Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofitting start stop technology

Ghia15

Hi. 

I have two mondeo’s In my little fleet, really love the feel of them and the way they drive. 

Both are 57 plate, one is a 1.8 tdci zetec estate and the other is a 2.5t titaniumX hatchback. 

What i I would like to know is how easy is it to retrofit the start stop function onto them. 

The zetec is the std dash with the key but the titaniumX has the converse+ and keyless with the power button. 

Not so so worried about the diesel but it would be a great help on the 2.5t. 

Any advice or am I wasting my time?

thanks

I am no expert, but i do know that a different starter motor and battery are needed to cope with the added demand, add to this there will no doubt be a mire of electrical work and software to deal with, then any other problems that will no doubt rear their ugly heads, not to mention the labour involved, you may find that the cost of retrofitting, may come nowhere near the cost savings in fuel unless you keep the car for ever.

You may get a more informed reply, but as you have had this post up for a few days, it looks unlikely.

Fair point. 

Didnt realise the starters were different. 

Will keep an ear ear to the ground about it though  

thanks

Not worth the hassle IMHO, gets very irritating in stop,start traffic, I switch mine off most of the time

As above it wouldn't be worth refitting.  It's purely for saving emissions in town centres, it won't save you any (noticeable) fuel.  Even the official figures only show 0.1MPG difference between stop start and non-stop start models lol.

I don't mind it, but I don't do much stop start town traffic, when I do the jerky engine and horrible clutch in the Focus are far more of an annoyance lol.  Most of the time for me it just stops at traffic lights where I'd otherwise be waiting for several minutes with the engine running, but I can see it getting annoying if you edge forward in rush hour traffic every day.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club