Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New MK8 ST-Line 140 Throttle Buzzing Noise

martinf64

Hi, I'm from Poland and my fiesta also has a buzer. I recorded this sound in 9 seconds unless I hear it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B473AfrNKoYw9buXSg-k1dXbNAcXhe_O/view?usp=sharing

And here I have the impression that the sound comes from these areas where cables meet

2018-07-10_22-53-24.png

Has this been repaired in your car?

Regards

23 hours ago, wowo213 said:

Hi, I'm from Poland and my fiesta also has a buzer. I recorded this sound in 9 seconds unless I hear it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B473AfrNKoYw9buXSg-k1dXbNAcXhe_O/view?usp=sharing

And here I have the impression that the sound comes from these areas where cables meet

2018-07-10_22-53-24.png

Has this been repaired in your car?

Regards

Still trying to get it sorted with the dealer.... not impressed at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I picked up my brand new MK8 1.0 (99bhp) Fiesta Titanium X last week, it now has almost 400 miles on the clock. It's the auto version and it's superb. I bought it after having the identical vehicle as a hire car a couple of weeks back and driving it for around 500 miles over 2 days.

Sadly, my new car has a feature the hire car didn't ..it buzzes. Only quietly (like a wasp in a jam jar in the glove box) and only under acceleration - lift / ease off the throttle and it stops buzzing. Press the throttle and it buzzes again. Does it from startup, and it's only throttle position related.

Does anyone have any news / updates on this? (Appreciate the post is originally about the 140 bhp engine, but it sounds very similar)

Thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...

mine is a Fiesta Vignale ecoboost 100. 

The noise I'm experiencing is this. It doesn't make it with cold engine. It becomes louder when hot, at around 1800-2000 rpm and on bumpy roads. It started after the routine first check made by the dealer workshop, they checked and added the cooling liquid, because I told them it was dropped to minimum (it's steady since then, they put too much of it though,over the max...)

Maybe the noise is related to the cooling system pipes (vibrations)?  Surely it comes from the engine, because is heat related.

I'll try to find out...

• Like 1

I talked with the Ford mechanic by phone, he had a Fiesta with a similar issue and he solved it: the noise was coming from the engine (air pipes or something, don't remember right now,the phone call was disturbed) Next Wednesday I'll know better, 'cause I'm going there: if that's the cause, it's a matter of five minutes,he said... I really hope so!

16 hours ago, Jeroel said:

I talked with the Ford mechanic by phone, he had a Fiesta with a similar issue and he solved it: the noise was coming from the engine (air pipes or something, don't remember right now,the phone call was disturbed) Next Wednesday I'll know better, 'cause I'm going there: if that's the cause, it's a matter of five minutes,he said... I really hope so!

The mechanic may be talking about the main air input pipes at the front of the front of the engine bay, the connection point is a very loose fit and could rattle. They may have done this to prevent the natural vibration of the engine causing a failure in the connection. To me the connection is too loose but I haven't done anything about it because my buzzing noises were in the cabin but would be interested what you come back with.

Some feedback on the buzzing sounds that sparked this post.

The buzzing when the throttle was pressed when the engine at temperature seems to be solved. This noise was coming from the passenger glove box or the fuse/relay unit behind this. Apparently this was caused by a loose connection in the passenger side door...I found this hard to believe but the noise has definitely stopped...I suspect they found something else, possibly on the fuse/relay unit (I have heard Ford have had previous connection problems in this area).

The second buzzing noise from the dash area was also blamed on the connection in the door...apparently the buzzing was resonating from the door, behind the dash to the centre of the dash...I thought this was BS, however this buzzing also stopped. It has however now started again (not constant though) after 6 weeks of silence.

I believe this one is coming from the passenger door card which is now squeaking as you ride over bumps and is noticeable if the inner door handle is pulled (drivers door doesn't make these sounds when pulled). Squeaking/buzzing stops if passenger presses/hold the door panel. I have had the door panel off and you can see where the dealer has put foam pads around each panel clip location...these have definitely been added by the dealer as the pads have their name on them. Also one of the panel clips is missing...anyone know part number of these? My plan is to remove these pads to get it back to factory and then do my own investigations/solutions to solve this one...not really trusting the dealer after the hassle they put me through...but that's another story....

Sorry to hear that, I'm not trusting them too much myself, although they didn't disappoint me yet... they heard the noise (and this is good) and told me the engine isn't the cause of the irritating noise: it comes from the interiors (dashboard?Door panel?). I set a date in October, so they can check it better. They will lend me a courtesy car in the meantime. Can't say I'm happy about all this, my fear is that they can make it worse ...

