Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I buy Edge

dredge3

Hi. My wife is looking at buying an Edge. It has to tow a horse Box now and again. Were running into problems.You can no longer order a new one, or Fiesta etc. Same with a few companies.

They have to comply with new regs on testing emissions (WLTP). So many are holding back. Fords new Edge is due out, so we are stuck. I have found the odd one.

She wants a manual gearbox, so limits us. We like the all black or red ST line. Ford have 0, just the other 2 models. I have found one but its a sport. What difference is there between the sport and the st line? We want a sunroof. It lists it as an extra on all new models yet all the sport models I have looked at are fitted with one. Could only find autos for a test drive, so tried a used sport on a 66 plate.

Ride was really good with no roll. Down side. It had bad turbo lag in first and second. Once it was off, it was fine. Guessing the autos dont have the same issues as they have more power and duel turbos.

I didnt like lt not having a digital speed display. It looked odd and hard to read. The ave mpg said 25?

Sport vs ST Line is a badge, name and model year ! Sport is 2016/2017, ST Line is 2017+. The option combos are slightly different, so you need to look at the spec of the models that are available to you.

I have one of the first Aug 2016 - 210 PS Auto Sport (w/sync3) and it pulls like an ox (Especially if driven in Sport Mode). 

You'll only get the digital speed if its a late 2016 (built Aug 2016 onwards) Sync 3 fitted model.

I test drove a manual and wasn't impressed with the pickup. The Auto is far better and once you get used to an auto, its a pleasure to drive.

I get 34 to 35 mpg around town and 40 to 45 mpg on motorway runs.

A few people have had issues with roof glass cracking, leaky roof, water in rear light lenses, tailgate not behaving, options not being configured that the same models owned by other have and Sync 3 updates not being very forthcoming and maps which are over 3 years old !

Don't get me wrong, it has issues like other cars, but its an absolute dream to drive and I don't plan of changing mine anytime soon! 😁

Don't waste your money mine has been at the Ford dealers 5 weeks trying to fix sunroof,still not fixed, seems to be a major issue with these sunroofs. General quality very poor.Had Kuga before far superior in build  quality.Cannot recommend Edge for price.

So, poor dealer then. The vehicles good, very good, you don't get bad vehicles anymore.

But you do get poor dealers.

Which dealer is it?

H

44 minutes ago, Never Bored With A Ford said:

Don't waste your money mine has been at the Ford dealers 5 weeks trying to fix sunroof,still not fixed, seems to be a major issue with these sunroofs. General quality very poor.Had Kuga before far superior in build  quality.Cannot recommend Edge for price.

We drove a 66 plate and sunroof was very fast. We have a Skoda VRS estate and loads of problems with sunroof. Sticking. Not shutting. Floor well full of water, said it was dirt in drain holes. We use the sunroof A LOT. Get the dog smell out

I have a sunroof which I use on pretty much every trip. 14000 and 15 months and no issues. It’ll probably break tonight now!

31 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

I have a sunroof which I use on pretty much every trip. 14000 and 15 months and no issues. It’ll probably break tonight now!

Could the sunroof breaking be anything to do with bad roads )pot holes) we have some of the worst

I think the Edge is great.  Only problem in 21000 miles was a steering vibration under moderate braking.  Front disks and pads changed under warranty with no quibbling.  Tows great, not bad off road (mild) and handles better than my last 2 Mondeos.  Oh, and averaging 40 mpg. 

PS. I chose not to have a sunroof as they all leak eventually regardless of make of car.

I bought an Auto 2016 plate (Sync 2) 210ps Sport without a sunroof (because I wanted the roof rails). Massively pleased with it after previously spending 8 years driving Land Rovers. I loved my Land Rover Discovery as the family car but oh my... the faults, the breakdowns due to Limp-Home and crash modes engaging for no particular reason.  The constant wear on the drive train, suspension and brakes, the random boot and door latch failures, the air con compressor failing and did I mention Limp-Home... In my head I can still hear my kids in the back of the Discovery saying "oh no... " every time the car 'bings' before forcing me to drive at 40mph on the M1, M4, M3 and M25 (usually through roadworks), with every light and failure messages flashing across the high-tech displays.  Every car has it's niggles but the so called premium brands seem to have some really special ones these days. I went back to Ford because I wanted to get back to something more reliable, tested and built for the road, not space travel.

