Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New MK8 ST-Line 140 Throttle Buzzing Noise

martinf64

4 hours ago, jimbobford36 said:

I guess you mean the two heater matrix pipes in the passenger footwell area? I noticed these also, and have been fiddling wedging bits here and there. I actually wonder if the buzz is them rattling where they pass through the plastic guides into the engine bay. Mine creaks over speed bumps, if you grab the two pipes and push them gently (not when hot, it burns) they creak in the bulkhead guides. I think putting cable ties in the engine bay stop the engine vibrations a bit to the bulkhead fitting (engine side) where the hoses connect to the hard pipes into the cabin, in mine this helped but did not fix. For sure it is something about the metal pipes, I have attached a picture. You need to get your head right in after removing the felt cover over the fuse box, which also moves an alarming amount! 

Screenshot_20190101-155153_Gallery.jpg

Is your car a right had drive or left ? Mine is a right hand drive so the two pipes are right near the clutch pedal is mine a Ford Fiesta ST 3 2018 I'll try and get a picture of mine for you guys hope this helps .

53 minutes ago, James31 said:

My car is a right hand drive there's two pipes near the clutch pedal I'll try and get a picture tomorrow for you. So far the dashboard been quite and I can enjoy the drive again. 

Pic would be good to see...will be interesting if holding the pipes apart as you have done stops the occasional quiet buzzing I'm hearing from the dash.

43 minutes ago, James31 said:

Is your car a right had drive or left ? Mine is a right hand drive so the two pipes are right near the clutch pedal is mine a Ford Fiesta ST 3 2018 I'll try and get a picture of mine for you guys hope this helps .

Ok, mine right hand drive UK, 2018 model st line x, not ST, the two pipes are passenger side that go to heater matrix, behind the trim. Picture would be great, thanks! There are two other pipes that go through to the inside from engine bay but these look like AC pipes, they are silver in engine bay, on left, metallic, and pass through nearer driver side.Screenshot_20190101-212716_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f2f2f49f38b33e283e0afa9c3988c8d3.jpg

11 minutes ago, jimbobford36 said:

Ok, mine right hand drive UK, 2018 model st line x, not ST, the two pipes are passenger side that go to heater matrix, behind the trim. Picture would be great, thanks! There are two other pipes that go through to the inside from engine bay but these look like AC pipes, they are silver in engine bay, on left, metallic, and pass through nearer driver side.Screenshot_20190101-212716_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f2f2f49f38b33e283e0afa9c3988c8d3.jpg

I think mine are AC pipes but near the clutch pedal not sure if there the say but tomorrow I will definitely try and get a picture. I haven't cable tied mine together yet just stuck the rubber there. I haven't done the two heater pipes in the engine yet like yours which I'm.gonna do hopefully soon as I'm getting that same buzzing sound. 

19 minutes ago, martinf64 said:

Pic would be good to see...will be interesting if holding the pipes apart as you have done stops the occasional quiet buzzing I'm hearing from the dash.

This is the rubber I'm using but I need to cut it down to size. 

Screenshot_20190101_214654.jpg

Interesting, thanks for that. I actually think that maybe the fittings in the engine bay, the stud couplings onto the metal tubes may vibrate a bit when warm. I am going to take a look at them next, to see if they can be secured better, as the cable ties seemed to work for a while but maybe are not the permanent fix! The buzz is like a small wasp stuck in the glove box at certain revs... sound familiar?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbobford36 said:

Interesting, thanks for that. I actually think that maybe the fittings in the engine bay, the stud couplings onto the metal tubes may vibrate a bit when warm. I am going to take a look at them next, to see if they can be secured better, as the cable ties seemed to work for a while but maybe are not the permanent fix! The buzz is like a small wasp stuck in the glove box at certain revs... sound familiar?

Yeah mine sound like that too like a wasp but only on rough roads hot new tarmac got nothing rough roads just the wasp/buzzing sound. 

11 hours ago, jimbobford36 said:

IMG_20190102_090240.jpg

11 hours ago, martinf64 said:

IMG_20190102_090240.jpg

On 1/1/2019 at 10:30 PM, jimbobford36 said:

This is the solution, my car is left handed so the noise comes from the footwell but if your car is right handed the noise will come from the glovebox or similar. The solution is to attach the heater hoses exactly like in the photo i quote. Mention that the hoses that need to be attached are in the engine compartment.

Yes, the quoted photo is my photo, this worked, for a while, maybe 1 month but now it is back! 😫 plan is to check the ties are still tight, and also evaluate if the hose fittings can be secured better at bulkhead. I think they are push fit onto the heater pipes, like a shower pump, when warm they have some movement when engine under light load, the movement is not there in the fitting when they are cold. Have you done the same with the cable ties? Did it fix it completely? Could you post a photo? Right now this is my only issue with my fun new Fiesta!

I only have one tie strap fitted, the one behind the original fixer in the photo(furthest one). I can confirm that it only stopped at all with one tie strap. If I put another one then it starts the noise again. Try with only one strap by cutting the one that is closest to you from a frontal view when you open the hood.