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE THE FIX!!!

[SOLUTION] The noise is coming from the heating pipes close to the pedals. You have to attach the two pipes from the evaporator with a tie strap. The pipes are in the following location: as you open the hood, right behind the intake hose (this hose is located in between the air box and the throttle body). If you remove the hose by losening the clamps, you will se two pipes that pass throught to the cabin. The tie straps have to be placed attaching those two pipes. This fixes the free movement between them and the noise stops.

In the image, you can see the two tie straps needed for the fix, painted in yellow and blue. They have to be fited like this and tight.

If you want your dealer to do this, ask them for Ford OASIS message 6893 (in FordETIS). If they don't have acces to that code, as this is a temporary fix, you will have to wait to Ford to post the final solution via Technical service Bulletin (TSB) or just do it by yourself as this is a really easy fix to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO! This fix worked on my car too!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the fix. I'm ridiculously happy about this. I really love my Fiesta, but the 'wasp in a jam jar' noise in the glovebox area was driving me mental, and taking the shine off driving the car.

BTW: I used a single tie strap, in the 'blue' location. I used a really fat one (about 1cm wide) to avoid the risk of digging into the hoses, and I placed it immediately behind the black plastic separator in order to give the hoses something to push into rather than just squeeze them together.

Happy days - thanks again!

(I'm assuming your car is left hand drive? On a right hand drive car, the two hoses are on the opposite side of the car to the pedals. Same location as per the picture but on a rhd vehicle these are on the passenger's side, so no throttle / brake components here).

3 hours ago, EightiesDuntonFordie said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the fix. I'm ridiculously happy about this. I really love my Fiesta, but the 'wasp in a jam jar' noise in the glovebox area was driving me mental, and taking the shine off driving the car.

BTW: I used a single tie strap, in the 'blue' location. I used a really fat one (about 1cm wide) to avoid the risk of digging into the hoses, and I placed it immediately behind the black plastic separator in order to give the hoses something to push into rather than just squeeze them together.

(I'm assuming your car is left hand drive? On a right hand drive car, the two hoses are on the opposite side of the car to the pedals. Same location as per the picture but on a rhd vehicle these are on the passenger's side, so no throttle / brake components here).

I have checked my car and I already have two spacer clips separating the two hoses in this area which should keep the hoses apart. Is the tie strap in additional to these two spacers to tighten everything up? My buzzing has returned although it sounds more from the Sat Nav screen area rather than the glove box now...it's very weird as its not occurring all the time. Sometimes I think its worst first thing in the morning and quiets down once the interior warms up but I have been proved wrong many times with this particular problem.

Yes, the spacer clips keep the hoses apart ..but they don't seem to stop them resonating. The addition of the tie strap holds the two hoses in a fixed position. I'm assuming this acts a bit like holding the string down on a guitar - by changing the 'free' length it changes the resonant frequency. Either way, it works on my car. The wasp has gone!!

BTW, in looking for answers to this problem I found a Technical service Bulletin that addresses a problem with a "Ticking noise from the instrument panel behind the information and entertainment display unit". This wasn't relevant to my car, but might be to yours?

This is TSB 18-2016 (dated 19th Jan 2018) and refers to vehicles built between 01.05.2017 and 23.09.2017 at the Niehl (Cologne) plant

4 hours ago, EightiesDuntonFordie said:

Yes my car is left hand drive, so where you have your glovebox i have pedalier haha 

5 hours ago, EightiesDuntonFordie said:

Yes, the spacer clips keep the hoses apart ..but they don't seem to stop them resonating. The addition of the tie strap holds the two hoses in a fixed position. I'm assuming this acts a bit like holding the string down on a guitar - by changing the 'free' length it changes the resonant frequency. Either way, it works on my car. The wasp has gone!!

BTW, in looking for answers to this problem I found a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses a problem with a "Ticking noise from the instrument panel behind the information and entertainment display unit". This wasn't relevant to my car, but might be to yours?

This is TSB 18-2016 (dated 19th Jan 2018) and refers to vehicles built between 01.05.2017 and 23.09.2017 at the Niehl (Cologne) plant

Might try a couple of cable ties on mine over weekend to see if they stop my dash buzzing...you never know. If you could upload photo of what you have done it would be greatly appreciated. Ford build quality is somewhat disappointing, moved to Ford after 20 years of Fiats and Alfas...never had these problems with them.