I could not be happier . The Edge takes me back to a time when cars felt like they were made for driving. The Edge Sport is responsive and goes around corners much better than any of the other SUVs I have tried. The only issue so far with the Edge has been a rattle from the rear number plate, fixed with a bit of foam. 

I thought I would miss the Land Rover, but hell no. Long live the Ford Edge. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dredge3 said:

Could the sunroof breaking be anything to do with bad roads )pot holes) we have some of the worst

Went to Wales a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how good their roads are compared to the ones in England !! It does seem worse on some counties than others as well !

On 6/4/2018 at 1:38 PM, simonb65 said:

Went to Wales a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how good their roads are compared to the ones in England !! It does seem worse on some counties than others as well !

Don’t bother coming up to Scotland @simonb65 as the roads are 5h1t

up here !

• Haha 2

Buy it, you will love it. But please get the powershift.

20,000 miles in 12 months in ours and none of the problems listed above. Great car.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:32 PM, simonb65 said:

Sport vs ST Line is a badge, name and model year ! Sport is 2016/2017, ST Line is 2017+. The option combos are slightly different, so you need to look at the spec of the models that are available to you.

I have one of the first Aug 2016 - 210 PS Auto Sport (w/sync3) and it pulls like an ox (Especially if driven in Sport Mode). 

You'll only get the digital speed if its a late 2016 (built Aug 2016 onwards) Sync 3 fitted model.

I test drove a manual and wasn't impressed with the pickup. The Auto is far better and once you get used to an auto, its a pleasure to drive.

I get 34 to 35 mpg around town and 40 to 45 mpg on motorway runs.

A few people have had issues with roof glass cracking, leaky roof, water in rear light lenses, tailgate not behaving, options not being configured that the same models owned by other have and Sync 3 updates not being very forthcoming and maps which are over 3 years old !

Don't get me wrong, it has issues like other cars, but its an absolute dream to drive and I don't plan of changing mine anytime soon! 😁

Hi All

I too, have one of the first Aug 2016 Registered Edges.

I have the Titanium model with lux pack with full length sun roof larger screen with sat nav and extra Speakers, and Manual transmission, etc.

Have had no problems with sunroof, other than having to close it due to sun being too hot on our heads (yes there was a day or two of this heat)

I took both auto and manual out for test drives and have to say I preferred manual over auto (that just goes down to personal preference for most of us, I think).

Recently had a Land rover discovery (about same age as mine) seemingly try to bully me going round a small roundabout, but I think I suprised the driver by not backing off, (and causing hm to stay in lane instead of cutting across lanes whilst going round roundabout). My car does like cornering and seems to stay glued to the road.

Must have done as he (again seemingly) booted it past me further down the dual carriageway we were on, I just let him get on with it (could not be bothered to play).

But, I have to query you're stating Sync 3, as surely this came out later than 2016 (if I remember correctly).

Being a early model, mine was plagued with quite a few problems (Have been posted elsewhere on these forums).

But as you end by saying, I too really still enjoy my car, and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

Happy motoring.

Dave

Dave

On 6/17/2018 at 9:15 AM, DavesEdge said:

But, I have to query you're stating Sync 3, as surely this came out later than 2016 (if I remember correctly).

Mine was built 8th Sept 2016 and is Sync 3. Of the cars shipped on the same boat as mine (and there was 136 of them), the earliest build was 25th August 2016, the latest was 13th October 2016 and they are all Sync 3. My original production slot was 4th August an that was Sync 2 ... which is why I got the dealer to get me a new build schedule 4 weeks later. This was after a conversation with the Ford UK EDGE launch manager who gave the Sync 3 cut in date of mid August. I suspect my boat was the first batch of Sync 3 for the UK/Europe and mine was the 3rd in chronological build order :-)

Got a free 210PS Auto upgrade out of it too as the dealer messed up the re-order !!! I originally was scheduled to get a 180PS Manual :-) Glad I got the Auto now, but as you say, that's a lot to do with personal preference.

Also ... there was only a 1 month crossover period between getting Sync 3 and the phasing out of the 2016 launch colours! So I got an old colour with new Infotainment (1 of only 6 with that combo)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club