1 hour ago, Chancee said:

I only have one tie strap fitted, the one behind the original fixer in the photo(furthest one). I can confirm that it only stopped at all with one tie strap. If I put another one then it starts the noise again. Try with only one strap by cutting the one that is closest to you from a frontal view when you open the hood.

Thanks! I will give that a go! Did you have it right next to the existing fixing, or a little way away?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:11 PM, jimbobford36 said:

Thanks! I will give that a go! Did you have it right next to the existing fixing, or a little way away?

NExt to the existing fixing. You just have to try and play a little bit with it by puting one, check if the noise is gone, if it's not, then try to put a new one in  a different position after removing the existing one. It can be fixed with only one strap. But in the end, the position of the strap is very similar to the one in the photo.

• 2 months later...

Dealer replaced the O rings on those pipes in the engine bay in my 68 reg 100ps Zetec. Noise gone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, Zetec100 said:

Dealer replaced the O rings on those pipes in the engine bay in my 68 reg 100ps Zetec. Noise gone!

Hi! U mean the heater matrix pipes in the engine bay, where the flex hoses attach to the pipes by the bulkhead? Interesting, mine is buzzing, creaking and rattling like crazy now so will get it booked in. When you pull and wiggle them they creak and rattle like mad when warm, mine is a 68 plate too.

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much @Chancee@EightiesDuntonFordie and @jimbobford36 for the solution + clear images!

I've been driving a left-hand drive Fiesta ST-Line (latest model 2019) for one and a half week now. While I am loving it so far, this buzzing noise under load/throttle around 1900-2000RPM was becoming very annoying. The noise being on the left, so the driver's side, made the buzz very obvious even while having music on at normal volume. 

It took quite a bit of searching online before I found your solution, and I feared the dealer would probably not know (or care enough) to solve this. Luckily it turned out all that was needed is the temporary removal of the air intake duct and placement of 2 simple tie-wraps! 

I can also confirm this works!

I own a 2019 125hp fiesta st line and since day one I’ve been hearing the buzzing noise behind the dash at around 1.8 to 2k rpm. I tried this fix yesterday just for the heck of it and now the noise is gone!!!

Thank you very much!

Greetings from Spain.

That’s strange.

I’ve just bought a Brand new, Ford Fiesta St Line EcoBoost 100. Absolutely perfect for the first few day’s. 

but now, like wirh you, when I accelerate, By even a small amount, I have a buzzing noise which appears too! It isn’t loud, but it’s extremely annoying. 

I rang them up and mentioned it and they said it was a characteristic with the car. I feel like they’re trying to fob it off- or is it a genuine thing to happen? I’ve booked in for them to have a look at it anyway.

surely this shouldn’t happen. You’d have thought so anyway 

3 hours ago, RichardR21 said:

I rang them up and mentioned it and they said it was a characteristic with the car

Think that might translate as :-  it's a known problem we've seen before but have no Idea how to fix. 

I’ve rang them and it’s Booked in with them for the day. From what I’ve read, it’s happened a lot but people have managed to fix it. My car is only 4 week old and done 700 mile. It will be covered under warrantee anyway.

very annoying tho. This shouldn’t happen, especially on  a new car 

17 hours ago, RichardR21 said:

That’s strange.

I’ve just bought a Brand new, Ford Fiesta St Line EcoBoost 100. Absolutely perfect for the first few day’s. 

but now, like wirh you, when I accelerate, By even a small amount, I have a buzzing noise which appears too! It isn’t loud, but it’s extremely annoying. 

I rang them up and mentioned it and they said it was a characteristic with the car. I feel like they’re trying to fob it off- or is it a genuine thing to happen? I’ve booked in for them to have a look at it anyway.

surely this shouldn’t happen. You’d have thought so anyway 

Try the mentioned zip tie fix. It will definitely remove that annoying noise.

Better than waiting for them to make you wait and book your brand new car to do nothing to it lol.

I wouldn’t even know where to start with all of that 😕

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard ..tried (and failed) to add these pics to my reply to your message, so I'll try posting them here. I've just been out to my car and taken these. First pic is the engine bay, and the green spoon thing at the back is where you need to look down into to see the pipes. Second pic is looking down there (where the spoon handle is!) and I've put that yellow box around where the cable tie is. It's infront of the pipe separator, it's a nice wide cable tie (about 1cm wide) and it's just tight enough to hold the pipes together, but definitely not tight enough to squeeze or collapse them. Hope this helps!

engine bay.jpeg

close up.jpeg

46 minutes ago, EightiesDuntonFordie said:

Hi Richard ..tried (and failed) to add these pics to my reply to your message, so I'll try posting them here. I've just been out to my car and taken these. First pic is the engine bay, and the green spoon thing at the back is where you need to look down into to see the pipes. Second pic is looking down there (where the spoon handle is!) and I've put that yellow box around where the cable tie is. It's infront of the pipe separator, it's a nice wide cable tie (about 1cm wide) and it's just tight enough to hold the pipes together, but definitely not tight enough to squeeze or collapse them. Hope this helps!

engine bay.jpeg

close up.jpeg

Is the plastic clip thats holding them together too loose , think must be same on mk7.5 does the cable tie make the pipes tighter and these noises go?