Not a brilliant pic, but hopefully you can make out the fat cable tie around the heater hoses and behind (i.e. bulkhead side) but adjacent to the black plastic pipe separator. 

(I've been driving around all day today ..blissfully free of any buzzing, squeaking or rattling!)

Wasp fix pic.JPG

5 hours ago, EightiesDuntonFordie said:

Not a brilliant pic, but hopefully you can make out the fat cable tie around the heater hoses and behind (i.e. bulkhead side) but adjacent to the black plastic pipe separator. 

(I've been driving around all day today ..blissfully free of any buzzing, squeaking or rattling!)

Wasp fix pic.JPG

Cheers for the pic, will give it a go over weekend.

• 1 month later...

Wow thanks guys! I'm happy I found this, for some reason my car started resonating after 15.000 miles. It only occurs when I hit the throttle and between 2.000 and 3.000 rpm, then it's gone again. I'm going to give it a shot.

Edit: placing was a piece of cake, also used one strap just behind the separator. Let's hope it fixes the issue as it did for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just picked up a few weeks back my Fiesta ST Line X 140, same buzzing when engine at temperature as shared in the first Google Drive link posted by Martinf64, an absolutely identical noise, so clearly this is still an issue as my vehicle was a factory build.

Loose connection in door, feels like the wrong area compared to the noise location (glove box) but in the absence of anything obvious will await the dealer verdict and post back here.

Hopefully dealers keep a log of these issues and fixes between themselves!

Hopefully dealers keep a log of these issues and fixes between themselves!

I fear you're expecting too much there!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

My ford fiesta ST 3 is factory build only a couple of weeks old and my dashboard rattles and the buzzing sounds is from the passenger side I can't seem to see or feel anything losse in the engine bay or under the dashboard. Driving me nuts. 

IV sorted the dashboard noise out by parting a thick bit of rubber in between the two pipes .

The buzzing sound.i haven't found gonna do the heater pipes in the engine bay soon 

But theres a noise near the sat nav too car isn't that old. 

15 hours ago, James31 said:

IV sorted the dashboard noise out by parting a thick bit of rubber in between the two pipes .

The buzzing sound.i haven't found gonna do the heater pipes in the engine bay soon 

Which two pipes have you put the rubber between?

My original buzzing noise with throttle at temperature disappeared after dealer had it in, they said it was from passenger door but I suspect they tightened the plastic bracket on the two heater pipes. I've added the tie-wrap solution just to be sure.

I still have a faint noise from the Sat Nav area which may be a connector or wiring loom behind it vibrating on the chassis when going over rough road surfaces. I've not had a good look at this yet, still trying to work out how to get behind the Sat Nav unit or air con unit without taking the dash out.

I also still have noises from the passenger side door particularly as the door stresses when going round corners. This is the door panel moving so I know what to do to solve this, just haven't got round to doing it yet...its a pain getting the door panel off.

16 hours ago, James31 said:

I guess you mean the two heater matrix pipes in the passenger footwell area? I noticed these also, and have been fiddling wedging bits here and there. I actually wonder if the buzz is them rattling where they pass through the plastic guides into the engine bay. Mine creaks over speed bumps, if you grab the two pipes and push them gently (not when hot, it burns) they creak in the bulkhead guides. I think putting cable ties in the engine bay stop the engine vibrations a bit to the bulkhead fitting (engine side) where the hoses connect to the hard pipes into the cabin, in mine this helped but did not fix. For sure it is something about the metal pipes, I have attached a picture. You need to get your head right in after removing the felt cover over the fuse box, which also moves an alarming amount! 

Screenshot_20190101-155153_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Which two pipes have you put the rubber between?

My original buzzing noise with throttle at temperature disappeared after dealer had it in, they said it was from passenger door but I suspect they tightened the plastic bracket on the two heater pipes. I've added the tie-wrap solution just to be sure.

I still have a faint noise from the Sat Nav area which may be a connector or wiring loom behind it vibrating on the chassis when going over rough road surfaces. I've not had a good look at this yet, still trying to work out how to get behind the Sat Nav unit or air con unit without taking the dash out.

I also still have noises from the passenger side door particularly as the door stresses when going round corners. This is the door panel moving so I know what to do to solve this, just haven't got round to doing it yet...its a pain getting the door panel off.

My car is a right hand drive there's two pipes near the clutch pedal I'll try and get a picture tomorrow for you. So far the dashboard been quite and I can enjoy the drive again. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club