YouTube ... just search for "UK 2016 Ford Edge Relock" ! No argument, it is available, just needs correctly configuring in the BCM to enable it!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Still chasing my dealers on the auto relock, have not given up.

Car now booked in for more warranty, my lane assist has stopped assisting (again). Had this problem once before which was cured under warranty.

Will give another chase on auto relock, as well as alarm going off twice now in the recent past for no reason.

Also seat belt warning system telling me to put on seat belt that is already being worn when driving down the road.

I have records of dates/times in my faults diary that I still keep going and up to date.

Tailgate threw a wobbler and would not shut. When I did get it to shut, it then took me 20 minutes to get it to open again. This will also be looked at on next warranty visit.

Lets see what report dealers give me to say about all this in couple of weeks when car goes in.

Will post answers after warranty work done.

Happy Motoring

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Are you ready for a laugh?

Ford's latest excuse for the Auto Relock not working - My car is "The Wrong Shape" to have this feature fitted.

Yep, you did not misread it, I was told my car is the wrong shape to have Auto Relock (Whatever next???)

This, after they told me that it was not working because I had keys on me when next to car, so I asked in that case how do I unlock car to get in if I not supposed to have keys to hand?

Looks like a trip to Basingstoke may well be on the cards, with my dealers paying ALL expenses.

For the rest of the report :-

Seat belt warning, Tailgate issues, Lane Assist - No faults found - I told them that was strange as I never turn off Lane Assist (after they told me it was turned off?).

Alarm - Car is booked in next month for a few days for them to test further - must have found a fault but don't know what to do/how to fix (IMO).

Also I reported NSF door getting hard to open by my passengers from inside - was reported that they greased door hinge/striker - now even harder to open from inside.

With all this lack of knowledge I am starting to lose faith in my dealer's engineer's capabilities to fix my car properly/correctly.

When I told my salesman what I had been told, I nearly had to pick him up off the floor.

Car due to go in next month (I still have to wait for a decent sized courtesy car as has to be booked in advance, (or is it also that they have to find out how to fix correctly?)).

I will report progress after next visit.

Happy motoring

Dave

• Haha 2

Everyone knows that auto-relock can only be configured in a coupe shaped car. Thought you would realise !! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

On 9/14/2018 at 4:51 AM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

Are you ready for a laugh?

Ford's latest excuse for the Auto Relock not working - My car is "The Wrong Shape" to have this feature fitted.

Yep, you did not misread it, I was told my car is the wrong shape to have Auto Relock (Whatever next???)

This, after they told me that it was not working because I had keys on me when next to car, so I asked in that case how do I unlock car to get in if I not supposed to have keys to hand?

Looks like a trip to Basingstoke may well be on the cards, with my dealers paying ALL expenses.

For the rest of the report :-

Seat belt warning, Tailgate issues, Lane Assist - No faults found - I told them that was strange as I never turn off Lane Assist (after they told me it was turned off?).

Alarm - Car is booked in next month for a few days for them to test further - must have found a fault but don't know what to do/how to fix (IMO).

Also I reported NSF door getting hard to open by my passengers from inside - was reported that they greased door hinge/striker - now even harder to open from inside.

With all this lack of knowledge I am starting to lose faith in my dealer's engineer's capabilities to fix my car properly/correctly.

When I told my salesman what I had been told, I nearly had to pick him up off the floor.

Car due to go in next month (I still have to wait for a decent sized courtesy car as has to be booked in advance, (or is it also that they have to find out how to fix correctly?)).

I will report progress after next visit.

Happy motoring

Dave

OK, just remind us which Dealer and branch this is?

But also folks, just remember, when most forum posters say Ford, they mean a Dealer, not the manufacturer.

Its quite worrying they told you what they did.

H

All sales staff and mechanics in Ford main dealerships get regular training courses. There is no need for staff to come up with complete codswallop. In fact the person concerned should be reported to his / her superiors. 

On 9/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, Hamster said:

OK, just remind us which Dealer and branch this is?

But also folks, just remember, when most forum posters say Ford, they mean a Dealer, not the manufacturer.

Its quite worrying they told you what they did.

H

It's Think Ford Basingstoke. https://www.baronsgroup.co.uk/ford/locations/think-ford-basingstoke I must have sat on mine to change the shape I guess!